Veiled Chameleon help :)

Hi guys, sorry to intrude on this post, I’m new to this and I’m needing help, big style!
I have a 6/7 month old veiled cam who was apparently rescued. I’ve had her two weeks now and up until a few days ago, every thing was fine. However, she has now stopped eating her crickets and hoppers and digging constantly at the bottom in her substrate. I’m lost with what could be wrong! Please help!
She’s probably gravid ( she has eggs in her ). Does she have a lay bin?
Also, what are your temps like and what style of enclosure do you have?

Hi, I didn’t think they could lay with out a male! How Naive of me! No she doesn’t!
Humidity, 48/50
Temp, 75/80

Hi, I didn’t think they could lay with out a male! How Naive of me! No she doesn’t!
Humidity, 48/50
Temp, 75/80
Hi and welcome! :) Here’s what you need to do today as soon as a possible. Get a plastic bin, plant pot or whatever you have around that is at least 10x10x10” or somewhere close to that. Get some (preferably) play sand or even potting soil and put it in the bin at least 6-8” deep. Not coco coir! Moisten it all until it is wet enough to hold a tunnel without collapsing. Put that in your enclosure, loosely wrap a light sheet just around the sides that you are visible to her and then wait. Hopefully the disturbance of putting a lay bin in won’t deter her and she’ll go right to it. If she sees you watching, she won’t lay. Don’t worry about feeding her and keep your lights at their regular schedule. For hydration you could use a dripper (just not directly over the bin). If you don’t have a dripper, you can make one with a plastic or foam cup and poke a hole in the bottom with a thumbtack. The laying process from start to finish can take a couple of days and she may even sleep in her hole. Some dig multiple holes until they find one they like. I cut out little holes I can peek thru to monitor my ladies. You’ll know she’s done when she’s covered her hole and sitting in her basking area, looking dirty and much thinner.
I would suggest you have a husbandry review done just to make sure all is correct. Also, we can help advise on how to reduce the frequency and/or number of eggs laid, which will prolong your lady’s life. Any questions, ask away!:)

I’d guess that the crickets are chowing down in the Fluker’s. 50 crickets aren’t really going to eat very much. If you eat any of the foods on the gutloading sheet, I’d say just give them little bits of what you’ve got. Bell pepper, squashes, blueberry, carrot, etc. You could also add a little pinch of bee pollen.
thank youuu!!

Hi and welcome! :) Here’s what you need to do today as soon as a possible. Get a plastic bin, plant pot or whatever you have around that is at least 10x10x10” or somewhere close to that. Get some (preferably) play sand or even potting soil and put it in the bin at least 6-8” deep. Not coco coir! Moisten it all until it is wet enough to hold a tunnel without collapsing. Put that in your enclosure, loosely wrap a light sheet just around the sides that you are visible to her and then wait. Hopefully the disturbance of putting a lay bin in won’t deter her and she’ll go right to it. If she sees you watching, she won’t lay. Don’t worry about feeding her and keep your lights at their regular schedule. For hydration you could use a dripper (just not directly over the bin). If you don’t have a dripper, you can make one with a plastic or foam cup and poke a hole in the bottom with a thumbtack. The laying process from start to finish can take a couple of days and she may even sleep in her hole. Some dig multiple holes until they find one they like. I cut out little holes I can peek thru to monitor my ladies. You’ll know she’s done when she’s covered her hole and sitting in her basking area, looking dirty and much thinner.
I would suggest you have a husbandry review done just to make sure all is correct. Also, we can help advise on how to reduce the frequency and/or number of eggs laid, which will prolong your lady’s life. Any questions, ask away!:)

Hi so now she has a weird Bulge coming from her left eye and she has gone all wobbly and disoriented. I’m really concerned but none of my vets will deal with chameleons!

