UVB bulb question

Rlc1994

Chameleon Enthusiast
Probably a dumb question but I got a 22” Arcadia uvb bulb from light your reptiles a few years ago and never used it and I know your supposed to change them out every 6-12 months when in use but I always wondered if they go bad from just sitting there in the box un used? I might use it but just wanted to here any input on it before I did thanks.

Hello, no dumb questions here! To answer your question yes, the bulbs will go bad even if not in use. If you still have the box for the bulb there should be an expiration date for the bulb on the box.

Hello, no dumb questions here! To answer your question yes, the bulbs will go bad even if not in use. If you still have the box for the bulb there should be an expiration date for the bulb on the box.
Yes it’s still in the original box I read everything on the box and couldn’t find an expiration date it just says to replace after one year of normal use.

Probably a dumb question but I got a 22” Arcadia uvb bulb from light your reptiles a few years ago and never used it and I know your supposed to change them out every 6-12 months when in use but I always wondered if they go bad from just sitting there in the box un used? I might use it but just wanted to here any input on it before I did thanks.
That's a really interesting question.

I have no direct info but would think it's time in use. Otherwise you have to ask how long has an item been in a retailers stock before you buy it?

I've just replaced 2 that had only been in use 3 months, so kept for spares just in case. I've checked the boxes and there's definitely no use by dates shown.

I hope someone can give a definitive answer as it raises much bigger questions if my thoughts on this are wrong.

(I wouldn't risk it knowing it's sat for 4 years though lol)

I would say its fine. If not used, it won’t degrade in a few years, and I don’t see any expiration or use by date on any of my boxes. If you are worried, the best investment is a Solarmeter. This device will tell you when to replace any UVB bulb in the future.

How would a phosphor go bad/age?

Thats like saying your TV set tube is aging while its off.

Your bulb has about 10,000-15,000 hours. Replace after that time

That's a really interesting question.

I have no direct info but would think it's time in use. Otherwise you have to ask how long as an item been in a retailers stock before you buy it?

I've just replaced 2 that had only been in use 3 months, so kept for spares just in case. I've checked the boxes and there's definitely no use by dates shown.

I hope someone can give a definitive answer as it raises much bigger questions if my thoughts on this are wrong.

(I wouldn't risk it knowing it's sat for 4 years though lol)
That’s What I was thinking. Probably just better to be safe and buy a brand new one but always wondered if they go bad just sitting in the box I’ve looked around on forums and can’t find any good info if they do in fact have an expiration when not in use.

I would say its fine. If not used, it won’t degrade in a few years, and I don’t see any expiration or use by date on any of my boxes. If you are worried, the best investment is a Solarmeter. This device will tell you when to replace any UVB bulb in the future.
Yes that would be a good test to try if anybody has old bulbs that were never used to test with. Currently don’t have one hopefully one day though because they are very useful.

Back
Top Bottom