UVB Bulbs - Strip light or Screw in?

Why in the world do you have your chameleon in a glass cage. This is the biggest no no. Having your chameleon next to a window plus a glass cage is dangerous. It can overheat very fast in there. Also having your chameleon next to a windows doesn't benefit them because uv rays do not penetrate that many layers of glass. There is barely any ventilation in a glass cage. Chameleons NEED flowing air. Get your cham out of a glass cage ASAP.

Why in the world do you have your chameleon in a glass cage. This is the biggest no no. Having your chameleon next to a window plus a glass cage is dangerous. It can overheat very fast in there. Also having your chameleon next to a windows doesn't benefit them because uv rays do not penetrate that many layers of glass. There is barely any ventilation in a glass cage. Chameleons NEED flowing air. Get your cham out of a glass cage ASAP.

Its actually a terrarium. A glass enclosure specifically designed for reptiles and includes proper ventilation ( warm air escapes via screen roof, while cool air descends through gaps in door as well as roof ). Usually such enclosures are used in colder climates where containing a constant/high enough temperature/humidity becomes a strong issue with an all screen cage.

your fears apply mainly to aquariums, which are constructed differently and sealed to prevent water leaks. If you do a quick search on the forums I am sure you will find numerous threads on the subject that can point out in much greater detail what I am trying to explain here. You will also see that many people have kept chameleons in terrariums, and have done so with proper husbandry.

its not an aquarium.....its a terrarium specially designed for reptiles like chameleons just like SpinyFranky said. the terrarium ceiling is made of mesh which ventilated the whole enclosure. so what i have is fine......i measured the basking, ambient and night temperatures and they are the following.....

basking 81
ambient 72
night 61

i think these temperatures are perfectly fine......and i mist 3 times a day with hot water. all i need now is BIG DRIPPER for water.

WHO DOESNT AGREE WITH MY SITUATION????? SPEAK UP...

Chamnation, I dont know the details of your cage/size/position, or the species or age of lizard your keeping in it, which may make a big difference, but generally speaking that sounds ok.
If you use a dripper though, yur going to have to make adjustments for drainage if its got a glass bottom.
The greater the thermal gradient you can create within a given enclosure the better. Bare in mind your local climate and time of year will affect those temps.
Placement by the window is not good though as explained, unless your relying on the daylight for lighting/photocues and the windows gets no direct sun. Again unless its wide open, there will be no uv benefit, and then little. :)

Well, we got our little guy today!!! I have a thread in the general section..I wasn't sure if I should post it in here or not...so I went with there!

We are so happy with him!

Thank you so much for all the help!

Chamnation, I dont know the details of your cage/size/position, or the species or age of lizard your keeping in it, which may make a big difference, but generally speaking that sounds ok.
If you use a dripper though, yur going to have to make adjustments for drainage if its got a glass bottom.
The greater the thermal gradient you can create within a given enclosure the better. Bare in mind your local climate and time of year will affect those temps.
Placement by the window is not good though as explained, unless your relying on the daylight for lighting/photocues and the windows gets no direct sun. Again unless its wide open, there will be no uv benefit, and then little. :)

i dont think it matters if the cage it right in front of the window because its double glazed.... but like i said when i stated the temps, the chameleon is about 4-5 months old, panther chameleon.

Well, we got our little guy today!!! I have a thread in the general section..I wasn't sure if I should post it in here or not...so I went with there!

We are so happy with him!

Thank you so much for all the help!

show us some pictures of the new guy.......i think everyone would like to see him.:)

Here he is ...umm..in there somewhere...lol! This is his new home until he is older and can have a custom built one!

SDC11981.jpg

Here he is hunting. He has a hanging cup that he ate out of, but there were some crickets running on the bottom, so he ran down there to get them!
SDC11982.jpg

Then he worked up a thirst!
SDC11985.jpg

SDC11977.jpg

Last edited:
Nice lizard Momahen7.
Does it ever actually drink from the bowl? looks like he's/she's drinking from drops on the leaves, thats a good thing.
You might just keep a sharp eye on exactly how much it eats for you, I say because, with all the lovely plants in there, there are lots of places for insects to hide from him. :)

No, the bowl is empty..it is holding down the carpet...lol! Looks only I guess..hahaha!

ETA- He has a drip system and I am planning on misting too!

Last edited:
Well, I at least wanted something on the bottom just in case he were to fall or something.

Right now we are going to feed him in 2 feedings, 4 crickets in the am, 4 in the pm. The crickets have their own place, so the 1 or 2 that may end up on the bottom, wont be there for long! I don't plan on letting any of his food live in there..hopefully they won't even have a chance to hide! If they do, I may have to take out the carpet.

Im sure you'll sort it out. What are going to name the little green guy? :)
Welcome to the forum by the way, I haven't seen you before. :)

since were talking about feeding.....how much should i feed my 4 month old cham????

if:

small silkworms..how many
crickets..how many
butter worms..how many

Why Thank you! Yeah, we'll figure it out, but then again, that's why I am on here :rolleyes:

He has had several names throughout the day today, but my son hasn't settled on one yet.

I am very happy with him, he has already eaten and was drinking....all within about 15 minutes of being in his new home. We had our choice from several different vendors, but this guy seemed to be the best choice. We had 1 that was trying to bite us, 1 was wild caught and seemed week and the guy who was selling these ones seemed very knowledgeable and guaranteed his babies. They were captive bred which I really liked and were very active.

Back
Top Bottom