Veiled chameleon age?

BubbaVeiled

Hey y'all, formerly ReggieVeiled here. My chameleon finally got here this morning. I decided to name him bubba instead because he's orange instead of green. I got him from flchams (going to get a poop test asap). He is the cutest little man I've ever seen in my life and I'm very happy. His tail is not curled up, he's not gaping, bones look strong. He seems healthy. He's just been hiding behind leaves and staring at me and my partner. We've been leaving him alone and sitting far away from him. But I noticed he's small. Like really small. He's supposed to be 2 months old. But he looks more like 1 month which worries me. I know the younger they are, the more fragile. And I've never had a chameleon before so I'm nervous honestly. I have the dripper going and a bowl of bugs for whenever he feels ready to eat. But he's just been up near the top of the cage hiding and staring at me. Any advice? Can anybody tell if he's actually 2 months old? He really does not look like it.

Attachments

• IMG_26161.jpg
    IMG_26161.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 107
Also he looks a bit translucent? Is this normal? His dad is a big orange guy with blue speckles. But young bubba is translucent looking with orange tinted feet.

That is a very young one.. You can tell because the casque is quite small. I would put it between 1-2 months at most. I hope you have tons of pinhead crickets...
He does not look like a translucent Veiled to me. They are very distinct.

I have small roaches, small wax worms, and small superworms and fly larvae for him right now
And how is he doing with those? Typically they are slower to take to new feeders and will back off eating because of it. You literally need tons of 1 week old crickets.

I have not seen him eat or drink anything yet. But I hear that's pretty common for new chameleons. He's just been very active and climbing the plants on the sides of his cage. He tries to eat the leaves but he can't yet lol. Can I buy pinhead crickets at pet stores? Or do I need to order online?

I have not seen him eat or drink anything yet. But I hear that's pretty common for new chameleons. He's just been very active and climbing the plants on the sides of his cage. He tries to eat the leaves but he can't yet lol. Can I buy pinhead crickets at pet stores? Or do I need to order online?
Some may carry the smaller ones. Otherwise look online order for fast delivery. I bought from rainbow mealworms when I fed crickets.

What @Beman said, but also fruit flies, you can get them at petco as well. Defiantly young, even 2 months seems like a stretch. How long is his body? I was just in a pet shop that had one could not have been a month old.

I can get fruit flys from my kitchen my man. Roommates don't clean. I'm gonna check petcosmart and some bait shops though. Hopefully he'll eat crickets

I can get fruit flys from my kitchen my man. Roommates don't clean. I'm gonna check petcosmart and some bait shops though. Hopefully he'll eat crickets
lol so these would be wingless fruit flies bread for feeders. But the regular ones in your kitchen would work. Put a small bit of banana in his cage to attract some. But yes no bait shop crickets not the best.

That's really funny that you said that, one of them followed Me from the kitchen and flew straight into the cage. Bubba was eying it hard. Looked like he wanted to eat it

That's really funny that you said that, one of them followed Me from the kitchen and flew straight into the cage. Bubba was eying it hard. Looked like he wanted to eat it
DO IT lol seriously though. It is great if they always have a few random insects to pick off. Even my adults eat fruit flies. I mean not as a staple or any thing just when the land in range.

DO IT lol seriously though. It is great if they always have a few random insects to pick off. Even my adults eat fruit flies. I mean not as a staple or any thing just when the land in range.
Now would you like to tell him how many of those kitchen fruit flies he would have to catch each day to be even close to enough for a cham that small? lol.

Now would you like to tell him how many of those kitchen fruit flies he would have to catch each day to be even close to enough for a cham that small? lol.
oh only like 60 to 70 a day, I mean till he grows a bit any way then a few more. LOL I get the fruit flies too. Believe me I have wished there was a way to scoop up all those little suckers. Of course when you see how many they eat vs what you see in your kitchen you will be thankful you don't have enough in your kitchen. LOL

While you guys are still here, is it ok for me to just turn his lights off? He was supposed to have lights off 30 minutes ago but he's on the top right corner on a leaf and is slowly walking around still. Should I just cut the lights or wait for him to get on a branch? Does it matter? He seems like he's getting sleepy.

He just has like a whitish tint to him. Is it just because he's young? He has a faint orange stripe on his side and orange feet too which is cool
i think his colors will be pretty cool when he grows up then! translucent is usually easier to tell. what did the breeder/place say about him, did they say anything about him being translucent, or making you pay more for that possible reasoning?

Back
Top Bottom