Veiled Chameleon with MBD

Yeah so like @ERKleRose was saying... This will be a two fold measure. You need the T5HO fixture and the 10.0 bulb. Because this will push the UVB out the 12-15 inches. And this is important. You will get the 3 UVI with this fixture and Bulb at 12 inches away but still be within limits at 15 inches. The T8 will not work at all at the distance you need to get to him.

Now when climbing and moving is better and you need to put him back in a regular cage. You still need a 12 inch distance between the top and the closest branch with the 10.0 bulb. Or you can drop back the bulb strength and get a 5.0 at that point and have a 8-9 inch distance so your not wasting the space at the top of the enclosure.

Yeah so like @ERKleRose was saying... This will be a two fold measure. You need the T5HO fixture and the 10.0 bulb. Because this will push the UVB out the 12-15 inches. And this is important. You will get the 3 UVI with this fixture and Bulb at 12 inches away but still be within limits at 15 inches. The T8 will not work at all at the distance you need to get to him.

Now when climbing and moving is better and you need to put him back in a regular cage. You still need a 12 inch distance between the top and the closest branch with the 10.0 bulb. Or you can drop back the bulb strength and get a 5.0 at that point and have a 8-9 inch distance so your not wasting the space at the top of the enclosure.
I will get the new fixture asap. I have raised his hospital cage up to get him as close as I can but still at a safe distance.

Small update: I took him outside for about 30-45 minutes and his colors were so vibrant and beautiful. I will start doing this every day so he can get natural UVB as well as his artificial UVB.
This can be really wonderful for them. Just watch the temps in full sun. While it may be 80 out, in full sun temps can spike to 100.

Im so glad you found out about the sun, i was just reading through and about to recommend daily sun if you could. Its how ive brought all my MBD rescue babies around. Also MBD can cause serious havoc with fluid intake in the beginning or with any backslides so make sure he gets his opporunities to drink his fill.

Im so glad you found out about the sun, i was just reading through and about to recommend daily sun if you could. Its how ive brought all my MBD rescue babies around. Also MBD can cause serious havoc with fluid intake in the beginning or with any backslides so make sure he gets his opporunities to drink his fill.
Thanks for the info! I always make sure he has clean water on his plants for him to drink.

I just put him back in his normal enclosure. (still on the side so he cant climb too high.) He just ate some dead leaves from my Pothos plant, is this okay?

Hmm how long has he been in recovery from MBD? The pothos leaves shouldnt be too much of a problem as long as they werent molding
He has been in recovery for a little over 2 weeks. The vet said I can give him a little more space for climbing since his bones feel stronger

Back
Top Bottom