Veiled chameleon not growing

No he is saying he alternates red runner and crickets as his staple. The fruit flies sounds like a special snack here and there

Correct. I feed everyday. The fruit flies are a monthly thing. I buy a culture of flies and it takes him about 5 days to finish them off. It's a lot of flies. I don't have silkworms and hornworms here and he doesn't eat dubia and bsfl, so those are the best I can get. I might be able to get tiny superworms.

ok gotcha. wow - that is mind boggling. I think you are ok with what you've got as far as feeders, for now. More variety is great, but I don't think your feeders are the reason he's that small.

So today is my day off. I watched him eat 29 1/8" crickets. These are the pics of his hind feet.

Attachments

• 20190530_122749.jpg
    20190530_122749.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 182
  • 20190530_122913.jpg
    20190530_122913.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 181
Is this the same breeder you got your previous cham from?

Okay here's the thing. I actually got my first veiled from this seller in November last year. Then I realise he has a bump on his head. I did a research and found out that it's a sort of infection and might require surgery. I contacted the seller and told him he gave me an unhealthy one. He insisted that it's nothing major and will go away eventually.

But I said no I want an exchange. The current chameleon I have is the second one he gave me. Yes he told me it's from the same breeder. I guess he's been dishonest from the start?

Okay here's the thing. I actually got my first veiled from this seller in November last year. Then I realise he has a bump on his head. I did a research and found out that it's a sort of infection and might require surgery. I contacted the seller and told him he gave me an unhealthy one. He insisted that it's nothing major and will go away eventually.

But I said no I want an exchange. The current chameleon I have is the second one he gave me. Yes he told me it's from the same breeder. I guess he's been dishonest from the start?
Sounds like something was wrong with that batch of eggs. I’m sorry your having this experience with your chameleon. Hopefully the vet can help you

Update:

Got home after work and saw him shedding. No wonder his skin looks ugly and weird lately, especially his face. His hip bone is also less protruding now. Didn't take a picture as he was sleeping. I also added two small orchid species, one white and one pink.

Hmmmm I am thinking this breeder is doing something not quite right... If it is a parasite issue then it can be helped but if it is a genetic issue then there is nothing that can be done. I would not get another one from this breeder.

Update:

Got home after work and saw him shedding. No wonder his skin looks ugly and weird lately, especially his face. His hip bone is also less protruding now. Didn't take a picture as he was sleeping. I also added two small orchid species, one white and one pink.
Is this his first shed with you?

Is this his first shed with you?

Third one. Another thing is the breeder was selling the babies really cheap compared to the others. I should have known.

Btw his name is Anacalgon(A.C in short), pretty long name I know but most of my pets' names come from the same reference.

Third one. Another thing is the breeder was selling the babies really cheap compared to the others. I should have known.

Btw his name is Anacalgon(A.C in short), pretty long name I know but most of my pets' names come from the same reference.
Third really!!! No wonder he isn’t growing! How cheap is cheap? Veileds are usually cheap because they lay so many eggs. I think I payed $60 for my male but $150 for my female only because she was a translucent veiled chameleon.

Third really!!! No wonder he isn’t growing! How cheap is cheap? Veileds are usually cheap because they lay so many eggs. I think I payed $60 for my male but $150 for my female only because she was a translucent veiled chameleon.

Let's just say he cost me 30% cheaper.

I gave him a name of a big bad dragon but it's so contradicting because he is so tiny and unintimidating.

I would even go one step further and say these could definitely be genetic defects with a direct correlation to inbreed or closely line breed animals. Maybe the seller was initially trying to get some new morphs or a translucent or something idk? Or maybe he was just lazy and kept female/male clutch mates together their whole lives? Idk this is is speculatory of course.

Back
Top Bottom