Veiled Chamelelon Biting Fake Leaves

ju5t1n

Yeah I saw my male veiled chameleon Yoshi Chomp down and a leave and try to pull it away. All my plants are fake though. His poo seems like he's getting enough water it's pretty much all white with brown just a tiny tiny tiny dot of yellow. Every time I see him do it I spray down his cage but I never see him drink any drops.
What can I do? or what does it mean?

Remove them. If he ends up eating plastic or silk plants he could possibly die. I would suggest you put in some live plants. Pothos, ficus, hibiscus, shefflera, are all safe for your chameleon to eat. He might not realize they are fake but he may injest some of it before it is too late. How much are you feeding him per day?

feeding

feed him lots of greens...crickets, worms etc.. should make only half of diet..get him regular feeding of kale, apples, and spinach:D

feed him lots of greens...crickets, worms etc.. should make only half of diet..get him regular feeding of kale, apples, and spinach:D

I don't think spinach is a good vegetable to feed as it is said to block the absorption of calcium.

i looked into that and have found difinitive proof of this allegation.

Proof? Its one thing to say this but please show actual proof/studies.

Agree with Carol.....scrap the spinach and get some live plants in his cage. I use dandelion greens, kale, romaine, apple, spirlina, orange, apple, bee pollen, kelp, carrots, kiwi, sweet potato, live sprouts and a small amount of ground raw nuts.

Here is a link to Sandrachameleons blog on gutloading....its all you need!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html

Proof? Its one thing to say this but please show actual proof/studies.

Agree with Carol.....scrap the spinach and get some live plants in his cage. I use dandelion greens, kale, romaine, apple, spirlina, orange, apple, bee pollen, kelp, carrots, kiwi, sweet potato, live sprouts and a small amount of ground raw nuts.

Here is a link to Sandrachameleons blog on gutloading....its all you need!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html

I think she/he meant to say "I have NOT found difinitive proof to support this allegation" Something for you to read As quoted on the livestrong website: What Foods Block Calcium Absorption?
Calcium is a mineral essential to the health of the human body. It plays a role in many processes including muscular contraction as well as the expansion and contraction of blood vessels. It is also essential in bone development. Calcium intake requirements generally increase with age with the average person age 19 to 50 requiring 1,000 mg per day. Many of the foods you eat contain calcium, although some foods also have the ability to block the amount of calcium your body can absorb.

Spinach, Soybeans and Cocoa
Sometimes foods that are generally considered to be very healthy and nutritious foods contain calcium that your body cannot absorb. Spinach, soybeans and cocoa all contain oxalic acid. This substance binds together with the calcium in the food containing it, rendering it nearly impossible to absorb. The good thing about oxalic acid is that it does not affect other foods that you may eat during the same meal.

Proof enough for me!!!!

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/291119-what-foods-block-calcium-absorption/#ixzz1MxkNHl1m

Last edited:
Hummm I'll try to put the hibiscus back in my cage it looked cool with it in their but the plant was kinda dieing so I put it outside.
He's eating about 7-10 medium black crickets and he's about about 6 months old
black-cricket-juv.jpg

They are about the size of an adult house cricket maybe a tad bigger.
house_cricket.jpg

I'll try some apples and oranges tomorrow. Do you guys just use like a metal wire to put the apples on the side of the cage?

Does he have any trouble eating those size? They look kinda big! I have a panther who does not eat anything but insects so I cannot help you on the fruit thing and how to feed it.

I don't think so Yoshi's kinda big they are smaller then the space between his eyes the wide way not the long way of the crickets. I'd say a little bit less than 3/4 the space between his eyes.
I got a list of plants that are chameleon safe but what kind of plants do good indoors in his cage that are safe?

Here he is after I took him off the hibiscus plant a little less than month ago.
That's just a little drop of water on his side back.

Attachments

• Yoshi.jpg
    Yoshi.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 256
Jeez ur cricket in the first pic was super black makes it look EVEn more like a roach -__- eating fake plants = bad bad bad. Ido have fake plants in my enclosures too.... but oddly my Veileds wont touch greens for nothing! Ive tried different greens.. Ive tried wiggling... Ive tried mixing in the container but they seem to avoid picking up the actual leaf. the closest my Chameleon has ever come to eating a plant was when He was snatching a hornworm off a pothos leaf and the little guy wouldnt let go so I helped out and pulled the leaf away from the worm...

usually eatting leaves is a sign he needs some more hydro! try implementing a dripper and giving him extra mistings. i agree with everyone...GET RID OF THE FAKE!! you can get some live plants for under 10 bucks and it will look great.

i also assume your catching your crickets? if you live in a apt/condo complex or any other type of living where the yard maintenance is done by professionals. make sure you ask if they spray chemicals for weeds and such. then ask the property managers if they spray outside for pest.

Oh no way I buy the crickets from a reptile store down the street lol
Yeah tomorrow is gunna be a cage make over!!!!
Any plant suggestions that will thrive in an indoor cage that's chameleon safe?

Back
Top Bottom