Veiled closing eyes during day

gentlejamo

My 6 month old female veiled, Daisy, I have been noticing, has her eyes closed during the day. I know this is not natural, and I am not sure what this means, any help.

Thanks guys.

Normally, it means that they have some sort of medical problem. Closing the eyes in the daytime is a sign that something is wrong. I would get her to the vet as soon as possible and try extra misting and maybe a shower until the vet. Jann

That does not sound good. Is there any other precautions I can take here at home before taking her to the vet?

I am using the linear tube UVB Reptisun 5.0.

In addition, I also noticed this morning when I went to hand feed her, that she had some yellowish "goo" looking residue around her mouth when she opened. (she also hissed at me ha) What does this mean? I am assuming something not too great, however just looking for you assessment.

I would take a picture, but you cannot see it when her mouth is closed. And it is really is not that much. Those of you that know what I am talking about are aware of what it is, and can respond I am sure.

Thanks again.

im actually having the same exact problem with a baby veiled that i just purchased at an expo yesterday, im gettin pretty worried now that you said take it to the vet right away but what causes them to do this? and does anyone know of any vets near chicago?

Closed eyes during the day is not a good thing. The "goo" stuff may possibly be caused from a respitory problem. How is her breathing. A trip to the vet is imperative.

thanks guys.
i had her drinking from a dripper for a while this afternoon, but the "goo" seems to have gone away. I am not sure what that was, maybe just my imagination and me thinking up things that are not actually wrong. i have been known to do that.

she is still at the bottom of the tank. i cannot get to a vet tonight, but perhaps tomorrow afternoon. so we will see what happens til then. she seems to be green not brown anymore, i think i can attribute this to the hydration perhaps, although her eyes are still closed at times, and seem a bit sunken in, she is doing better than before.

I am not too keen on the shower idea, any other suggestions for some good hydration?

yep defo get her into a luke warm gentle spray of shower for around 15 mins twice a day ,and do this quick put her on a ficus tree and watch her so she doent fall and gently spray it like rain fall not directly on her or it may frighten her alot it sound bad like a respotary problem or bad dehydration where did you get her i would inform them if it was recently!!!!! do it or you may lose her by tommorow or get to the vets asap these things can kill sharpish!!!!

i just noticed that my 3 week old chameleons left eye is sometimes shut during the day but the other one is alert and healthy looking, ive also seen it try and rub his eyes on a branch, could it be that hes just stressed??

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom