Veiled Chameleon Coloration (Female)

Hey guys, I am pretty new to the chameleon world and I was wondering what the coloration of female veiled compared to male is.A lot of websites that give information on veileds just say females have less color than males.I wan't to know specifics because I have one and so when newbies like me search for the question on google it is right here to answer them.How big do there casques get also.When I got my chameleon it was 17 grams or so, it has been 66 days and she has only gained 7 grams since.The last time I measured her from nose to end of tail was about a month ago and she was 7".She is green usually but latley she has been grey in the cage with lighter grey dots.Will she get the pretty black stripes on eyes with blue dots and yellow lines like males? I have heard there is a special shed they have called "exploding", do females "explode"?Answers would be appreciated, thanx!:D

Dont get your hopes up on the female coloration. They do color up abit shades of green and some yellow and maybe a bit of blue. Still nothing as bright compared to that of the males though. The casque will be smaller but still eye catching. Females can be a joy to keep but they do require extra attention due to egg laying. Just make sure that you have an egg bin when she is matured. That is because they can lay infertile eggs.. If they arent provided with proper egg laying facilities they will become egg bound and die.

Gravid female veiled.....
http://s139.photobucket.com/user/pohchunyee/media/IMG_1216.jpg.html

Mature female veiled chameleon...
http://media.photobucket.com/user/Brittany19906/media/speedy5.jpg.html?filters[term]=female veiled chameleon&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=11

Definitely recommend that there is a suitable place for any adult female veiled chameleon to dig IN her cage at all times so you won't miss her need to lay eggs. Failure to do so can lead to eggbinding and death.

Gravid female veiled.....
http://s139.photobucket.com/user/pohchunyee/media/IMG_1216.jpg.html

Mature female veiled chameleon...
http://media.photobucket.com/user/Brittany19906/media/speedy5.jpg.html?filters[term]=female veiled chameleon&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=11

Definitely recommend that there is a suitable place for any adult female veiled chameleon to dig IN her cage at all times so you won't miss her need to lay eggs. Failure to do so can lead to eggbinding and death.

The second link didn't work, but oh, my how pretty the first picture is!

I have a young female veiled maybe three or four months old. At what age/size should I start to worry about her laying eggs?

I've read a few articles/blogs on this web site which recommended lower temps, no basking light and less food for females to stop them from cycling. At what age/size should I start cutting back on everything?

I've traveled through the area they are native to, and it is a pretty barren environment, nothing like the way they seem to be kept in captivity. On the one hand, I want her to grow big and strong but on the other, I don't want her to cycle, or if she does, to only lay a small clutch, not the hundred I've heard can happen.

They do have nice coloring when they are receptive to mating. Nice aqua and yellow spots. However, they will be mostly green. That by no means, means they are unattractive. Females can be easier to handle than the males, also. You just to weigh the following factors: eggs and a laying bin, which can mean more precise supplement schedules, handling, size (males are larger), colors, temps (females prefer it 5°f cooler at basking spot), lighting (making sure uvb bulbs are definitely changed on schedule), etc...

If female veileds are healthy and happy they can be just as gorgeous as any male veiled or panther IMHO. Here a few of my females past and present.

Camille

CamilleJune172011045.jpg

Sadie

sadie100412019.jpg

Lottie

TateLottieRunts92114160_zps0935fd5f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom