Veiled Chameleon with MBD

He still needs a basking area in his hospital cage. It’d be really great if you could post a pic of his hospital bin, from the lights to the bottom of the cage

He still needs a basking area in his hospital cage. It’d be really great if you could post a pic of his hospital bin, from the lights to the bottom of the cage

Attachments

• hospital cage.jpg
    hospital cage.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 111
Be careful with the basking light on the hospital cage if he's having rouble moving around. If he is not able to move much, he may get overheated and not be able to move out of it.

I just ordered a T8 10.0. The temp of the enclosure is between 75-80F during the day and low 60's at night.
You want the basking temp to be 80. You need a wired probe to measure it and hook it in at that branch below the heat bulb. Make sure you test the distance for temp too since your basking branch is 6 inches down. You do not want to have to deal with thermal burns. I typically recommend lifting the fixture for the heat up off the cage a few inches. Casque burns are very common with Veileds.

Your supplements are good. So you will rotate between the calcium with D3 and the Reptivite without D3 every week at one feeding so that each are given two times a month. Then at all other feedings you will use the calcium without D3. All feeders should be lightly coated in the supplement and immediately given to your cham....

Here is a good resource for learning more. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Look up SweetPea on facebook, she has her own page. Reach out to Marianne (her rescuer) about tips on dealing with MBD.

I would also replace the fake plants in his hospital bin with veiled-tested live ones, along with getting his heat and UVB bulbs the proper distance away

If you could fill out this form in as much detail as possible, it'd be really helpful so we can help you make sure everything is 100% correct:

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

If you could fill out this form in as much detail as possible, it'd be really helpful so we can help you make sure everything is 100% correct:

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Piebald Veiled Chameleon, Male, I think 4 months. He has been in my care for 2 months.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Almost never.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets, Dubia Roaches, Hornworms and Superworms. I give him between 8-10 a day and recently started cup feeding. I slice carrots for the gut-load.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Rep-Cal calcium with d3, Rep-Cal calcium without d3, Reptivite vitamins without d3, Every day besides saturday he gets the calcium without d3. On saturdays I alternate the calcium with d3 and the vitamins without d3.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist the cage 3-4 times a day for a minute each. I do see him drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? His feces are light-dark brown and firm enough to hold shape but not rock solid. His urate is like 80% white and 20% yellow-orange. I have never had it tested for parasites.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Looking at the picture from when I got him from the pet store, I notice a slight deformity on both back legs, probably from early on MBD.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? All screen cage and 16x16x30
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun t8 5.0 (just ordered Reptisun t8 10.0) I have his lights on for 12 hours a day and 12 off. I also have a 100W Repti basking spot lamp on for the same 12 hour schedule.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The cage is between 75-80F during the day and low 60's at night. I have a thermometer in the cage. ( waiting on temperature gun to arrive)
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity stays between 40-50%. Misting the cage maintains these levels. I have a hygrometer in the cage.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes, I can't remember the name of the plants but I know that they are safe for Chameleons.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? It is on my nightstand. There are no fans or air vents. It is not a high traffic area. The cage is about 25-30 inches off of the floor.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? I am in Northern Utah.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. I just want to know how to care for my Chameleon with MBD.

Thank you everyone for all of the advice. I put the cage on its side so he is now getting the heat and UVB:)

Attachments

• cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 96
Thank you everyone for all of the advice. I put the cage on its side so he is now getting the heat and UVB:)
Ok now measure from the screen top where the light is sitting down to where the cham can get to and tell me that distance... Depending on the distance it could be way too far for the T8 with the 10.0 bulb and we will need to switch plans. Getting the right level of UVB is just as important for the cham right now to recover so I do not want you to not have the right info.

Ok now measure from the screen top where the light is sitting down to where the cham can get to and tell me that distance... Depending on the distance it could be way too far for the T8 with the 10.0 bulb and we will need to switch plans. Getting the right level of UVB is just as important for the cham right now to recover so I do not want you to not have the right info.
It is about 15 inches. I will return my t8 10.0 and buy a t5 5.0.

Get either a Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 or Arcadia 12% T5 High Output bulb and fixture, and raise the bin up so the distance between the bulb and highest area he can get to is 11-12" away

Back
Top Bottom