Veiled Chameleon Age

yackin

I have a female veiled chameleon and I have no idea how old she is or when she should start laying eggs I know chameleons aren't starter reptiles but this is my first one and I wanna be sure I'm doing everything right I have a place to lay her eggs but I'm not sure if she will or if she is even old enough I'm honestly hoping she doesn't lay because I don't want her to be stressed if there's anything anyone can help me with that would be great I've been doing research and I got her a new cage yesterday the size is 61 x 61 x 122cm (24"x24"x48") I know the cage is big for her size but I didn't want to keep buying cages because of how expensive they are I have more plants and stuff coming in I noticed that she was also trying to eat vines and when I had her in her smaller cage she would try to eat the moss she hasn't seemed very happy lately and today was the first day that she went to the bottom and tried to dig I noticed and immediately put a place for her to lay in there but she hasn't touched it since I included a picture of her bin I have only had her since January 10th

Attachments

• 16163562359556581276469684575125.jpg
    16163562359556581276469684575125.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 16163563910859107024049650889555.jpg
    16163563910859107024049650889555.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 80
Can you fill this out please

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

1. handle her every like 3 days or every week it depends how much I'm home
I don't know much about her I powder her crickets and use the repti calcium and I put meal worms and wax worms in bowls for her to eat I also sometimes put a bowl of calci worms in there

So the lay bin is not nearly big enough, and you should fill it with washed playsand. what your chameleon will do when she is ready to lay is, first, she will climb down in the lay in and dig a deep hole in the lay bin, second, she will turn around and stick her butt in the hole and lay the eggs(around 25 eggs is a healthy amount) and last, she will climb out of the hole, bury the eggs, then climb back to her branches thirsty, skinny,hungry, and with some sand on her.(Make sure to give her food and lots of water)The time it takes for your Chameleon to do the whole process varies from chameleon to chameleon, but my chameleon took a day and a half. You need to make sure that the playsand is moist enough that if you dig a hole with a spoon, the sand will hold it’s shape. Also, you need to give her plenty of privacy, and cover the bottom 1/3 of her cage with a sheet, blanket,etc. To give her privacy while she is laying, because if she sees you, she may stop laying her eggs and become egg bound. Here is some pics of my Cham laying in her lay bin.

Attachments

• 483694D9-0C81-4089-BE12-A0D5513BC1CA.jpeg
    483694D9-0C81-4089-BE12-A0D5513BC1CA.jpeg
    244.1 KB · Views: 76
  • C6BFF60E-DF24-4DB0-8891-EC1D0C32CFA0.jpeg
    C6BFF60E-DF24-4DB0-8891-EC1D0C32CFA0.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 74
Please post a photo of her sitting on something we will know the size of so we can see all of her.
this is the best picture I can get I don't think she has been eating much so she hasn't been moving much I think free ranging the crickets in this sized cage doesn't work

Attachments

• 16164333085373652737196879182274.jpg
    16164333085373652737196879182274.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 67
So the lay bin is not nearly big enough, and you should fill it with washed playsand. what your chameleon will do when she is ready to lay is, first, she will climb down in the lay in and dig a deep hole in the lay bin, second, she will turn around and stick her butt in the hole and lay the eggs(around 25 eggs is a healthy amount) and last, she will climb out of the hole, bury the eggs, then climb back to her branches thirsty, skinny,hungry, and with some sand on her.(Make sure to give her food and lots of water)The time it takes for your Chameleon to do the whole process varies from chameleon to chameleon, but my chameleon took a day and a half. You need to make sure that the playsand is moist enough that if you dig a hole with a spoon, the sand will hold it’s shape. Also, you need to give her plenty of privacy, and cover the bottom 1/3 of her cage with a sheet, blanket,etc. To give her privacy while she is laying, because if she sees you, she may stop laying her eggs and become egg bound. Here is some pics of my Cham laying in her lay bin.
do I need a bin that big I had a feeling it wasn't big enough so I bought a bucket I hope this is deep enough

Attachments

• 1616433558319421362369657973283.jpg
    1616433558319421362369657973283.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 56
this is the best picture I can get I don't think she has been eating much so she hasn't been moving much I think free ranging the crickets in this sized cage doesn't work
I got a better picture but I kinda made her mad while doin it haha

Attachments

• 20210322_104245.jpg
    20210322_104245.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 69
I filled the bucket the most I could I'm out of soil I know I need play sand but I'm putting this in there for now until I get the play sand just in case she really needs to get rid of the eggs I'm almost positive she has eggs in her but there's a part of me that doesn't think that because I've seen people on this forum who've had their chams for years and haven't gotten a cluster

Attachments

• 16164353493757352992067084371081.jpg
    16164353493757352992067084371081.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 57

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
I have a veiled female chameleon I've had her for about 2 almost 3 months
I handle her whenever I'm free obviously not everyday but I try to handle her a decent amount so she'll be social when she's grown up
I dust 2-3 of her crickets everytime I feed her or every other time but she hasn't been eating the crickets I don't think she can find thme the cage is huge compared to her
I use flickers orange cube complete cricket diet to gutload and reptisafe for the water i keep a bowl of meal worms in there and give her meal worms almost everyday I heard they were very good for them I use a reptile humidifier I bought off Amazon instead of misting but the cage is big so I mist in like once or twice a day still I got a new thing for the water because the little dripper sucks I have a sreenshot of the water fall I use for her I just got it yesterday and she hasn't used it yet not that I know of
her waste is still healthy it's a firm log but you can still press it in easily she has never been tested for parasites I got the cham when she was 3 months old I'm pretty sure that's what the pet store said but I'm not sure
my cage is all screen the size is 61 x 61 x 122cm (24"x24"x48")
I have the zoomed heat lamps and use 80 watt bulbs I'm getting 100 watt ones soon thoough
during the day the temperature is from 70-80 and at night it gets down to 60 I don't have anything to measure the humidity right now I'm getting on and it should be here anytime today
I don't have any live plants but I'm planning on getting a money tree to put in there
the cage isn't directly under anything but a little infront of it there is a vent for ac/heat and the fan blows air on the cage the cage is on the floor because I don't have a very big room to put the cage I was thinking about putting her in my closet and leaving it open during day nd closing it at night I'll include a picture of the cage and I live in tuscon Arizona so it's hard to maintain moisture please get back to me asap I've been very worried

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210321-222929_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210321-222929_Chrome.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 16164369413781006392240344591445.jpg
    16164369413781006392240344591445.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 69
So first you are going to want to get rid of the waterfall because it can host bacteria from dead bugs to chameleon poop etc., and second before my Alien laid she had a leg hanging from the branch whenever she was laying there but when she wanted to walk around she could use it perfectly so I think that is a sign of a pregnant Chamaeleon Jillian laid she had a leg hanging from the branch whenever she was laying there but when she wanted to walk around she could use it perfectly so I think that is a sign of a pregnant Chameleon!

So first you are going to want to get rid of the waterfall because it can host bacteria from dead bugs to chameleon poop etc., and second before my Alien laid she had a leg hanging from the branch whenever she was laying there but when she wanted to walk around she could use it perfectly so I think that is a sign of a pregnant Chamaeleon Jillian laid she had a leg hanging from the branch whenever she was laying there but when she wanted to walk around she could use it perfectly so I think that is a sign of a pregnant Chameleon!
thank you! how long does the pregnancy last and can you tell how old she is I'm not positive

No problem! How long last ferry from chameleon but as soon as I noticed that my chameleon was pregnant it was about a month later that she was all done! I’m not positive but she looks to be just under a year old. @Beman

I said..."Please post a photo of her sitting on something we will know the size of so we can see all of her"...there's nothing in your photo of her that indicates size so I can't even guess at her age.

I handle her whenever I'm free obviously not everyday but I try to handle her a decent amount so she'll be social when she's grown up
I WOULD GO EASY BION THE HANDLING.

I dust 2-3 of her crickets everytime I feed her or every other time but she hasn't been eating the crickets I don't think she can find thme the cage is huge compared to her YOU DUST WITH WHAT
SPICIFICALLY.

I use flickers orange cube complete cricket diet to gutload and reptisafe for the water
ORANGE CUBES ARE NOT WORTH BUYING IMHO. FRESH VEGGIES AND GREENS WOULD BE A BETTER FOOD FOR CRICKETS, LOCUSTS, SUPERWORMS, ETC.

i keep a bowl of meal worms in there and give her meal worms almost everyday I heard they were very good for them
THERE ARE MUCH BETTER INSECTS FOR HER THAN MEALWORMS...SUCH AS SILKWORMS, BSFL....OCCAISIONALLY HORNWORMS, WAXWORMS, SUPERWORMS.

I use a reptile humidifier I bought off Amazon instead of misting but the cage is big so I mist in like once or twice a day still ..DURING THE DAY IR NIGHT?

