Veiled Chameleon Not eating enough

Jlee123

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Female, and she is under 2years. I have had here for a little over a year.
* Handling - everyday but not too much.
* Feeding - calcium dusted Crickets, horn worms, and in the mornings everyday, but she decides how many she eats and if shes eating.
* Supplements - Repti Calcium, just got Flukers liquid Vitamin
* Watering - The little dripper, mist multiple times, I do try to make sure I see her drinking, so I know she has water. I also watch her urine coloring.
* Fecal Description - The color has been white and normal poop color, she has not been tested for parasites?
* History - N/A

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Free Range
* Lighting - started with the dual lights zoo med, natural sunlight, changed it to exo terrace daylight, villa halogen heat bulb, and zoo med repti basking light (3 in 1)
* Temperature - She is mainly around 75 to 90 and her low is around 60 to 70
* Humidity - gauge and it was last at
* Plants - real
* Placement - She is right in front of the slider
* Location - Snohomish County

Current Problem - She hasn't been eating normal. She stopped for like 4 days which was normal due to laying egg time. She did not lay eggs then ate one worm but I had to get it close due to her tongue not shooting far. She stopped eating for another 2 days. She layed eggs but I dont think she layed them all. She has been eating 1 worm for the past week every other day. Her tongue seem to go back to normal. She ate 4 worms finally yesterday, but her tongue went back to not shooting out far. She wont eat crickets or anything else. This all happened after I fed her a butter worm. I have not seen a vet yet, but I do have an apt Saturday. I have her in her dirt bin right now. I think her grip is a little weaker than normal, and I dont want her to fall.

Attachments

• 15768083090136805595819821153027.jpg
    15768083090136805595819821153027.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 115
  • received_461667751204698.jpeg
    received_461667751204698.jpeg
    274.8 KB · Views: 134
  • received_449634639058248.jpeg
    received_449634639058248.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 20190815_100306.jpg
    20190815_100306.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 118
Hello! so, im not against free range but how much of natural sunlight direct (not cross a windows) she receive every month? did you take measurement of your temperatures with infrared gun temp and of your UVB with solatmeter? what were the readings. lack of uvb/calcium can be a strong possibility here

She got the sunlight during the summer, and it was for probably an hr or so every other day. Other than that she has her regular lighting. The Repti Calcium has D3. Thank you for feedback. I will be getting her to the vet.

Do chameleons typically survive if they become egg bound, or broken ribs if that is the case???

She got the sunlight during the summer, and it was for probably an hr or so every other day. Other than that she has her regular lighting. The Repti Calcium has D3. Thank you for feedback. I will be getting her to the vet.

Do chameleons typically survive if they become egg bound, or broken ribs if that is the case???
She deserves a shot either way.

She deserve a shot.. sometime yeah veiled are surprisingly hardy.. if you want to keep your chameleon in a free range please set up a suitable free range ;)

one tip : UVB : exo-terra Sunray 70w (https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Su...ywords=exo+terra+Sunray&qid=1576814791&sr=8-1) here the 50w can do the job too.. it can shoot UVB 90cm deep so this is suitable for a free range

She needs a vet ASAP. She's very sick. Her shape, look, etc say this.
Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Female, and she is under 2years. I have had here for a little over a year.
* Handling - everyday but not too much.
* Feeding - calcium dusted Crickets, horn worms, and in the mornings everyday, but she decides how many she eats and if shes eating. she needs a better variety ...crickets, BSFL, silkworms, roaches, locusts, etc....all fed/gutloaded properly. I use dandelion greens, endive, escarole, kale, collards, carrots, sweet potatoes, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, etc to feed and gutload crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms.
* Supplements - Repti Calcium, just got Flukers liquid Vitamin
I use RepCal phos free calcium powder dusted on the insects lightly just before feeding them to the chameleon at almost every feeding. I use phos free calcium/D3 powder dusted lightly at two feedings a month and Herptivite with prOformed vitamin A two times a month dusted lightly. If your chameleon needs a preformed vitamin A then it's up to you to add that.)
* Watering - The little dripper, mist multiple times, I do try to make sure I see her drinking, so I know she has water. I also watch her urine coloring.
* Fecal Description - The color has been white and normal poop color, she has not been tested for parasites?
* History - N/A

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Free Range
Free ranging makes it hard to control the UVB exposure, makes it hard to water properly, control the temperatures and the feeding cannot be free range (obviously). IMHO it makes them prone MBD, having trouble with digestion, etc. I would rather see them in a cage and taken out for only part of the day.
* Lighting - started with the dual lights zoo med, natural sunlight, changed it to exo terrace daylight, villa halogen heat bulb, and zoo med repti basking light (3 in 1) I use a regular incandescent household bulb of a wattage that provides the right temperature for basking. I use a long linear reptisun 5.0 for UVB. They need to be placed so the chameleon cannot touch the lights or domes/hoods and where the chameleon can make proper use of them.
* Temperature - She is mainly around 75 to 90 and her low is around 60 to 70
* Humidity - gauge and it was last at what's the humidity?
* Plants - real
* Placement - She is right in front of the slider in your climate I would not have the chameleon close to the window...cold drafts can cause issues.

Where does she lay her eggs? How many eggs does she normally lay?

Hopefully this will help once you get the health issues dealt with to keep your chameleon healthy.

MBD. Needs to get better. Thank you all for help and checking in. Sry if I'm being short. I too am working a lot of hours and will be caring for my poor girl.

How many eggs does she lay in a clutch?
To get better she needs to be able to get exposure to a good UVB light...supplements and feeding/gutloading need to be spot on and basking temperatures must be proper so she can digest food properly...and you need to get her bones strong again. What did the vet tell you to do to correct the MBD?

She's in very bad condition and you need to act quickly and even then she might not make it I'm sad to tell you.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom