Veiled chameleon won't eat mealworms

Athrin

My young adult male veiled chameleon will eat hornworms and crickets but he won't take meal worms I have never seen him show even a little interest. I have tried silk worms, butter worms and Phoenix worms. He will only take crickets and hornworms. He only started taking hornworms the past few months. Should I be concerned about his lack of interest in the other worms? I try meal worms every now and then but still nothing. I haven't tried anything else in a while should I try other worms or just give up? Also does anyone have any ideas on how to get him to show some interest in the other kinds of worms?

I wouldn't be too worried about your cham not liking meal worms, they're usually only used as a treat and can cause problems with their exoskeleton. Silkies and Phoenix worms on the other hand, if you have the option to get them, it would be good to have your cham eat them! They're both a great source of nutrition and should be, if possible, a part of every cham's diet.

I am not sure how you can go about getting yours to eat them however... my veileds eat anything that moves, so it's odd to me that yours isn't eating certain things! maybe he's about to start shedding? I would recommend that you keep trying with the silkies and phoenix worms if you can, obviously without providing too much waste. Don't worry about the meals and butters for now. Who knows, maybe he will grow into them!

I'm sure some others will have some better opinions than mine, I just wanted to make sure I touched on the idea that not eating mealworms might not be such a bad thing!

In all honesty, I feel that the mealworms just don't move very much to make them look appetizing. (For the chams :p)

My male veiled didn't eat crix for a long while and only ate supers up until recently. He takes to the crix more than the supers now and he never really ate the mealworms. Every cham is different.

Just like Ferrah said, mealworms aren't the greatest to give regularly due to their thicker exoskeleton and lack of nutrition for the cham. Nothing to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom