veiled cage

We had a baby cham in that big of a cage and it was fine until we had to feed, it is nearly impossible to feed small crickets in such a large enclosure. Works if you have good lighting/heat, but bad for feeding =/

I've had my veiled chameleon in a cage that big since he was about that old. While he was still small I got away with it by bowl feeding him. I got a ceramic bowl meant for guinea pigs and I'd shake the supplements on his insects, then put them in the bowl.
He has mostly eaten crickets, dubias, and superworms, none of which could climb the slick sides of the bowl. The bowl is just deep enough that crickets don't think to jump out and the chameleon could get himself out if needed. It's a cheap option, but make sure you watch the chameleon while it eats just in case it can't get itself out!
If you choose to try this, make sure that the bowl is not clear. The cham will try to shoot the insects from below or through the sides.

I've had my veiled chameleon in a cage that big since he was about that old. While he was still small I got away with it by bowl feeding him. I got a ceramic bowl meant for guinea pigs and I'd shake the supplements on his insects, then put them in the bowl.
He has mostly eaten crickets, dubias, and superworms, none of which could climb the slick sides of the bowl. The bowl is just deep enough that crickets don't think to jump out and the chameleon could get himself out if needed. It's a cheap option, but make sure you watch the chameleon while it eats just in case it can't get itself out!
If you choose to try this, make sure that the bowl is not clear. The cham will try to shoot the insects from below or through the sides.

Ya that's what I'm doing right now is bowl feed I moved him to it yesterday so he is still nervous and only eaten 3 dubias so far still offering them though,the mesh in my cage is to big to free range insects anyways

You may want to consider free ranging insects when he's bigger. Hunting them seems to be good for the chams' psyches and helps keep their tongues healthy.

Back
Top Bottom