Veiled Chameleons Breeding

Andregay

I bought three veiled chameleons from a guy about 3 weeks ago, two females and a male. The male is 2 and a half years and the females one and a half years. The one female seems to have been gravid since I got her, but I wasn't sure. She wasn't eating, but later she ate a little, but now again she isn't eating and she is hanging around the bottom of the cage, she is very dark with speckles over her body.
Is she going to lay eggs and how would I know if anything is wrong with her? Can anyone please help me with this?

Do you have a laying bin for her? You should have a laying bin for both of the females. Can you please post some pictures?

It's very possible that she could be gravid. You need to add a laying bin that can hold at least 10-12 inches of substrate and can fit her in it with several inches of extra room on all sides including above her. Fill it with damp soil, sand, or both and make sure it is damp enough to hold a tunnel without caving in. Wrap a towel around the cage and leave a peek hole. Don't let her see you watching if she begins to dig or she may abandon the hole.

I have a laying bin in for her it covers almost the entire bottom of her cage and the last time I checked she was in the container but she isn't digging. I will try and get some pics and post them so you can see

Here are the pics of my female could anyone tell me if you notice anything abnormal about her? I am just worried it is my first chameleons and I really don't want to loose one of them.

This is her sitting on the container in her cage that I put in for her to lay the eggs in
attachment.php

This is the container inside the cage so you can see the size of it
attachment.php

nope, no pics. Females will look around to find a good place to lay. Mine even will poop in their laying container, LOL, so I have to be sure to keep it clean. Just give her time. She will decide when it is time to lay.

She is wide awake, hisses at me when I go near the cage, just sits and basks the whole time doesn't eat or drink

Try a different feeder than what she is used to eating, mine every since she went gravid she will refuse crickets but will tear up a dubia. It Weird because it used to be the other way around.

IMHO, the concern is not that she's not eating much at the moment if she's gravid...its just making sure that she is not eggbound and has a suitable place to lay her eggs...and is in a cage by herself.

If she wasn't with the male before you got her, then she would likely have mated with the male since you got her and put them in together....which would likely mean that she still has a week to go before she will lay the eggs. This depends on where she was in her cycle though at the time of mating.

An eggbound female will usually sit low in the cage, be lethargic, eyes shut. etc. but some of them will dig a hole, act like they laid the eggs, fill the hole in but not really have laid the eggs...then go on to act as I described above.

Ok after talking to a few people here and doing some research I found out that injecting her with oxytocin will help. I phoned my vet here and asked them and they agreed so I went after work and I got the injection. They gave me 3 injections, oxytocin, vit A and calcium.
I injected her now so hopefully this will work.

Your vet didn't inject them? Did he check her out first?

Remember to close off her area to give her some privacy and DON'T look. No matter how bad you want to. Unless you're really good and can do it without her seeing you.

Back
Top Bottom