Veiled Cham - One Eye Closed - Help Please.

Here are a few pics now:

Here are a few pics now.

Attachments

• IMG_0222.jpg
    IMG_0222.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 87
Hi, yer i see that it wont let me upload any more and i still have space available so not sure whats going on there?

Yes i have a shoebox maybe slightly larger size container full of sand for her. i placed that in there yesterday.. do you think she needs to lay her eggs then or??!

Regarding her eye, which is my main concern with her atm, she has it closed and seems to be rolling her eye and pushing it around inside her eye lid / socket.

Any thoughts on how i can cure her?

Not sure about the egg production which is why I wanted more pictures. It would be good to see her size compared to (for instance) your hand.
Also wanted to see if she had the yellow splotches that indicate sexually maturity.

Also...the container should be opaque and at least 12" deep x 12" x 8"....filled almost full of moistened washed playsand.

As I said...if its not the lights that are bothering her eye, given that the eye is seeming to be more irritated than at first, I would take it to a vet. It could be that something is in the eye. You could try gently showering the eye to see if it helps first.

Another pic:

Here is a pic of her on my hand about a week ago as i dont really wanna stress her by getting her out her cage again.

I personally cannot see any yellow on her at all, but im no expert.

I have a vets a couple of mins away but they dont specialize in reptiles.. is that better than nothing or?

The manage attachements part didnt work again and i didnt realise, had to create photobucket acccount just then etc. Ill try more misting and saline solution.. fingers crossed.

LOL Kin.

I tend to think that the area right around the eyeball just simply sometimes gets a bit crusty with either tiny bits of skin unshed or/and minute debris. I saw this on and off with my adult male when he was younger, and it occurs with my 6mnth girl.
I do note it tends to happen between sheds and seems absent after. Going by the sheer number of threads like this, it would seem common. Never noticed it happen with both eyes simultaneously either, always one or the other, why this should be im not sure. :)

Saying that she did shed about 4-5 days ago so maybe its some irritation from that.

I just the misting bottle and sprayed it onto her side including the eye with clean water and touch wood she hasnt closed it for the past 5-10 mins where as before she would have it closed the whole time.

I hope thats got something out of her eye that was lodged in but it seems too good to be true...

That was short lived - she now has it closed again same as before but after being sprayed directly its open so it is having an affect just dont know why.

I have ordered some of the terramycin eye ointment for her and ill give that a go when it arrives, or on the other hand shall i leave her to get on with it and not stress her and hope she gets better?

After having a similar issue with my panther for the past month, went to the vet and he was given tobramycin drops which i felt didnt help but he also got 2 shots of vitamin A spaced over a week, also purchsed a better humidifier and hes back to normal. I felt that humidity was the issue and caused of all this but i did also use the saline flush as it seemed he had dried debris in his eye. Good luck!

Try placing her in the bathroom while it steaming and u will see that she will open her eye. If this is the case, humidity is an issue.

Last photo was too blurry to get a good close look at the eye, but if it shed a week ago, could be just getting stuck together a bit. (wet skin does tend to clump up and stick together, might harden some as it drys and be a bit scratchy) It'll be handy to have the ointment , if you do use it, be extremely careful. Id leave be, mist a few times a day for few more days and see if it opens up again first. :)
Are those silk plants? Could be tiny fibres from frayed edges got in there, airborn dust maybe? The eyelids are designed to clear debris from the eyeball, same as ours, ever wake with crusty stuff in the corner of your eyes? Could be a similar thing, just stuck on the rim of the eye. You spray, it softens a bit, it dries and hardens again.
IF ,ONLY IF, your confident, you might have a go at GENTLY wiping with a wet Qtip (roll the Qtip with your fingers paralleled to the eye (not pointing into it), see if anything comes away.

it could be something stuck, i just got some turtle eye drops and gently rubbed her eye with a qtip with the drops on then rinsed her eye with them after and she still has it closed.

She is now scratching her eye on the plants and wood but i cant see it being something in her eye as i would have thought it would have come out by now with all this rinsing, saying that, when she is out on my hand they are both open fine.

Dont know what to do...

I meant wet the Qtip with water, and wipe, not rub. :)
Just let it be, see how it goes, its not life threatening mate. :D
can you take a pic of the cage showing the lighting, also any room lighting?
If you leave her be in the cage, does it close either eye on one side as she moves around, or is it just the one?
All I can think of is it may have scratched the surface of the eye itself on something, if it has that might require the ointment
but a vet will need to take a look with an opthalmoscope .
Check for any odd sharp bits on branches, fake vines and so on.
Im out of ideas really.
If your really bothered by it, by all means get a vet, atleast you'll know then. :)

Last edited:
yer it was more of a wipe than rub tbh just the way i worded it :) lol.

i see what ya saying about it not being life threatening but i just dont like her not being 'right' if you get me :). I wil try and take a pic of it tomo as im not at home right now.

She has a 18" reptile one UVB 5.0 bulb along the entire length at the back and a 40w basking lamp more towards the centre of the top. The temps are all fine i checked them again.

If i leave her be, no matter where she goes it IS the same eye that is closed. I think you may be right with scratching the surface of the eye. The ointment - i think that is a cream by the looks of the tube isnt it?? and will that help with a scratch or will it just get better in due course?

Oh and for some further information as it may help, i found out today that at the shop where i bought the chameleon there are a couple of other young ones all in the same viv (large) and all of them are closing either one eye or both, just wondering whether it could be something to do with the lighting as both the shop and me was using the 10.0 uvb bulb but now both changed to 5.0 uvb etc.. seems weird that they are all doing it now and wern't a couple of weeks ago.?

Any ideas? thanks.

Back
Top Bottom