UVI, UVB, Solarmeter, lighting... Video Explanation :)

Beman

Social Media Manager
Staff member
Hi y'all! I wanted to make videos with the solarmeter 6.5 to provide a better explanation.

Ok so we see so many threads with UVB issues, questions, and well confusion. For me UVB was the hardest thing to grasp. Since we can't see it but we see the light we think "ok cool its good to go"... In fact when I first got my quad I was told to get a 6% bulb for it. I kept thinking it did not seem right and after a few weeks of obsessively freaking out I broke down and bought a solarmeter 6.5. I was thankful I did because I was barely getting a 1 UVI reading using a quad fixture (4 bulb fixture). Yes, they are expensive but the peace of mind it gives is amazing. I use it to check the bulbs every 2 weeks. I use it outside to make sure the UV index is not too high when I take Beman out for real sun. And I am now using it to show y'all so you have a better idea.

I want to stress that the fixture, number of bulbs, quantity and quality of reflector, UVB bulb position, along with the type of cage all will impact UVI readings. This is why it is very important to get the correct UVB bulb and not one that will under expose or over expose your cham. The only way to know exactly what you have is to have a solarmeter 6.5 to test with. HOWEVER you can mimic others setups and hopefully will be close on the correct UVI level you would get. But please even the bulb position in the fixture can change the UVI level. So mimic as close as you can if your using this method.

I also want to stress that your supplementation plays into the picture as well when we talk about the UVI level at basking. This is why you have to follow the correct supplementation. I personally shoot for a 3-4 UVI level at basking and no lower then a 2 UVI at basking. Because I supplement very very little calcium with D3. He gets what he needs from light conversion. I follow some of what Arcadia teaches in their books and incorporate repashy calcium plus LoD as my only supplement.

Species type does matter! it is not a one UVI for all species so make sure you know what UVI level your species should have along with proper fixture type.

I run a Quad T5HO fixture with single reflector and my cage is a dragon strand. My basking level sits 7-8 inches below the top of the screen. My UVB bulb is in an outside edge position and is a 12% Arcadia.

Ok so two videos here. The first one shows you a UVB bulb that is a year old and in the second video I have changed to my brand new one and how different your readings are for old vs new bulbs. plus more showing the different levels and how fast UVI levels decrease the further you move away from the bulb.

In the second video I did include readings without the screen and readings with the screen. Most of the time this is going to be about a 40% decrease under screen for UVI level. And my favorite I wanted to show you why we say plant out heavily. I have my right side denser with plants and it is also my wet side of the cage. Also showed you the levels moving away from the bulb as in the first video but with the new 12% bulb installed.

I really hope this explains more about UVB and UVI levels. :)

This is the solarmeter 6.5 I have.
IMG_4415.jpg

Video 1

Video 2

Last edited:
Hi y'all! I wanted to make videos with the solarmeter 6.5 to provide a better explanation.

Ok so we see so many threads with UVB issues, questions, and well confusion. For me UVB was the hardest thing to grasp. Since we can't see it but we see the light we think "ok cool its good to go"... In fact when I first got my quad I was told to get a 6% bulb for it. I kept thinking it did not seem right and after a few weeks of obsessively freaking out I broke down and bought a solarmeter 6.5. I was thankful I did because I was barely getting a 1 UVI reading using a quad fixture (4 bulb fixture). Yes, they are expensive but the peace of mind it gives is amazing. I use it to check the bulbs every 2 weeks. I use it outside to make sure the UV index is not too high when I take Beman out for real sun. And I am now using it to show y'all so you have a better idea.

I want to stress that the fixture, number of bulbs, quantity and quality of reflector, UVB bulb position, along with the type of cage all will impact UVI readings. This is why it is very important to get the correct UVB bulb and not one that will under expose or over expose your cham. The only way to know exactly what you have is to have a solarmeter 6.5 to test with. HOWEVER you can mimic others setups and hopefully will be close on the correct UVI level you would get. But please even the bulb position in the fixture can change the UVI level. So mimic as close as you can if your using this method.

I also want to stress that your supplementation plays into the picture as well when we talk about the UVI level at basking. This is why you have to follow the correct supplementation. I personally shoot for a 3-4 UVI level at basking and no lower then a 2 UVI at basking. Because I supplement very very little calcium with D3. He gets what he needs from light conversion. I follow some of what Arcadia teaches in their books and incorporate repashy calcium plus LoD as my only supplement.

Species type does matter! it is not a one UVI for all species so make sure you know what UVI level your species should have along with proper fixture type.

I run a Quad T5HO fixture with single reflector and my cage is a dragon strand. My basking level sits 7-8 inches below the top of the screen. My UVB bulb is in an outside edge position and is a 12% Arcadia.

Ok so two videos here. The first one shows you a UVB bulb that is a year old and in the second video I have changed to my brand new one and how different your readings are for old vs new bulbs. plus more showing the different levels and how fast UVI levels decrease the further you move away from the bulb.

In the second video I did include readings without the screen and readings with the screen. Most of the time this is going to be about a 40% decrease under screen for UVI level. And my favorite I wanted to show you why we say plant out heavily. I have my right side denser with plants and it is also my wet side of the cage. Also showed you the levels moving away from the bulb as in the first video but with the new 12% bulb installed.

I really hope this explains more about UVB and UVI levels. :)

This is the solarmeter 6.5 I have.
View attachment 251321

Video 1

Video 2

Great set up

Back
Top Bottom