Veiled Chameleon not eating

SavannaC

Hello everyone. I am new here. I have a female veiled chameleon who has eaten very little in the past 2 weeks. She looks very skinny. I am wondering if something is wrong with her. She laid her first clutch of eggs this past December. Is it possible that she is getting ready to lay more? This could explain why she isn't eating. I also stopped feeding her mealworms about 2 weeks ago. They have been her staple diet since she was given to me a little over a year ago. After more research, I discovered that mealworms were not the best to feed her so I switched to crickets, hornworms, and occasional wax worms. So maybe she is on strike? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! ~Savanna

Fill out this form and we can hopefully get a better understanding of whats going on :)

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types oflighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon -

Name: Snip

Species: Veiled Chameleon, Female, unknown age. She was given to me as a gift in January of 2017.

Handling – Handled regularly. Often sleeps in my hands or the pocket of my hoodie.
Feeding – Mealworms mainly up until 2 weeks ago. Started feeding crickets, hornworms, and occasional wax worms. Would eat three times during the week often 10 or more mealworms. She has not eaten much since I switched her diet.
Supplements – Zoo-Med Repti-Calcium without D3. Everything is dusted during every feeding.
Watering – Misting 2 to 3 times a day and a constant drip. I mist for about 2 or 3 minutes each time. I have seen her drink pretty much every day
Fecal Description – Haven’t seen her poop since last week. It was half brown, half white. She has not been tested for parasites
History – She was bought from Petco. Long story short, something happened to her there and they had to cut off some of her tail. One of the employees said it would be best if she was sold soon so they discounted her. She was then bought for me and given to me as a gift.

Cage Info:
Cage Type –Repti-Breeze fully screened cage. 16 L x 16 W x 30 H.
Lighting – Zoo-Med 75w basking and Zoo-Med UVB. Lights come on around 8:30 AM, go off around 10:00 PM
Temperature – I do not know what the temp of her basking spot is. The temp of the room stays around 70 F – 80 F. At night they drop to the mid-60s but no lower.
Humidity – I do not know the humidity levels. I have done research on this and asked many “experts” and they have told me humidity is not that important. If this is wrong, please let me know.
Plants – She does have a golden Pothos in her cage. It takes up a majority of the space but there are some fake plants in there too. No silky ones.
Placement – Her cage is by the window in my room which is the warmest in the house. There is an air vent by her cage, but it is partially closed so she doesn’t get a draft. There is also a ceiling fan in the room, but it stays on low. The cage itself sits about a foot and a half off the ground. Location – East-Central Alabama, U.S.

Current Problem – Snip has not eaten in about two weeks. Since I switched her diet she has eaten one hornworm and two wax worms….in two weeks. This can’t be good. She is still drinking, and I am still misting her. She is very weak now meaning she can’t hold on to her branches that well and often falls but she has a strong grip. Her eyes are not sunken in my opinion, but this is my first chameleon so I’m still learning. She is thin. Her legs look very skinny. I am very concerned but am completely willing to do whatever I can to help her. I would like to get some weight on her clearly. I am wondering if she stopped eating because she is about to lay eggs. The last time she laid eggs was December 2017. I will insert pictures from a couple weeks ago and today.

Attachments

• 4-2-2018.jpg
    4-2-2018.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 164
  • 4-5-2018 (2).jpg
    4-5-2018 (2).jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 178
  • 4-17-2018 (2).jpg
    4-17-2018 (2).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 4-17-2018.jpg
    4-17-2018.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 171
your chameleon should not be sleeping in your hand or pocket. They are supposed to be more of a visual pet and not handled every single day. I would recommend switching to a 12 hour darkness and 12 hour light. You should be dusting with calcium with d3 twice a month and a multivitamin twice a month. Humidity is important. I am no expert at all and ecspecially with veileds but you should make sure humidity is no lower than 40%. Meal worms are hard on digestion and offer no nutritional value really and are high in fat. I am wonfering if the long feeding of meal worms has taken a toll on her digestive system. Hopefully some other members can shed some light on this.

your chameleon should not be sleeping in your hand or pocket. They are supposed to be more of a visual pet and not handled every single day. I would recommend switching to a 12 hour darkness and 12 hour light. You should be dusting with calcium with d3 twice a month and a multivitamin twice a month. Humidity is important. I am no expert at all and ecspecially with veileds but you should make sure humidity is no lower than 40%. Meal worms are hard on digestion and offer no nutritional value really and are high in fat. I am wonfering if the long feeding of meal worms has taken a toll on her digestive system. Hopefully some other members can shed some light on this.

