UV Sanitizer for enclosures

No one mad, it just set off a big flurry of debate ;)

Leave it to one of our resident scientists Klyde O'Scope to dig deep
He has a lot of time on his hands 🤷🏻‍♂️. I was considering a powerful uv sterilizer for a water feature/paludarium build eventually. So I'm glad this was all brought up lol.

That's what I thought. UV radiation is non-ionizing; it doesn't "soak up" or "linger", so there's no reason to wait 24 hrs (or any length of time).
The 24 hours is a requirement from my Job, not for home use. It’s for our safety (and so we can’t sue the facility.) I also work at a rehab/old home facility.

If we’re talking about UV, UVC (Which is used in these wands) naturally doesn’t reach the earth, so it doesn’t pose much of a threat as UVB.

“Soak in” is the wrong word for UVC, it does soak in but that’s poses it at useless. They can linger in rooms for a bit, so at my job we use precautions and do not go in as we as humans can soak up the radiation and begin the process of damaging our skin. We do not have the heavy PPE to go into rooms that have been disinfected with UVC. The rooms have materials that make it hard for the UVC to be soaked up in, it would cling to our clothes and skin. We definitely wouldn’t want a resident affected by this.

F859C223-275D-42A7-8A93-EF5AA040CFF5.jpeg

The experience I brought up from my job was to just let people know how careful you have to be with this stuff. You wouldn’t want to damage your chameleons skin, especially with them smaller than us, it could damage organs and their sensitive eyes.

The radiation would linger in the atmosphere for a bit if not soaked up, posing potential harm to your chameleons. It’s safe to just wait a few hours and let nature do its thing.

“Soak in” is the wrong word for UVC, it does soak in but that’s poses it at useless. They can linger in rooms for a bit,
No, it can't. That's the difference between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation.
Your quote below confirms/supports this:

Once absorbed, UV radiation is no longer active.

The radiation would linger in the atmosphere for a bit if not soaked up, posing potential harm to your chameleons. It’s safe to just wait a few hours and let nature do its thing.
No, it wouldn't. Ionizing vs. non-ionizing.

Once a UV source (A, B, or C) is turned off, there is no further exposure.

No, it can't. That's the difference between ionizing and non-ionizing radiation.
Your quote below confirms/supports this:

No, it wouldn't. Ionizing vs. non-ionizing.

Once a UV source (A, B, or C) is turned off, there is no further exposure.
The word “if” if it is not soaked up, your chameleon soaks it up, hence damage.

I not saying wait 24 hours for your Chams sticks, I was more informing people to not use it around your Chams and that possibly waiting might be a bit safer.

As for my work setting wait 24 hours.

Again, I was using my work experience to inform how dangerous these can be if exposed. We have lingering UV rays at work because the rooms aren’t made out of materials that soak UVC easily, not everything soaks UVC up. We also do not have the proper PPE to go into rooms that have been disinfected recently. We don’t use a tiny little wand, we use a industrial wand about the size of me and im 5,9.

Use this with your Chams all you want. But am I going to listen to the training we get here on how to use UVC and be protected around it? Or am I going to listen to an interpretation of how someone reads information on the internet?

I’ll stick with the training and save myself from the aftermath of potential damage.

We have lingering UV rays at work because the rooms aren’t made out of materials that soak UVC easily, not everything soaks UVC up.
No, you don't. That's like saying light from a flashlight lingers in a dark room after you turn it off.

PLEASE do a little reading about UV (A, B, & C) and ionizing vs. non-ionizing radiation.

I think most here are aware of the potential of too much/high UVB exposure, and bringing UVC into it may confuse some.

Chameleons never get UVC—and never should—so comparing it to UVB is a stretch at best. Apples & Oranges.

No, you don't. That's like saying light from a flashlight lingers in a dark room after you turn it off.

PLEASE do a little reading about UV (A, B, & C) and ionizing vs. non-ionizing radiation.

I think most here are aware of the potential of too much/high UVB exposure, and bringing UVC into it may confuse some.

Chameleons never get UVC—and never should—so comparing it to UVB is a stretch at best. Apples & Oranges.
The UVC knowledge I know it mostly from my job. They give us mandatory training and this is what we’ve been told and why we
Should take the precautions we do.

The UVC knowledge I know it mostly from my job. They give us mandatory training and this is what we’ve been told and why we
Should take the precautions we do.
I'm sure. Safety training & regs are often overly broad, and intended to protect workers. But being overly broad, they can sometimes... confuse facts/science.

None of that prevents us from doing our own homework about the materials & situations we work in. ;)

I'm sure. Safety training & regs are often overly broad, and intended to protect workers. But being overly broad, they can sometimes... confuse facts/science.

None of that prevents us from doing our own homework about the materials & situations we work in. ;)
You are right about that…

I don’t get paid enough to look it up in depth outside of work 🤣. Maybe that’s something to do in my free time soon.

You are right about that…

I don’t get paid enough to look it up in depth outside of work 🤣. Maybe that’s something to do in my free time soon.
JMO, but when it comes to personal health & safety, I make time. ;)
I know that can be hard when you're young—I 'member.
Live long and prosper. 🖖

I
JMO, but when it comes to personal health & safety, I make time. ;)
I know that can be hard when you're young—I 'member.
Live long and prosper. 🖖
The reason why I don’t go in after 24 hours is for my health, as the training would tell me.

I don’t use UVC light disinfectants at home either just because I don’t like the risk.

Maybe I’m too safe 😉.

Safety first as I would say!

Back
Top Bottom