Uvb/heat bulb size

Stanly

I'm thinking of starting free ranging max (for now just allowing him to chill on a 2nd tree outside of his cage when I'm home)

my question is if I have say two trees several feet apart (with a vine connecting them) do I need 2 UVB and heat blubs for each tree, or one huge one that covers both trees, or would one UVB/heat lamp over one tree be ok? and if just one how big?

another thing I was thinking it maybe a MV uvb blub, but I don't have a UV meter. what if you used a MV bulb sort of far away and still used one tube UVB light (MV just for sort of back ground UV with the heat and uvb tube for "basking")

any input is appreciated, thanks!

It would be a good idea to have UVB on both trees... say a 48" UVB and 6500k lamp in the same fixture for the guy to have UVB and then have a heat lamp on one of the trees. I would put the heat light at an angle too so that the light hits him from his side, not straight down. Straight down can cause burns and isn't as natural. Chams bask in the morning and late after noon, not mid day in direct sunlight. I have found MUCH better results with a heat light that comes in on the ide vs. the top.

Yes, I agree with summoner12… UVB to cover the whole area & a single basking spot. Also as he said about lateral basking... much better for several reasons. It is far more natural and efficient for the cham to receive light & heat from an angle and to be able to present a large side surface to bask than "High Noon" sun from the top all day, not so efficient basking meaning much longer basking times and possibly leading to burns.

Ehh, I'd say one. They know when they need the uv rays. No need to spend the extra money, or have a massive 48" light in your house.

Ehh, I'd say one. They know when they need the uv rays. No need to spend the extra money, or have a massive 48" light in your house.

Not trying to be a jerk... but what is your chameleon free range experience?

UVB isn't a joke and is something that is needed... looks and minor money expenditures should not be a consideration, EVER, when it comes to the health of your chameleon.

Pff 6000+ posts, and more medals then a general. What do you know?! :p

I free range my 8 month old veiled right now. I use a zoo med combo hood (24" tube bulb + 3 reg bulbs) that hangs from my ceiling. She climbs to the top of the tree when she wants to get savage other wise she's all over the place. Since the switch her colors look much better, and she seems way more active.

Anyways I'm not saying skip corners at all, I truely just don't think it's needed.

31204d1295288932-new-set-up-free_range.jpg

Back
Top Bottom