Thank you for helping. I know they aren't all social animals but it seemed like she was more relaxed in my hand than the cage. Do you know how I can keep the humidity up since it is a screened cage? I know now that the mealworms are awful and can cause impaction which is why I switched her diet and I guess it is possible that my lack of research has led to her decline. Thanks again for trying to help!

What are you thinking is wrong? It may seem like a stupid question but what am I missing?
shes over a yr old so cage is to small. You need calcium with d3 if she’s kept indoors. Humidy is important. It may not need to be spot on but I don’t like mine going below 50 percent. Meal worms are no good. You have no idea what her basking spot it which you need to. And if she is gravid do you have a lay bin? What kind of uvb do you have and how old? Have you changed it since you got her? And personally I’d keep her lights on for 12 hours and off for 12 hours. Seeing how she’s from Petco she should of been tested for parasites long ago. Please don’t take offense to me pointing these things out. I’m just trying to help. If I missed anything someone else here will chime in. This is the right place if you need help. Btw if I were in your shoes I’d be looking for a vet. If she is gravid she looks to be in trouble

Thanks to everyone who has responded. She has an appointment with the vet tomorrow morning....there wasn't a sooner time they could see her. The UVB she has is fairly new. I've had it for about 2 months. She does have a lay bin. I will have her on the 12 hour light cycle for now. I am curious as to why y'all would think she has MBD. Her legs are very skinny, I can see that but they are not crooked, swollen, or (appearing to be) broken. As I have said before I am new to this and just trying to figure it out.

This is my female at about the same age as yours. Look at the difference between their legs. Also the second pic is my boy at 5 months old and look at his legs. It’s one thing to have skinny legs but from looking at your Chams legs it looks like she has mbd. Her joints looking totally off as in broken bones. And awesome for making the vet appointment. I can only offer my opinion which I stand by but I’m not vet. And I hope everything works out for you.
49F2A8F4-318E-4905-AEA9-8F9F5B4BD3F6.jpeg
keep us posted on how the visit goes

Attachments

• 38361D41-DCF1-45B9-B31A-049AB76307C9.jpeg
    38361D41-DCF1-45B9-B31A-049AB76307C9.jpeg
    295.9 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
I definitely see what you are saying when comparing your chameleon to mine and yours are stunning. It's amazing what happens when an animal is taken care of. I think you are right as well about MBD. Thank you. Vet tomorrow and I will see what he says.

I definitely see what you are saying when comparing your chameleon to mine and yours are stunning. It's amazing what happens when an animal is taken care of. I think you are right as well about MBD. Thank you. Vet tomorrow and I will see what he says.
Hopefully she’s not gravid and the vet can help. Your husbandry isn’t totally off. Here are some care sheets if you haven’t read them https://flchams.com/veiled-chameleon-care-sheet/already.http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Care-Sheets/Lizards/Veiled-Chameleon/

I’m sure you took care of her to the best your knowledge but that’s the key to taking care of a Cham. Knowledge. If she makes it through read up and learn all you can about them. Specially their care. The more you know the better your Cham. Will do. The work taking care of a chameleon isn’t as hard as it is important

As for keeping the humidity up for a screened cage, live plants (which you have) and I personally put cling wrap on 2/3 of 3 sides of the cage--the back and two sides. It has definitely helped (I live in the desert).

So how did the vet visit go?

She was taken to the vet yesterday and she stayed overnight. The doctor hasn't said much about what is wrong with her. He is giving her doses of Calcium. That is really all I know at this point. Waiting on an update for today. Thanks for checking in and thanks to everyone who has offered more information. I really do appreciate it and I will keep you updated.

What are you thinking is wrong? It may seem like a stupid question but what am I missing?
Make sure you change your uvb light every 6 months and also be sure your humidity and basking temperatures are at the correct levels. Any updates from the vet ? Also live plants help with humidity, just be sure they are safe/ non toxic and also be sure to change / re-pot them with organic soil. And do you have a laying bin for her to lay her eggs? Hope she gets better soon

Last edited:
I just changed the UVB about 2 months ago. I will make sure I make a note to change it in about four months. I did have her a laying bin before she was taken to the vet. I got a call from the vet and they said that she is doing a little better. She has gotten color back in her and between today and yesterday they have given her 4 shots of Carbonate Calcium. The vet said that she was in the beginning stages of MBD. So thank you to everyone who has helped me, especially Johnnyjames572. The vet also said that she may be able to come home today and she will need one more shot of the calcium tomorrow afternoon. When I go to see him this afternoon I'm going to ask some questions about her (is she about to lay eggs, any signs of parasites, and was she dehydrated). If everything goes smoothly I will be getting her a bigger cage, invest in a misting system, fix her diet, get more live plants, and some devices to monitor temp and humidity. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks again for all the help. I can't thank you guys enough!

Back
Top Bottom