UVB and basking fixture placement

RyanBRZ

Avid Member
I recently redesigned my panthers enclosure and wondering if I have the lighting fixtures setup ideally.

I selected one branch (where he is below) as his main basking branch. Above this, I have his UVB fixture at a level where he is getting between 3 & 4 on the Solarmeter. I also have his basking bulb aimed at this location so whenever he is basking, he is also getting good UVB levels, pretty much what the sun would give him in the wild. I am wondering if I should separate these areas so he can get either or and not always both. How do you guys place your fixtures? And yes, I have 2 basking bulbs temporarily to bring up my ambient temps, I ordered some window film that I will be installing early next week so I can eliminate the second bulb.

20191006_141614.jpg 20191006_141621.jpg

Last edited:
I usually put the UVB forward at mid cage and the basking behind it but that is more for aesthetics than for any good husbandry practice. Also my basking lights aren't on all 12 hours (they are off during misting) and I like my chameleons front lit as opposed to back lit.

I usually put the UVB forward at mid cage and the basking behind it but that is more for aesthetics than for any good husbandry practice. Also my basking lights aren't on all 12 hours (they are off during misting) and I like my chameleons front lit as opposed to back lit.

I put my UVB diagonal across the cage, and put the basking light next it it and angle the beam to encourage basking under the UVB.

I still have it the same as I do in my OP -- the basking light is on an angle adjacent to the UVB fixture so when he is basking, he also gets UVB. If he travels to the other side of the cage on the same vine, he can get UVB with no heat. This seems to have been working well, he spends a decent amount of time under the combination and will move himself around to get what he wants.

IMG_20191029_175646.jpg

So I'm assuming a 45° angle is better than it sitting straight on the top of the cage ?
Generally, yes. There are some (IMO) caveats.

Chameleons like/try to bask under the brightest light they see, which is often the plant/grow light rather than the basking light. When this happens, establishing a basking perch/site under the "brightest" light, and angling the basking light to shine on that spot may be necessary.

1642963888597.png

For a while, I tried (and advocated) arranging lights into a Venn diagram, so the chameleon can get whatever type of light (or combination) s/he desires.

1642964089160.png

IRL, this didn't work out. He'll bask under his UVB, basking light, or both—but for basking purposes, the plant light didn't/doesn't really enter into it EXCEPT when/where the plant light is brightest.

There're more (details) here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/simple-uvb-fixture-supports.177896/#post-1692470

Generally, yes. There are some (IMO) caveats.

Chameleons like/try to bask under the brightest light they see, which is often the plant/grow light rather than the basking light. When this happens, establishing a basking perch/site under the "brightest" light, and angling the basking light to shine on that spot may be necessary.

For a while, I tried (and advocated) arranging lights into a Venn diagram, so the chameleon can get whatever type of light (or combination) s/he desires.

IRL, this didn't work out. He'll bask under his UVB, basking light, or both—but for basking purposes, the plant light didn't/doesn't really enter into it EXCEPT when/where the plant light is brightest.

There're more (details) here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/simple-uvb-fixture-supports.177896/#post-1692470

Interesting ! Thanks for the information. I slightly angled my basking light & raised it slightly for my new baby panther 👌🏼

Back
Top Bottom