Veild vs Panther Cham

FloodedYeti

I am looking for my first chameleon and I heard both Veild and panthers are good to start with but I cant decide between the two on one hand the veild is significantly cheaper which is a huge pro for me at this time costing about 700 dollars with supplies and the panther costing about 1000 with supplies I do like that the panther is a little more friendly and colorful though.

To set a veiled or a panther up properly it is going to cost you at least about 1,500.00 dollars more. This is not a cheap hobby. Not to mention feeders and vet visits. This 1,500 does NOT include the price of the chameleon

Yep just like your first 3 response to this if your concern is how much it will cost then this hobby isn’t for you.

All chameleons are amazing I don’t have a favorite haha! You really can’t go wrong with either of those 2 species though as long as you have done your research. Spending money in this hobby or on any animal for that matter is just part of the equation. Money shouldn’t define what animal you choose if that’s the case you should really consider another pet because chameleons take ALOT of your money haha!

All chameleons are amazing I don’t have a favorite haha! You really can’t go wrong with either of those 2 species though as long as you have done your research. Spending money in this hobby or on any animal for that matter is just part of the equation. Money shouldn’t define what animal you choose if that’s the case you should really consider another pet because chameleons take ALOT of your money haha!
Way more money than you think, even if you budget it. It's always oh this dripper broke, the chameleon ate too much of the plants and now some are dying, the light burnt out, they're eating more and more and seem to always like the expensive bugs- Hahaha.

I am looking for my first chameleon and I heard both Veild and panthers are good to start with but I cant decide between the two on one hand the veild is significantly cheaper which is a huge pro for me at this time costing about 700 dollars with supplies and the panther costing about 1000 with supplies I do like that the panther is a little more friendly and colorful though.

As stated by other users your cost estimates are off...
Save for the right equipment and supplies, ( not a kit!!!) then set aside for your first vet visits. Then get a Panther because that’s what you seem to want, and if you are going to cheap out you aren’t ready anyway. Plus panthers are friendly.

I'd say go for whichever. Veiled chams are better in the sense of thier diet and their easier to get locally, but panthers do have alot of benefits too. I'd say you budget is good, but it depends on what you're getting and where. If you want to save money, don't short out on the quality of the products but where you get them. Buy used cages on Facebook market place if they look reputable. Also, live plants really work better because you usually get more plants and plant matter than you pay for. 5 dollars for a little pothos can get you multiple giant pothos vines in the future if you give it time.

I'd say go for whichever. Veiled chams are better in the sense of thier diet and their easier to get locally, but panthers do have alot of benefits too. I'd say you budget is good, but it depends on what you're getting and where. If you want to save money, don't short out on the quality of the products but where you get them. Buy used cages on Facebook market place if they look reputable. Also, live plants really work better because you usually get more plants and plant matter than you pay for. 5 dollars for a little pothos can get you multiple giant pothos vines in the future if you give it time.
Here is my list
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...GDqPXHIeFwJECM9jEWjB6WTt4u0/edit?usp=drivesdk

Panthers! Two thumbs up! They are the sweetest!!!

Panthers are amazing creatures and can display such lovely and diverse colors.
But to play devil's advocate you can see lovely colors and patterns in veilds as well just more limited to greens / yellows.
If the price difference is something that will allow you to go above and beyond on your equipment with an XL enclosure, a misting system, a linear quad bulb uvb and 6500k plant lights, and dragon ledges to mount lots of live plants use the money saved to maximize your enclosure and husbandry go with a veiled if you have the money to get the gear then go with your heart and @FloodedYeti just evaluate the difference between species and go from there.

I guess my point is Whatever you do don't skimp out on your set up your looking at 800-1000$ between enclosure lights mister suppliments vet and some cash for the feeders without a Cham either way so the price difference is really a drop in a bucket at the end of the day.

@Matt Vanilla Gorilla
I recently met the brother of my Chameleon (panthers) and was soooo shocked on how different both their colors as well as personalities and demeanor were. His big brother was a chill and charming with heavy reds while my guy is a big turquoise and green jerk.
I didn't handle my Chameleon much for the first few months I've owned him only hand fed. he is more similar to how people described their veileds. even my vet was shocked with how "spirited" he is.

I'll take him out pretty regularly for a day in the yard but it's less stress to him if I just carry his entire enclosure to the yard vs attempting to use a free range set up.

It's amazing how much information out there says not to handle them and seeing what a difference it makes between two panthers.

Last edited:
I disagree with the comments about veiled diets. I have 2 veileds and 2 panthers. One veiled does nibble on leafy greens on occassion, but I do not consider it a substinative part of her diet - more like an occassional snack. The other veiled wouldn’t touch a fruit or veggie if you paid him.

Their care is similiar, so if money is a concern the veileds themselves are less expensive then a panther, but as others have said, if money is a deciding factor I wouldn’t recommend a chameleon. I stopped counting what we have spent but it was a sizeable part of our budget this year!!

As for personalities, one vieled is feisty, everyone else is pretty laid back. My
male veiled is super gentle. That being said, I only handle them when bringing them out for free range or outside time, as well as hand feeding now and then.

Back
Top Bottom