I got a new thing for the water because the little dripper sucks I have a sreenshot of the water fall I use for her I just got it yesterday and she hasn't used it yet not that I know of
A DRIPPER CAN BE MADE FROM. DELICUP WITH A TINY HOLE IN THE BOTTOM SO IT DRIPS AT THE RATE OF ONE IR TWO DRIPS PER SECOND. WATERFALLS ARE GERM COLLECTORS AND ARE NOT RECOMMENDED.

her waste is still healthy it's a firm log but you can still press it in easily she has never been tested for parasites I got the cham when she was 3 months old I'm pretty sure that's what the pet store said but I'm not sure WHAT COLOR ARE HER URATES?

I have the zoomed heat lamps and use 80 watt bulbs I'm getting 100 watt ones soon thoough FOR UVB ITS RECOMMENDED THAT YOUNUSE A LONG LINEAR REPTISUN 5.0 TUBE LIGHT OR AN ARCADIA 6 LONG LINEAR BULB. FOR BASKING A REGUKAR HOUSEHOLD INCANDESCENT BUKB IS RECOMMENDED.

during the day the temperature is from 70-80 and at night it gets down to 60 BASKING AREA SHOULD BE AT 89F.

I don't have anything to measure the humidity right now I'm getting on and it should be here anytime today

I don't have any live plants but I'm planning on getting a money tree to put in there LIVE NON TOXIC WELLWASHED BITH SIDES OF THE LEAVES OLANTS ARE RECOMMENDED FOR VEILEDS BECAUSE THEY EAT LEAVES AND FAKE ONES CAN CAUSE AN IMPACTION.

the cage isn't directly under anything but a little infront of it there is a vent for ac/heat and the fan blows air on the cage the cage is on the floor because I don't have a very big room to put the cage I was thinking about putting her in my closet and leaving it open during day nd closing it at night NOT A FAN IF THE CLOSET IDEA OF CLOSING THE DOOR T NIGHT. JUST MYBOPINION. INALSO WOILDNT HAVE A FAN BLOWING COLD AIR ON HER CAGE.THE CAGE SHOULD BE RAISED OFF THE FLOOR TOO IMHO.

I'll include a picture of the cage and I live in tuscon Arizona so it's hard to maintain moisture please get back to me asap I've been very worried

ALSO...YOUR SUBSTRATE IN THE EGG BIN NEEDS TO BE MOIST ENOUGH TO HOLD A TUNNEL....AND REPLACED WITH WASHED PLAYSAND ASAP TOO.

I dust 2-3 of her crickets everytime I feed her or every other time but she hasn't been eating the crickets I don't think she can find thme the cage is huge compared to her
I use flickers orange cube complete cricket diet to gutload and reptisafe for the water i keep a bowl of meal worms in there and give her meal worms almost everyday I heard they were very good for them I use a reptile humidifier I bought off Amazon instead of misting but the cage is big so I mist in like once or twice a day still I got a new thing for the water because the little dripper sucks I have a sreenshot of the water fall I use for her I just got it yesterday and she hasn't used it yet not that I know of
her waste is still healthy it's a firm log but you can still press it in easily she has never been tested for parasites I got the cham when she was 3 months old I'm pretty sure that's what the pet store said but I'm not sure
I have the zoomed heat lamps and use 80 watt bulbs I'm getting 100 watt ones soon thoough
during the day the temperature is from 70-80 and at night it gets down to 60 I don't have anything to measure the humidity right now I'm getting on and it should be here anytime today
I don't have any live plants but I'm planning on getting a money tree to put in there
the cage isn't directly under anything but a little infront of it there is a vent for ac/heat and the fan blows air on the cage the cage is on the floor because I don't have a very big room to put the cage I was thinking about putting her in my closet and leaving it open during day nd closing it at night I'll include a picture of the cage and I live in tuscon Arizona so it's hard to maintain moisture please get back to me asap I've been very worried
the lighting is normally the first thing I notice. Your lighting is incorrect, you need a T5HO 5.0 or 6%, or a 10.0 from what I’ve read on the forum.
For me, I don’t really trust/ like the cube gutload, but that may just be the inner chemical hatred in me, but whatever. You can use fresh fruits and veggies to gutload and I just feel like it’s a lot healthier for the animals eating them.
Also with the mealworms, from what I’ve read they are harder for chameleons to digest bc of the chitin content so I’d recommend not feeding them as often/ at all.
Hope this helps, let me know if I’m wrong on anything

Back
Top Bottom