Veiled ate a plastic leaf

apple_or_a_gun

My young adult female Veiled apparently took a bite out of one of her plastic plants while we were asleep last night. She isn’t acting any differently than usual and was doing her “is-it-time-to-eat” routine when I opened the cage to mist this morning (which is when I discovered the plant issue.) I am going to remove the plastic plants today and purchase some real ones as soon as possible. I’m going to make her daily soaks a little warmer than usual, and feed her a few wax worms instead of crickets. Is there anything else you can suggest I try to get her to pass this, or is a vet visit in order immediately? I’ve attached a picture of the leaf in question (it’s a pretty stiff, hard type of plastic.) Thank you in advance!
B1D4E216-516C-4597-AA16-1A96B8889C65.jpeg

Before you panic make sure she didn’t spit it out, look for it in the bottom of the viv. If you can’t find it, go to the vet. If it was a small piece she may be able to pass it on her own but it looks like she took a full bite, I’d go to the vet.

What do you mean by “daily soak?”

I prepare about 3/4” of tepid water in a container and I supervise while they hang out in it. My female has more regular BM/urates when she soaks and cannot get out of my hand fast enough to get to that water; my male (who is of unknown age but clearly quite old) will only drink when he sits in a soak.

My female doesn’t probably “need” it—she just seems to enjoy it. The male is a foster animal from a reptile rescue where I volunteer, and about two months ago, stopped drinking from any source we provided in his viv. It was kind of the vet’s last ditch effort before giving subcutaneous fluids, and it worked. Since it’s summer, we usually do a 10-minute soak outside to take advantage of the natural light.

I am a veterinary assistant, but I am very, very new to the profession and just beginning to get my feet wet with herps! I’ve been lurking on this website for several months for general tips and info, but before now never had a problem that I needed help with.

Before you panic make sure she didn’t spit it out, look for it in the bottom of the viv. If you can’t find it, go to the vet. If it was a small piece she may be able to pass it on her own but it looks like she took a full bite, I’d go to the vet.
Thanks, that was actually my first thought, too. I didn’t find anything at the bottom (and as I was removing the other plastic plants, I shook them out and made sure it hadn’t gotten stuck somewhere.)

For reference, the leaf in question is 2cm at the widest point and 3.5cm long. The eaten part measures 0.75cm wide and 1.25cm long. She weighs 150grams and 11” long (when her tail is straight behind her.) I don’t know if that gives an idea of how big the eaten piece was in relation to how big she is.

Thanks, that was actually my first thought, too. I didn’t find anything at the bottom (and as I was removing the other plastic plants, I shook them out and made sure it hadn’t gotten stuck somewhere.)

For reference, the leaf in question is 2cm at the widest point and 3.5cm long. The eaten part measures 0.75cm wide and 1.25cm long. She weighs 150grams and 11” long (when her tail is straight behind her.) I don’t know if that gives an idea of how big the eaten piece was in relation to how big she is.
I’m sorry, Brodybreaux25, I just realized it was you posting both of those replies. Sorry for my multiple replies back!

Unrelated to my initial post, but I felt that I should clarify—in the older male’s case of dehydration, we tried a dripper, a times mister, manual misting for longer periods of time, and even a shallow dish with a air hose to make it bubble (I know it’s not a very good option, but we tried it). Wouldn’t drink and then wouldn’t eat. He has a very weak grip and cannot hold onto things like branches or plants (and on a rounded surface like my hand or arm, he needs supported), so the shower method wouldn’t work.
During his soaks, I place a towel in the bottom for traction, and he never has any trouble.

Also, when i say he drinks in the soak, I mean he literally puts his mouth in the water, opens up it a few times, tilts his head back, and rinse/repeat. I initially let him do that for as long as he wanted, and would remove him when he stopped drinking and started walking around. Now, he stays in for about 10 minutes a day. He’s back on his food, urates returned to white, and his eyes aren’t sunken like they were starting to get.

I don’t want to speculate that he came from an abusive situation, but he was in pretty bad shape when he was surrendered to us. Very thin, color terrible, weird fungal problems on his ventral side, and the weak grip. He’s scheduled for blood work next Wednesday to see if he has kidney issues.

