Veiled Chameleon with MBD

My Chameleon was diagnosed with MBD last night. I had x-rays done which showed fractured legs. He is currently on Tramadol for pain and Calcium Glubionate. His color has become much more vibrant since starting the Calcium and Tramadol. He is currently in a small enclosure to prevent climbing so his legs can heal. I give him Tramadol every 12 hours (0.01 mL) and Calcium Glubionate every 24 hours (0.03 mL) I watch him to see whether his condition is improving or declining. I will continue to post updates. Any tips on how to care for him during this time?

My Chameleon was diagnosed with MBD last night. I had x-rays done which showed fractured legs. He is currently on Tramadol for pain and Calcium Glubionate. His color has become much more vibrant since starting the Calcium and Tramadol. He is currently in a small enclosure to prevent climbing so his legs can heal. I give him Tramadol every 12 hours (0.01 mL) and Calcium Glubionate every 24 hours (0.03 mL) I watch him to see whether his condition is improving or declining. I will continue to post updates. Any tips on how to care for him during this time?
What kind of UVB light do you use? What was your dusting schedule?

You will need to use the calcium glubionate until the bones, muscles, etc are back to normal....and still use the proper supplements too along with proper UVB light and appropriate temperatures, etc. Once the bones and muscles have returned to normal you will be able to stop the calcium glubionate and just use the regular supplements...phos free calcium at all feedings but one a week...alternating between phos free calcium/D3 and a vitamin powder with no D3 and a prEformed source of vitamin A on the one feeding left each week.

Piper UVB comes either from direct sunlight or from a reptisun 5.0 long linear tube light or an Arcadia 6% long linear tube light.

Appropriate basking temperature is 80F.

For a T8, you want a ReptiSun 10.0 or Arcadia 12%. What’s your distance from the basking area to the UVB bulb? Also, does your multivitamin have D3 in it, and what are your supplement brands?

For a T8, you want a ReptiSun 10.0 or Arcadia 12%. What’s your distance from the basking area to the UVB bulb? Also, does your multivitamin have D3 in it, and what are your supplement brands?
I will order a new bulb today. The basking area is 6 inches away. My multivitamin does not have D3 in it. The brands are Zoo Med reptivite and Rep-Cal

Great! Good luck and keep us updated! Don’t hesitate to ask us any questions or anything else, either!

Can you take pics of the supplements for us please.

With the T8 you have to have the stronger bulb 10.0 or 12% and your basking not any farther then 6 inches down. You want to make sure that it is a measured 6 inches with this strength bulb.

Can you post pics of the cham so we can see how advanced it is and of the temp enclosure ?

Can you take pics of the supplements for us please.

With the T8 you have to have the stronger bulb 10.0 or 12% and your basking not any farther then 6 inches down. You want to make sure that it is a measured 6 inches with this strength bulb.

Can you post pics of the cham so we can see how advanced it is and of the temp enclosure ?
I just ordered a T8 10.0. The temp of the enclosure is between 75-80F during the day and low 60's at night.

Attachments

• blicky.jpg
    blicky.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 101
  • cal with d3.jpg
    cal with d3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 105
  • cal without d3.jpeg
    cal without d3.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 79
  • reptivite without d3.jpg
    reptivite without d3.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 107
So temp guns measure surface temps, while basking temps are air temps. The best and most accurate way to measure basking temps is with a digital thermometer with a probe, with the probe placed where the top of your chameleon’s back is when he’s on his basking branch

So temp guns measure surface temps, while basking temps are air temps. The best and most accurate way to measure basking temps is with a digital thermometer with a probe, with the probe placed where the top of your chameleon’s back is when he’s on his basking branch
I will definitely do that when I put him back in his normal enclosure. The vet advised me to put him in a "hospital cage" until his legs have healed.

Back
Top Bottom