Veiled Chameleon with red protrusion

Leskiwi

Please help our 5 month old chameleon started pushing out a large red I'm not really sure if its his penis or intestine.

If there is ONE protrusion it is his vent prolapsing. If there are TWO or if one or the other is coming out at a side angle then it is the hemipenes.

Can you please take a picture?

My advice is to buy some KY jelly lubricant and then rub some gently on the protrusion and gently try and push it back in.

If it is only coming out when he poops thats fine.

Often the hemipenes come out when a cham is pooping but they should go back in after he is done.
If they don't Laurie posted solid advice a few months ago in this thread, post #9:https://www.chameleonforums.com/help-prolapse-after-sperm-plug-removed-100266/#post923145
COLD water is important to shrink the tissues
Her original post for quick reference:
i have had to "fix" a couple proplapse. Here is how I did it.

1. ice cold water with lots of water. Not a paste but Ice cold water with lots of sugar fairly well dissolved. I sat for about 15 minutes and kept gently pouring the ice water over my baby.

2. Next take ky jelly and massage it back into where it needs to be. When I say massage, be gentle but be prepared to put some pressure behind it. First time I just rubbed like it would jump in, not so, you have to press about 3 times as much pressure as you would think.

3. After you get it in watch him carefully for the next couple days to make sure he doesn't proplapse again.

4. If you can't get it in, take these directions to your vet. The process is the same as a dog, cat or cow. The animal is just smaller.

If there is ONE protrusion it is his vent prolapsing. If there are TWO or if one or the other is coming out at a side angle then it is the hemipenes.

Can you please take a picture?

My advice is to buy some KY jelly lubricant and then rub some gently on the protrusion and gently try and push it back in.

If it is only coming out when he poops thats fine.

I don't think there is such a thing as a vent prolapse.??

I don't think there is such a thing as a vent prolapse.??

Carol, I'm sure he meant intestinal prolapse but I believe the treatment is the same for intestinal prolapse as for hemipenile prolapse.

A bird's cloaca is referred to as vent--maybe he has some birds as pets, too :)

Carol, I'm sure he meant intestinal prolapse but I believe the treatment is the same for intestinal prolapse as for hemipenile prolapse.

A bird's cloaca is referred to as vent--maybe he has some birds as pets, too :)

ah, thank you for the clarification. I was thinking maybe that is what he meant but ya know I thought maybe there was something new for me to learn. I have found you never can stop educating yourself when it comes to these animals.

Leskiwi...if it went back in its okay...if it didn't its a medical emergency. The protrusion needs to be kept moist until a vet can see it.

Red protrusion

Well Kiwi is still holding on. He is staying on the bottom of his cage and not climbing. He is drinking Gatorade mixed with water and a little calcium. He ate meal worms yesterday but nothing today. We tried everything from your advice and that we found about prolapse. We were not able to get it to re-enter it is still moist but it is darker in color.
He is the sweetest and most friendly Cham. He comes right to me and likes to drink directly from the mister when I drop water for him. He even runs his head and throat on my finger. He has been like that with me from the day I saw him.
My husband bought him for me as an early valentines present. When we went to get crickets for my sons bearded at pet smart I saw him and fell in love. I am so sad to see him sick. We have a small farm with cattle goats chickens 10 horses pigs 2dogs 2cats and a whole bunch of peacocks. But this little guy is my favorite.
If anyone has any other ideas or advise I'd appreciate it. I called 2 vets for emergency visits and neither do chams
If that tissue becomes necrotic until I can get an appt will there be any chance of survival

Les

There is a great vet in the Orlando Area named Ivan Alfonso. He knows a lot about chameleons and other members use him. I would contact him first thing in the morning. If the tissue becomes necrotic then it can be amputated and he should be ok. They have two penis', They only use them for reproduction purposes so they can live without both of them actually. here is the link for the vet.
http://www.kirkmanareavet.com/

Back
Top Bottom