UVI, UVB, Solarmeter, lighting... Video Explanation :)

I get readings with my solar meter 6.5

you are geting a "UVI" reading. It could be filtering 100% of UVB, but letting 100% of UVA through, and you will still get a UVI reading.

to check for this you would have to find a small piece of material made of unobtanium that filters UVA and lets 100% of UVB through, to check what the film is filtering. But UVB acrylic/quartz is $$$$ and most green house films purposely filter it because it destroys all the plastics and rubbers in the green house. Think about plant LED grow lights, they ant puttin out much UV anything.

you are geting a "UVI" reading. It could be filtering 100% of UVB, but letting 100% of UVA through, and you will still get a UVI reading.

to check for this you would have to find a small piece of material made of unobtanium that filters UVA and lets 100% of UVB through, to check what the film is filtering. But UVB acrylic/quartz is $$$$ and most green house films purposely filter it because it destroys all the plastics and rubbers in the green house. Think about plant LED grow lights, they ant puttin out much UV anything.
yeah this is exactly what I was thinking , I live in California so they are not covered through out the year , Im only using the green house plastic for the rainy season here which only last a couple months . im still unsure if I should start to supplement d3 for the 2-3 months they wont be getting enough or if any uvb

The solar meter 6.5 is weighted to the d3 producing spectrum of light—that is, it is most sensitive to uvb, not uva. I get readings of <0.1 uvi in my greenhouse.

what reading should I be getting to know forsure I don't need to supplement d3 ?
This is one of those controversial issues lol. It depends on who you ask honestly. John Courtney Smith from Arcadia says they need to be in a 3-4 UVI range for Veileds and Panthers to be able to go without D3 supplementation. Some will say a lower UVI of 2 minimum. Some will say still supplement with D3 2 times a month.
Since your in LA area and still get some good days of sun through winter are you able to pull the tarp 2-3 times a week so they have sun?

I am up in Eureka so I am lucky this time of year to get sun for 5 minutes in a 4 day period lol.

Again, uvb will no penetrate regular greenhouse poly. I get readings less than 0.1 in my greenhouse, while outside readings are 6-7 in full sun.
Would you recommend 3-4s or 6-7s before opting out of d3? Even tho my chams get both indoor and outdoor readings I've always supplemented litely.

Would you recommend 3-4s or 6-7s before opting out of d3? Even tho my chams get both indoor and outdoor readings I've always supplemented litely.

The people who are using 12/14% bulbs and getting reading 4+ and using LOD rapshy, are getting edema. 3.0 is 10x the recommended level of the around the year 2010 when the gold standard was the reptisun 5.0 T8 "tropical".

The solar meter 6.5 is weighted to the d3 producing spectrum of light—that is, it is most sensitive to uvb, not uva. I get readings of <0.1 uvi in my greenhouse.
Solarmeter_Model_6.5_Graph.png

Yea you would need ALOT of UVA(300-400nm) to trick the meter.

Again, uvb will no penetrate regular greenhouse poly. I get readings less than 0.1 in my greenhouse, while outside readings are 6-7 in full sun.
I ment without ,rn I'm getting readings of 1.5 inside the cages and out side the cages like 2.4 .
This is one of those controversial issues lol. It depends on who you ask honestly. John Courtney Smith from Arcadia says they need to be in a 3-4 UVI range for Veileds and Panthers to be able to go without D3 supplementation. Some will say a lower UVI of 2 minimum. Some will say still supplement with D3 2 times a month.
Since your in LA area and still get some good days of sun through winter are you able to pull the tarp 2-3 times a week so they have sun?

I am up in Eureka so I am lucky this time of year to get sun for 5 minutes in a 4 day period lol.
Ohh okay ,lately were only getting readings of 2.5 and inside the cages I'm getting reading of 1.2 at the peak of the day for about 2 hours .this is far less the the recommended 3.0 these readings are with out the mesh

I ment without ,rn I'm getting readings of 1.5 inside the cages and out side the cages like 2.4 .

Ohh okay ,lately were only getting readings of 2.5 and inside the cages I'm getting reading of 1.2 at the peak of the day for about 2 hours .this is far less the the recommended 3.0 these readings are with out the mesh
but are your readings with the tarp? Honestly @nightanole and @Kaizen know what they are talking about and with using a tarp. I have no experience there. I have used my solarmeter outside with a tarp but I have never gotten anything lower then a 6 reading in full sun. Shade I can pull a 2-3 UVI.

but are your readings with the tarp? Honestly @nightanole and @Kaizen know what they are talking about and with using a tarp. I have no experience there. I have used my solarmeter outside with a tarp but I have never gotten anything lower then a 6 reading in full sun. Shade I can pull a 2-3 UVI.
this is without the tarp , but its cooling down a lot here in la . I pulled off the tart I was using and noticed the peak of the day yesterday was around 12pm reading 2.5 outside the cages in direct sunlight and around 1.2 inside the cages with temps at 85 degrees . I just got my solar meter so im unsure what readings ill get through the summer . but as of right now in direct sunlight inside the cages the highest reading im getting is 1.2 with ambient temps at 80-85 .I have them outdoor for years and have never had an issue with mbd nor have I ever supplemented d3 . but after getting my 6.5 solar meter im a bit confused after these readings !

this is without the tarp , but its cooling down a lot here in la . I pulled off the tart I was using and noticed the peak of the day yesterday was around 12pm reading 2.5 outside the cages in direct sunlight and around 1.2 inside the cages with temps at 85 degrees . I just got my solar meter so im unsure what readings ill get through the summer . but as of right now in direct sunlight inside the cages the highest reading im getting is 1.2 with ambient temps at 80-85 .I have them outdoor for years and have never had an issue with mbd nor have I ever supplemented d3 . but after getting my 6.5 solar meter im a bit confused after these readings !
the green house plastic I bought is only for this upcoming rainy season , it wont be a permanent because the summers here get up to 100 degrees .so hopefully the green house plastic will help keep my temps up and keep the rain out . and ill probably have to switch to CAL with lod .

Back
Top Bottom