I prepare about 3/4” of tepid water in a container and I supervise while they hang out in it. My female has more regular BM/urates when she soaks and cannot get out of my hand fast enough to get to that water; my male (who is of unknown age but clearly quite old) will only drink when he sits in a soak.

My female doesn’t probably “need” it—she just seems to enjoy it. The male is a foster animal from a reptile rescue where I volunteer, and about two months ago, stopped drinking from any source we provided in his viv. It was kind of the vet’s last ditch effort before giving subcutaneous fluids, and it worked. Since it’s summer, we usually do a 10-minute soak outside to take advantage of the natural light.

I am a veterinary assistant, but I am very, very new to the profession and just beginning to get my feet wet with herps! I’ve been lurking on this website for several months for general tips and info, but before now never had a problem that I needed help with.
I have a hard time believing that she literally can’t wait to get in, but if you say so, I’d love to see a video!

I have a hard time believing that she literally can’t wait to get in, but if you say so, I’d love to see a video!
I will try to get one today! She does the long-arm reach to get to the container. It’s also short enough for her to climb out of, which I have seen her do several times when we’ve been outside and she wants to perch on the side of it to get more sun. She hates my phone though, so usually when I take pictures or videos, I get the angry mouth open face.

Also, when she was younger, she would sit in the drip-catcher water to go to the bathroom. Now that she is in a taller enclosure, she doesn’t go to the bottom to do that very often anymore.

I do have a video of the male, though, from one of the first soaks we did. I’ll post as soon as a I find it!

I will try to get one today! She does the long-arm reach to get to the container. It’s also short enough for her to climb out of, which she has done in the past,
Looking forward to it but back to why you started this thread, have you made an appointment yet?

Yes, I called after your first reply.
The soonest the closest exotics vet can see me is next week.
I put an email out to the three vets I volunteer with to see if maybe they had any availability sooner.

I’d love to see a video of him too.
Slightly phone/computer illiterate—it says my video file is too large, and I don’t know what to do to make it smaller. I have an iPhone 6s. Is there a relatively easy way to do this, or should I try to send the clip to you in a private message?

Wow I’ve never seen before he looks like he is cleaning his eyes as well

I know it’s weird, but we do this every day now. ‍

I tried to get a video of my female, too, but she goes into Hulk-mode when my phone comes out. Every time I pick it up, she whips around hissing and biting and doesn’t stop until I put the phone back down. (All of my “nice” photos of her are taken on the sly or from a distance. Most photos I have of her are her angry face.) See attached.

Attachments

• 52229106-96CA-4CC6-A67F-F5592CA45435.jpeg
    52229106-96CA-4CC6-A67F-F5592CA45435.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 40D5BACA-4911-477B-86F0-B3A77372C3FB.jpeg
    40D5BACA-4911-477B-86F0-B3A77372C3FB.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 166
  • 009DA3DA-25CA-4693-8FEA-CF39177D84E7.jpeg
    009DA3DA-25CA-4693-8FEA-CF39177D84E7.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 183
That’s so cool, cleaning eyes and all! He does look old. Next time you do the female I’d love to see her reaching for the pool, that’s very uncommon!

Just keep an eye on your girl for signs she’s going down hill like no food/water, eyes closed, no basking, larhargic, or swollen gut. I’d also be digging through every poop I could find. Ain’t it crazy what we put up with for these critters?

That’s so cool, cleaning eyes and all! He does look old. Next time you do the female I’d love to see her reaching for the pool, that’s very uncommon!

Just keep an eye on your girl for signs she’s going down hill like no food/water, eyes closed, no basking, larhargic, or swollen gut. I’d also be digging through every poop I could find. Ain’t it crazy what we put up with for these critters?

I will definitely be on poop patrol. Thank you for all the advice and guidance.
If she ever stops raging at the sight of my phone, I will definitely post a video. :)

We don’t get a lot of chameleon surrenders where I volunteer, but when we do, they almost always come with kind of bad health issues. Brix (my girl) was brought in relatively healthy, just a tad aggressive (which I am assuming was the reason for surrender.)

You could try feeding pureed pumpkin or pear it might help ease things thru but it's either going to pass on it's own or require veterinary assistance. I have my fingers crossed that it passes.

Edit: Not pumpkin pie filling and don't feed a lot.

Back
Top Bottom