Veiled Chameleon- 4-5 mos old

Debbienflorida

I have a female Veiled- just under 6 mos old. She eats well, crickets, Supers and Zebra silks. First question: When should I provide a bucket for digging a nest? She is well rounded but not fat but I will start looking for picks of females ready to lay dso I know what to watch for I was just wondering when.
Question 2" I have a drip system but never see her actually drinking water from it or off leaves. The biggest plant is a very bushy Pothos and it drip directly on a leaf. She hates being misted but the warmer the water the less she hates it. Sometimes tho she actually hisses. I usually have the spray bottle on a fine mist and occassionally set it on stream a slowly allow it to drip on her face and she does take in a bit then. Is she drinking more when I don't see it or is she getting enough moisture from the feeders?
Question 3: I am wondering about handling. I see some pics of folks holding theirs and they seem tame. I would never dream of taking her outside out of a cage. I imagine she would bolt. When I do hold her is is by force ( I have probably tried 4-5 times in 2 months.) Should I force her to let me hold her (she has bit but it is more of a pinch than a bite but I imagine it will hurt more as she grows) or are some Chameleons not destined to be tamed? I would like to be able to hold to examine up close occassionally without terrifying her and I would like to be able to have her sit on my hand or shoulder at times but I don't want to stress unnecessarily. I guess the point is if they like human contact I want to give it but am content to observe if that is the type of pet they are. Thanks for reading my long winded questions but this is my first Chameleon and even though I read this forum daily these are things I would like to know specifically. Thanks in advance!

IF SHE'S 6months then you should put the egglaying box in there asap.

wouldnt worry about not seeing her drink as long as her urates are white.

if she dont respond well to contact, thats your answer, dont take her out.

mine is a male yemen..5 months old..when i get him out of the cage he walks on me..sits on my hand and is fine..the only time hes moody is when i try to take him out of the cage..
i make sure i handle mine every day for about 10-20 minutes.iv been doing this sinse i got him.This keeps him tame..i can now hand feed him if i want which is good.if u take her out every other day she will soon get use to you..

When did u get her?im wondering if she has been picked up from a baby..this is the reason mine is tame..sinse a baby its been picked up every day.

Back
Top Bottom