veiled chameleon pooped out piece of plastic wire

Shannon011

hi all, I got a veiled chameleon yesterday and he is 9 weeks old. when I went to the shop to get him the lady actually pulled a piece of plastic wire out of his mouth, the lady said that it happens all the time and he will be fine now. after arriving back home, I got him out and he is a very lively little chameleon and loves to be held. today he seemed tired so I fogged his cage up and sprayed the leaves so he had plenty to drink and he had a waxworm. I noticed around 30 minutes ago he had something coming out of his bum which was not regular chameleon poop, it was a piece of plasic wire, the same thing as what the woman pulled out of his mouth yesterday. I got my stepdad to help me pull it out of his bum because he looked like he was in pain. now hes sleeping, im assuming hes just tired as I bet pushing it out really tired him out.
another thing I want to mention is that 3 weeks ago I got a veiled chameleon (Pascal) from the same place, last sunday he passed away. im terrified the same thing will hapeen to the one I got yesterday, I assume Pascal died because he had this plastic wire in his stomach. just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?
thanks x

hi all, I got a veiled chameleon yesterday and he is 9 weeks old. when I went to the shop to get him the lady actually pulled a piece of plastic wire out of his mouth, the lady said that it happens all the time and he will be fine now. after arriving back home, I got him out and he is a very lively little chameleon and loves to be held. today he seemed tired so I fogged his cage up and sprayed the leaves so he had plenty to drink and he had a waxworm. I noticed around 30 minutes ago he had something coming out of his bum which was not regular chameleon poop, it was a piece of plasic wire, the same thing as what the woman pulled out of his mouth yesterday. I got my stepdad to help me pull it out of his bum because he looked like he was in pain. now hes sleeping, im assuming hes just tired as I bet pushing it out really tired him out.
another thing I want to mention is that 3 weeks ago I got a veiled chameleon (Pascal) from the same place, last sunday he passed away. im terrified the same thing will hapeen to the one I got yesterday, I assume Pascal died because he had this plastic wire in his stomach. just wondering if this has happened to anyone else?
thanks x
Is this a pet store that you’re getting chameleons from? It is NOT normal for them to have any plastic wires at either end of them! It is NOT something that, “happens all the time” if you are keeping your chameleons properly. Obviously this woman is not. I hate to tell you but you should not have pulled the piece from his butt yourself. He should not be sleeping during the day. Personally, I would either take the chameleon to en emergency vet to have x rays done to see if there are any more wires inside of him or return him to where you got him. This does not sound at all like a healthy situation and I fear you may be headed for another heartbreak.

hello, thankyou for your reply. he has improved majorly over the day and was moving round his cage literally 5 minutes after I posted it! I had another look at the thing that he pooped out and it looks more like the branch off a fake plant. he seems to be much better in himself and has not slept since I posted that.
I do agree, the woman who sold them isn't to be trusted but even if he passes away from this I wouldn't want to keep moving him around as I bet that would stress him out.
thankyou

I will attach some photos of his set up, how do you fill out one of those?
IMG_9480.JPG
IMG_9481.JPG

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Here is the help sheet. Also, it looks like you are using a compact uvb. He will need a linear uvb. I use a T5ho 5.0 reptisun bulb.

Back
Top Bottom