Veiled Cham

SmallToes

This is Alex my first chameleon! I use to let him explore this aloe but when he returns he gets the sneezes, so I no longer allow him to walk along the dusty plant. Oh yeah, I'm not even 100% this is a little man so I will provide some photos and I appreciate any feedback! I can take more photos if anyone feels unsure

Question unrelated to this topic, if you would try to explain to me what the white stripes can represent? As seen in the last two photos SHE has decided to?? Idk why but I'm so curious

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum. :) Looks like to my eyes that you have a pretty little girl cham. I can’t give any input about the aloe plant, but can give you some helpful advice. If you‘re open to it, you can fill out the attached help sheet and have your husbandry reviewed by one of the members so that you can make sure your girl gets all that she needs.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Wooow! Thank you for the information. This is my fourth week with the sweet girl. As much as I appreciate the communities assistance I have spent hours staring at respective chameleon owners caresheets and to-do's so I'm going to answer the questions that will give you guys closure on my husbandry. I only handle her when there's lots of natural light coming into my window and she is able to bask in the aloe plant while munching down on house grown lavender. She enjoys looking out the window and slightly wobbling throughout the aloe branches. As per her diet, she gets Mealworms, Waxworms and calci worms one day and the next, salad following superworms, spotted roaches and the occasional hornworm :love: (probably most chams favorite) 2-3 crickets per day. Every morning she gets a very light vitamin without D3 dusting on her food. As seen in a few photos she has a dripper that constantly drips onto her leaves, such is why the two bowls are under the leaves (to catch falling droplets) ((these are very shallow dishes as I know it can be a risk of drowning)) I spray mist 2 times a day and 3 when I can, soon I'll be picking up an auto misting system. (Also yes I visually see her drinking first thing in the morning) Currently no live plants in the enclosure. Located in my room in a low traffic corner 8ft away from large windows. Droppings are healthily large brown along with white/yellow urate to follow. I picked up the large Chameleon set with the screen sides, it came with 2 bulbs. (I researched each one before installing them) I figured the natural sunlight from window basking was good for her. I own 3 snakes so I already own a temp gun, she has 86-72 from the top of her cage to the very bottom. Also it is over 5ft from floor to cagetop, I am at eye level with the topmost of the enclosire. I live in Wyoming :p Hoping not to hear I'm not doing good for her, I intend on adding lots more to her cage but I think everyone has been through the starting phase.

Wooow! Thank you for the information. This is my fourth week with the sweet girl. As much as I appreciate the communities assistance I have spent hours staring at respective chameleon owners caresheets and to-do's so I'm going to answer the questions that will give you guys closure on my husbandry. I only handle her when there's lots of natural light coming into my window and she is able to bask in the aloe plant while munching down on house grown lavender. She enjoys looking out the window and slightly wobbling throughout the aloe branches. As per her diet, she gets Mealworms, Waxworms and calci worms one day and the next, salad following superworms, spotted roaches and the occasional hornworm :love: (probably most chams favorite) 2-3 crickets per day. Every morning she gets a very light vitamin without D3 dusting on her food. As seen in a few photos she has a dripper that constantly drips onto her leaves, such is why the two bowls are under the leaves (to catch falling droplets) ((these are very shallow dishes as I know it can be a risk of drowning)) I spray mist 2 times a day and 3 when I can, soon I'll be picking up an auto misting system. (Also yes I visually see her drinking first thing in the morning) Currently no live plants in the enclosure. Located in my room in a low traffic corner 8ft away from large windows. Droppings are healthily large brown along with white/yellow urate to follow. I picked up the large Chameleon set with the screen sides, it came with 2 bulbs. (I researched each one before installing them) I figured the natural sunlight from window basking was good for her. I own 3 snakes so I already own a temp gun, she has 86-72 from the top of her cage to the very bottom. Also it is over 5ft from floor to cagetop, I am at eye level with the topmost of the enclosire. I live in Wyoming :p Hoping not to hear I'm not doing good for her, I intend on adding lots more to her cage but I think everyone has been through the starting phase.
So it is not about giving us Closure on her husbandry... It is about making sure you have gotten all the correct information.
I kinda feel like your response is a slap in the face to those that were willing to offer assistance. By not filling out the form in its entirety you are giving us half information and doing a disservice to your chameleon and yourself IMO. Honestly with your response it does not seem as though you are open to feedback being as how you feel that it is giving us closure.
1. She gets no uvb through the window. It will not penetrate glass and it is even reduced when going through screen.
2. Your lighting is inadequate for UVB.
3. Mealworms are low in nutritional value.
4. Salad... You need to be cautious of what veg you are feeding her.
5. read up on lay bins as she will lay infertile eggs.
6. aloe is not used for two reasons with Veileds... They have edges that are sharp but if they are munching on it then it could create a health issue.

