Veil NOT Veiled

You don't call a horse with spots a 'spot horse'. You call it a 'spotted horse', just as you call a chameleon with a veil a 'veiled chameleon'. I really hope this is not a serious debate...

Really, though, is there any proof that it is called a Veil... just curious...

They are called veiled chameleons. As ferret said. They have what has commonly been described as a veil. Since it is described on a object "chameleon" it therefore is a veiled chameleon.

They are called veiled chameleons. As ferret said. They have what has commonly been described as a veil. Since it is described on a object "chameleon" it therefore is a veiled chameleon.
That's what I thought!!!! I was scared for a minute!

Really, though, is there any proof that it is called a Veil... just curious...

All the literature refers to them as Veileds and occasionally as a Yemen chameleon. Nothing refers to them as a Veil chameleon.

Not funny to mess with novices, Junglefries.

Veiled is correct.

It is supposed to be indicative of the casque resembling a bridal veil, resulting in a lizard wearing a veil. If you are high on drugs or intoxicated or just plain artsy and imaginative.

If you wear a veil, you are then veiled.

For clarification:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/veiled

In this case the lizard itself is said to look like it is wearing a "veiled hat". The whole lizard is not said to resemble only the veil itself.

Hence the lizard is "veiled".

The lizard is not "a veil".

It has always been veiled in the literature when used instead of yemen or yemenese or just plain old calyptratus.

FWIW I always thought it was kind of a stupid name anyway. From the beginning, I have always thought they should be called "the lizard that looks like it was dreamed up by dr suess, sounds like darth vader, and acts like something from aliens".

Last edited:
Sorry I was at the pub! No bacon margarita but did have a few of those manly chameleon drinks for those of you keeping score.

What about the word Veild? When did that start?

Also you really have to wonder about airplanes.

I like cheese

Thank you. Someone finally understands.
Anyway apparently I am wrong. Both books I have and the long debate we had on here months ago, all led me believe Veil not Veiled. I apologize. For years,I have been beating my head against the wall over nothing. Still doesn't change my mind about them. They are the purplest V8 swimming trees I have ever seen. I guess what really sold it to my way of thinking is an adjective that acted in the past tense. I don't consider myself a whited person or my dog a littled cocker spaniel. For anyone I confused, my apologies. But in order to aggravate everyone that aggravated me saying veiled, I will continue to write veil, for payback. Thank you, Hinkle McKrinkleberry.
Hey York, pass the cheese. Before it becomes cheesed. :D

Veiled is correct.

It is supposed to be indicative of the casque resembling a bridal veil, resulting in a lizard wearing a veil. If you are high on drugs or intoxicated or just plain artsy and imaginative.

If you wear a veil, you are then veiled.

For clarification:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/veiled

In this case the lizard itself is said to look like it is wearing a "veiled hat". The whole lizard is not said to resemble only the veil itself.

Hence the lizard is "veiled".

The lizard is not "a veil".

It has always been veiled in the literature when used instead of yemen or yemenese or just plain old calyptratus.

FWIW I always thought it was kind of a stupid name anyway. From the beginning, I have always thought they should be called "the lizard that looks like it was dreamed up by dr suess, sounds like darth vader, and acts like something from aliens".

I think the name is rather appropriate. The species is from the Arabian Peninsula, where all the women are veiled and all the men wear head coverings called ghutras.

To settle it once for all, let's all agree to just call them for what they are: MEAN. :D
Go Green HighHats. :eek:

They are not mean! They are from the desert. They are tough like the bedouin. You try living where they live--you would have a lot more respect for them!

I owned some of the first ones imported to the USA. They were veiled back then too. Thanks for the notification that they have been renamed by you for the rest of us to fall in line. :)

Glad to see we got this straight. Vincent was already giving me attitude this week, last thing I needed was him to have that kind of ammunition against me.

Back
Top Bottom