Hi so now she has a weird Bulge coming from her left eye and she has gone all wobbly and disoriented. I’m really concerned but none of my vets will deal with chameleons!
Do you know how to create a new thread? If so, create one so we can go through your husbandry, pictures, etc. If not ill walk you through the steps.
1. Click on the forums button
2. Tap on “create new thread”
3. After doing that a little chart should pop up saying General Discussion, Health Clinic, Enclosure and Supplies, etc. Find the HEALTH CLINIC one and click on it
4. Type in a title for the thread, say what’s going on attach pictures of enclosure, supplements, and chameleon.

Last edited:
Do you know how to create a new thread? If so, create one so we can go through your husbandry, pictures, etc. If not ill walk you through the steps.
1. Click on the forums button
2. Tap on “create new thread”
3. After doing that a little chart should pop up saying General Discussion, Health Clinic, Enclosure and Supplies, etc. Find the HEALTH CLINIC one and click on it
4. Type in a title for the thread, say what’s going on attach pictures of enclosure, supplements, and chameleon.

ahh I see, thank you for your help! Unfortunatelymy little girl was PTS this afternoon as they suspected she had a huge build up of fluid Behind her eyes. I feel I let her down but did the right thing in the end as she was so agitated and very much in pain. Thank you for everyone’s help x

i can’t tell if my cham is being burnt or not but the lights. His dorsal crest and casque are a bright orange.. i don’t seem to see any black parts on it just orange... is this okay or normal?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 6DF22115-3FD8-4891-9D8C-1251C7F6F308.jpeg
    6DF22115-3FD8-4891-9D8C-1251C7F6F308.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 7697D4B8-7B15-48EC-BF8F-45F2434567C2.png
    7697D4B8-7B15-48EC-BF8F-45F2434567C2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 98
  • 963FF0ED-B738-4780-B625-83D660D90DA8.png
    963FF0ED-B738-4780-B625-83D660D90DA8.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
i can’t tell if my cham is being burnt or not but the lights. His dorsal crest and casque are a bright orange.. i don’t seem to see any black parts on it just orange... is this okay or normal?
He looks like a she. I’m not seeing any visible burns. Some chams have a reddish tent to there casque and spikes on their back. What are basking temps? What UVB are you using? @Beman Does back right leg look suspicious to you?

Are you still using the 60 watt heat bulb? what is the distance to basking? I am not seeing thermal burns as they typically appear.

So i’m trying to buy some variety of options for my chameleon to eat off of the online store called “josh’s frogs” or something like that and i was wondering what yours all favorite insects or best insects to buy and feed your chameleon ? :)

what gut loading items should i not buy at the pet store ? and what are some like key important thing to gut load my crickets with

The best gutload is the most natural ones. If you don’t have accest to the finest stuff, apple, sweet potato, zucchini, potato, and red sweet pepper will be good, that’s what I feed my bugs with and, sometimes, i dust some calcium on the food my bugs will eat.

So i’m trying to buy some variety of options for my chameleon to eat off of the online store called “josh’s frogs” or something like that and i was wondering what yours all favorite insects or best insects to buy and feed your chameleon ? :)

Best things as staple feeders are dubias and crickets. Then you can find BSFLarvae, silkworms, superworms and treats like hornworms,butter worms, and mealworms. Although I wouldn’t recommend getting a lot of mealworms as they’re REALLY high in fat ):

The best gutload is the most natural ones. If you don’t have accest to the finest stuff, apple, sweet potato, zucchini, potato, and red sweet pepper will be good, that’s what I feed my bugs with and, sometimes, i dust some calcium on the food my bugs will eat.
Sweet potato, good. Regular white potato, not good.

omg that you all so much for the suggestions!! another thing is that a lot of those insects are really long or big and i’m scared my juvenile male chameleon might choke on it

omg that you all so much for the suggestions!! another thing is that a lot of those insects are really long or big and i’m scared my juvenile male chameleon might choke on it
As long as the diameter of the worm isn’t bigger than the space between your cham’s eyes, your cham can handle them.

Back
Top Bottom