Should you be interested in feedback then you should post the form with all the info requested and include images of your cage.

1) UVB doesn't go through glass
2) coil bulbs don't produce enough UVB at a distance through screen to be of any benefit to any chameleon. She needs a a T8 or T5HO linear UVB hood. I prefer T5HO less energy and more uvb output.
3) she's at the age where you want to cut her back to every other day feedings no more than 8 feeders total. The more a female eats the larger the clutch size she produces. Not to mention the fat stored blocks her cloaca which makes it harder for her to pass all those eggs.
4) yeah I said eggs. Female veileds are like chickens and produce clutches of infertile eggs. She will need a laybin in order to do this.
5) vitamins and minerals are also essential and should be offered as well at least once max of twice a month

1) UVB doesn't go through glass
2) coil bulbs don't produce enough UVB at a distance through screen to be of any benefit to any chameleon. She needs a a T8 or T5HO linear UVB hood. I prefer T5HO less energy and more uvb output.
3) she's at the age where you want to cut her back to every other day feedings no more than 8 feeders total. The more a female eats the larger the clutch size she produces. Not to mention the fat stored blocks her cloaca which makes it harder for her to pass all those eggs.
4) yeah I said eggs. Female veileds are like chickens and produce clutches of infertile eggs. She will need a laybin in order to do this.
5) vitamins and minerals are also essential and should be offered as well at least once max of twice a month
Isn’t that what @Beman just said??
you also don’t cut back on feeders till she shows she’s receptive

I just wanted to know the sex so I knew what care regiment to use. I am not the best at expressing my situations nor did I come here to be grilled. Just cause I didn't specify the greens type doesn't mean I'm throwing in seasoned coleslaw. Just cause she eats a couple mealworms doesn't mean she's going to be fat. I appreciate the information provided and I apologise to open a can of worms...

I just wanted to know the sex so I knew what care regiment to use. I am not the best at expressing my situations nor did I come here to be grilled. Just cause I didn't specify the greens type doesn't mean I'm throwing in seasoned coleslaw. Just cause she eats a couple mealworms doesn't mean she's going to be fat. I appreciate the information provided and I apologise to open a can of worms...
mealworms won't make her fat. They are low in nutritional value. Your not being grilled. Yes, it looks as though you have a young female. I am not seeing any tarsal spurs on her back feet. The reason why the salad was brought up is if you are using spinach you should stop because it is calcium binding for them. And you will want to get a new UVB light for her. A t5ho fixture with a 5.0 bulb and this should sit directly on the top of the cage with her basking 7-8 inches below to receive the right amount of UVB lighting. MBD is very common with these guys when the wrong lighting and supplements are provided. With females this is particularly dangerous because they lay eggs.

So with all that said... It is not about trying to correct you. It is about making sure you got all the right info because there is a ton of info out there and most is incorrect. We see too many times where people find the forum too late to make changes and their chams die. So we offer up our knowledge hoping to change that outcome for others that come here... So if you want thorough feedback for her husbandry post the form so that you get all the info we can provide so that not only she lives a long healthy life but so that you don't have to go through the heartbreak that we see here.

Yes would anyone else like to take a shot at my confidence while the anxiety is still fresh? Not understanding why there's no option to disable further comments here. I know what I must change now thank you.

It’s your choice on how you take it, take the advice and give your Cham a good home, or don’t and see what happens..... again your choice

Yes I do care and that is why it's frustrating to only hear what I'm doing wrong.. I didn't set the tone respectively which sabotaged my own experience here. :rolleyes: I came to share my love for the little one and was not expecting to hear that I was not doing good for her. Simply from the moment I picked up the chameleon kit with two bulbs in it.. and thought it would be pleasant to spend time outside the mesh eating some lavender. Please know I value the information given and I wish I hadn't given the impression that I didnt.

Yes I do care and that is why it's frustrating to only hear what I'm doing wrong.. I didn't set the tone respectively which sabotaged my own experience here. :rolleyes: I came to share my love for the little one and was not expecting to hear that I was not doing good for her. Simply from the moment I picked up the chameleon kit with two bulbs in it.. and thought it would be pleasant to spend time outside the mesh eating some lavender. Please know I value the information given and I wish I hadn't given the impression that I didnt.

There are a lot of members here that have dealt with some new members that did not show willingness to change for the benefit of their animals. It can be very frustrating and at times we can forget that not all new members are like that. Hopefully you don't feel like we are attacking you, but truly want you to be successful.
Sometimes we seem to be ganging up on someone, but we just want to help!

Back
Top Bottom