UVB/Basking Light Questions

Supercilious

Good Morning Community,

I am getting my first Chameleon shortly, but first wanted to make sure I have everything that I need. My main concerns are the UVB lighting and the basking bulb.

I just ordered the large Dragon Strand keeper cage that is 2’ by 2’ by 4’, so you know the enclosure I will be using.

I heard that Reptisun 5.0 or 10.0, is the way to go for UVB. Do you guys recommend one strength over the other? In terms of placement do you put it at the back of the cage or in the middle?

Do you recommend a certain basking bulb? Is the normal placement of the basking bulb in one of the back corners of the cage?

Thanks in Advance,

Nick

Usually the tube UVB's are the best, and definitely in your case. Depending on the amount of foliage I would tend to say the 5.0 is OK unless there is a ton of cover. I personally prefer the Arcadia T5HO bulbs for UVB. A 6% Arcadia will be ideal for a 2x2x4. What type of chameleon?

As for basking, I like to have the basking site off to one side so the chameleon can use it when needed but escape the heat easily. Regular incandescent bulbs are all you need here. Depends on the desired temp as to the wattage. Test a few to see what works best.

Welcome to the forums :)!

I came here just now to ask this very same question for my new baby girl that is coming. You guys are just so darn helpful! :-D

i want to ask about basking light ..
im living in Indonesia, right now i just use 1 exoterra uvb 100 25watt .
and my room temperature is 89F (32c) at day time and drop to 85-86F (30c) at night time.
my cage humidity is 70%(at the bottom of the cage) and graduate to 50-55% at the top of the cage.
my question is :
1. do i still need basking light ? or the temperature is enough and only need uvb light.
this is my cage.
2. can i use regular house fluorescent (maybe 25watt) together with uvb light(side by side) 20664661_10155587036368630_2649337462487314034_n.jpg for make the cage brighter and for the living plant ?

@papypoko that's a bit high ambient, what chameleon do you keep? With that temperature I would not use a basking light. Just have your uvb and low heat plant light :)

@papypoko that's a bit high ambient, what chameleon do you keep? With that temperature I would not use a basking light. Just have your uvb and low heat plant light :)
i keep panther chameleon , the breeder said this panther is 3 months old..
yeah , i think so.. the ambient is a bit high which is a bit high from the basking temperature for chameleon that i read in this forum.
i just lil bit confused because everyone using basking light..

Back
Top Bottom