Veiled death grip!

hopps31

Avid Member
Barnaby(male veiled) just turned 11 months old on the first and his grip is crazy strong! He is so friendly and loves to come out, it is impossible to go into his enclosure without him jumping on to my hand/arm! No complaints at all, I am super happy he is friendly but I have started to break out into a rash, understandably his claws are dirty and I wash immediately after holding him. Just curious if anyone else has this problem?!? It has never been a problem until recently, but he is much stronger as he becomes a man:D I hate to wear gloves they kind of freak him out but my poor hands are sore:( I posted a few pictures
60543333-64EB-4E73-B17D-BD811C4EA3B8.jpeg E09418AE-A77B-4F30-957B-309B6DE3019A.jpeg

I suffer from eczema on my hands and I have noticed that Tilly my veiled quite happily causes a flare up with her needle type claws. Like you say a "death grip"!! The only thing that calms it down is the steroid cream I use for the normal eczema. The rash she gives me looks just like your photo but the cream clears it up a treat!

Might want to look into your stick situation. If there is no tough wood to wear down the tips, they can get some pretty aggressive hypodermic needles at the end of the claws.
You might need to get some bamboo etc.

CH41-501z.jpg

dsc00033-jpg.38932

Thanks for the tip!! He does have a ton of branches and vines, I have different size natural branches from outside and fake Flukers vines but no bamboo. I had some in their when he was little but it always seemed kind of slippery. I still have a bunch, I will add it back in to see if it will help:)

I suffer from eczema on my hands and I have noticed that Tilly my veiled quite happily causes a flare up with her needle type claws. Like you say a "death grip"!! The only thing that calms it down is the steroid cream I use for the normal eczema. The rash she gives me looks just like your photo but the cream clears it up a treat!

I have started to use my daughters eczema cream, it does seem to help!!

As someone else said. Those marks are very common when handling these lizards. What you are seeing are tiny cuts their nails leave behind, because of those crazy death grips they possess! It's normal, and unless you are really susceptible to infection, they are nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom