Veiled egg question

Mredhorse

Here is the info---
Female veiled has laid two cluches of eggs and all were yellow. The first cluch was infertile or seemed to be, with eggs showing no sigh of change I decided to open one and they were infertile.

Second cluch were yellow (laid March 3rd) and after 3 months decided to turn incubator off but in most of the eggs I noticed a pinhead size red dot.

Is this just the yolk breaking down? I have raised turtles, chickens, bearded pygmies, but no veiled eggs.(those all had a clear sign of embro development)

The shells are rubbery/firm and have no fungus. The color is still yellow, but the red dot is confusing me.
Thanks for any informatioin, I would hate to be getting rid of fertile eggs just because I did not wait long enough.
Personally I don't think they are good (but have been wrong before):) and wanted a successful veiled breeders opinioin.

Thanks
added pics. 1st is in the lower left of clutch and 3rd is in middle of cluch.

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 141
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 207
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 144
I would never throw eggs out until they mold over. They may very well be good if your femle was mated.

She has definatly been breed. (witnessed the FULL hook-up atleast 6 times)

The yellow color seems to be what is confusing me.
I have read that in the wild, some stages of growth can actually stop until conditions are right. (not sure where I read it and this was about 15 years ago)

With the advice so far, I will wait and see what happens.

THanks for the speedy response.

Been with a male, keep em. I know all of mine after a while, you can use a flashlight and see all the veins in the egg. And some do develop like a red dot in them.

Been with a male, keep em. I know all of mine after a while, you can use a flashlight and see all the veins in the egg. And some do develop like a red dot in them.

Thanks for the info- The pictures above were taken today and the first picture was the largest red spot out of all the eggs.

After 3 months, these are the slowest growing embryos.
Thanks again!

Essentially any red = vascularization = fertile. Veiled chameleons, along with a number of other species, experience a diapause in incubation. This ensures that the hatchlings emerge during the proper time of the following year (usually the warm, rainy season locally). Essentially the eggs are laid at a very early stage of development as compared to most reptiles and do not begin further development for several months (i.e., a diapause). Environmental cues in nature trigger the onset of further development, namely cool temperatures followed by warmer temperatures, though diapause eventually breaks even at constant temperatures in captivity.

The eggs look normal to me.

Back
Top Bottom