Veiled Chameleon

Evensen0316

Hello guys, My veiled chameleon that I have recently got about a week ago has been pacing her enclose the past couple days. I’m not sure if my basking light is too hot so I have it dimmed a bit. My enclosure temp is about 85° during the day. With a 41% humidity. I don’t currently have a way to check my basking temp.. She also does seam to be looking for food as she’s watching crickets crawling on the bottom of the enclose that have fallen. I’ve recently put a marble pothos in with her so maybe she’s just checking that out? She also has these white spots that are getting worse, I’m thinking she’s shedding but I’d like to ask you all for your opinion! These photos are a day apart.

Attachments

• 2B2F44D0-37C7-46D2-9BEB-36E5805E463E.jpeg
    2B2F44D0-37C7-46D2-9BEB-36E5805E463E.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 49
  • FC92C8CA-51CD-41FB-8BC7-41C6B2580A37.png
    FC92C8CA-51CD-41FB-8BC7-41C6B2580A37.png
    655.3 KB · Views: 58
We really need more information to help you.

The white spots look like a bad shed.

It's important to know the temperature in the basking area.
How old is she?

Can you show a photo of her with something that will give us an idea of her size please.
Photos of the whole cage, lights and all, would help too.

She still hasn’t developed any mature colors so I’m guessing just under a year. I’ve just bought a probe and will be able to check temp when I get home! I will take a picture of the entire enclosure when I get home!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Female Veiled, 4 days.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Only when changing things in enclose
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Crickets 10-15, I use repaint super load and some flukes cricket quencher for hydration.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
First day I had her I fed her with Repashy Superfoods Calcium Plus LoD, I believe that has D3. Other than that day I dust with Repti calcium without D3 each feeding. I’ll use the repashy again later this month.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I use a spray bottle and mist the tank with that a few times a day to keep humidity up and for water. I actually like using my fogger because the hose actually drips water like a water dropper. I have seen her drink off leaves.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
First scat I saw was moist and the urine was white with a little yellow at one end. All moist. No parasite testing that I know of.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Got her from pet co so don’t know much..
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
24x24x48 screen
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
I’m not positive what UVB light I have, but I do know I ordered this one after I got a link from someone in forums. I do believe it’s the light you had just mentioned. Basking light is a 50w tekizoo. Schedule is 8-8.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Currently this in my opinion is my biggest issue. I have no way to see what temps are under basking light and bottom of tank. Thermostat at middle of cage says 81° My basking light fixture has a dial so I can dim my basking light for cooler temps if I need. I just need to get something to check my temps.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
I have a zoomed hygrometer, I mist with spray bottle and use a fogger a few times a day to keep humidity where it needs to be. It seams like my enclosure has a hard time staying over 50% so I leave my fogger on low all night.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
All live plants, I have a marble pothos and focus benjamina. I also have a couple smaller plants that are cham safe I’m not sure the names.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Located in my bedroom, no fans or vents. The only traffic are my girlfriend and I. Dogs or cats may wander into my room but I try keeping them out. Enclosure is maybe a foot from top of my room. (I can’t raise my lights because the tank is up so high)
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Usa, Wisconsin

Attachments

• 0D77FCC0-10A1-4F78-A04E-EC8CD674E4D6.png
    0D77FCC0-10A1-4F78-A04E-EC8CD674E4D6.png
    675.5 KB · Views: 51
  • CD2F6489-8D53-4043-81B1-AD5FB5052AAE.png
    CD2F6489-8D53-4043-81B1-AD5FB5052AAE.png
    775.8 KB · Views: 50
I’ve had my prob sitting where she usually sits under basking light and it hasn’t gone over 82° I’m hoping I’m using a good probe!
I also held the probe directly under the lamp for roughly 2 minutes and it showed a temp of 91° My basking area is close to 6 inches from that 91° spot. I’m just hoping that I held the probe in that spot long enough to get an accurate temp! Any tips on how to get more accurate temp if I’m doing this in a Different way you would?

I also held the probe directly under the lamp for roughly 2 minutes and it showed a temp of 91° My basking area is close to 6 inches from that 91° spot. I’m just hoping that I held the probe in that spot long enough to get an accurate temp! Any tips on how to get more accurate temp if I’m doing this in a Different way you would?
This is her most recent scat, also her urine or whatever you want to call it was all white today as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 48
She does use this back side of her enclose to get up and down to the marble pothos. Im planning on putting some other testing sticks in the more open area in the back and will eventually put vines up to them as well. Hoping this will stop this..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 50
Still can't see her well enough or with something that would indicate her size to determine her age. Sorry.

You said..."use a fogger a few times a day to keep humidity where it needs to be"... Foggers should only be used at night when the temperature is n the right range.

Why do you need her size so bad? Just to know if she could be carrying eggs? I do have a lay bin in here already, so if she is looking to lay maybe I don’t have the right size lay bin or a proper way for her to enter or isn’t feeling secure? I will take a better picture tomorrow for a better look at her size, she’s fast asleep atm🤣

You said..."Why do you need her size so bad? Just to know if she could be carrying eggs?"...I ask questions to get information some can try to figure out what's going on. Sometimes even when I have the answers to my questions, I can't figure it out...but it might help someone else figure out what's happening even if it doesn't help me. I don't have all the answers...even after 30+ years of keeping, breeding, hatching, etc chameleons and many other reptiles...but I do know a thing or two!

Back
Top Bottom