Update on Iris

Kylarben92

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Vieled, Female, I'm thinking 3/4Months Not sure tho, I have had her for 2 weeks.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Havent handled her but have started the trust exercises from @Gingero videos. And she doesnt puff up at me. But is still hesitant to climb onto my arm for food
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Been feeding her Dusted crickets and hornworms. Tried other foods but she isnt interested yet. She eats twice a day. Once in the morning and once in the afternoon. She is eating around 15 crickets a day. And feed her hornworms random as snacks. They are gut loaded with carrots and leafy greens.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repti Calcium with D3 for once a week(Chose Sunday) and repti calcium without D3 every feeding and Repti Multivitamins interchanged with the With D3.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Hand Misting 2 or 3 times a day depending on her humidity level and if the leafs look dry. I have seen her a few times drinking off of leafs
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Her poop looks just like its suppose to according to @Gingero video on poop. and she hasnt been tested since I have gotten her. Just found a vet that has a Dr that specializes in reptiles and have delt with chameleons.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. she is my first cham and I have taken all advice I have gotten from this group in the past.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Reptibreeze 16x16x30 All Mesh.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I have a 60w bulb and a ceramic heat bulb(bc with the air conditioner on now bc of summer the the cage was dropping to to cold temps for her and I needed to raise the heat. So using both talked to my friend that has 4 chems and they are all super healthy and he has had them for years. Said that would help raise temps without the bright lights) and her enclosure turns on at 8am. And off at 8PM. With a bluetooth plug in that alerts me to it daily
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? cage floor is around 65 during the day. Middle is around 70 during the day and her basking spot is around 85. But will have to check out her temps with the new enclosure items. I have a digital instant thermometer. That sends readings to my phone and hunts levels(dont mind the pictures of temps I just got finished cleaning and remodeled her enclosure so the temps and humidy is off)
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? her humidy stays between 35-45 during the day and at night raised to around 60-70. Depending on the night. And the thermometer that I bought gage's humidy and sends it to my phone daily. And I mist 2/3 times a day
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I have 3 lives plants in her enclosure. Bromelieds and golden pothos
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Its located in my room. No fans or vents. Not a high traffic area besides me and my boyfriend. And my cat. Who she is used to now. And it's ontop of a dresser.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? 1 hour north of Pittsburgh, PA
  • I just wanted to give an updated since it's been 2 weeks. she has been doing great. Growing faster than I expected. I'm working on handling. And such but taking time for her to be comfortable. I really have no questions. Or concerns. Ima post pictures of her new enclosure. I got rid of the mosy vines and got her a bridge and a bigger area to bask in. Added a few more fake vines to give her a more secure feeling. Dont pay attention to the thermometer reading in pictures literally just put it back in after deep cleaning and adding new items. I'll also add a few pics of her. Let me know if u have any concerns. Thank u for all the amazing advice yall have given me. I hope I'm still doing decent being a first time owner and all. And only having her for 2 weeks and 1 day! Thank u for ur time!

Attachments

• 20200509_100132.jpg
    20200509_100132.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 78
  • 20200509_100125.jpg
    20200509_100125.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 20200509_100053.jpg
    20200509_100053.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 80
  • 20200509_091826.jpg
    20200509_091826.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 20200509_100057.jpg
    20200509_100057.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20200509_091813.jpg
    20200509_091813.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 81
Such GREAT improvements! Whoo :)

Few follow-up questions/suggestions:
- How long are you misting for each session?
- What are the temperatures at night without the ceramic heater? And with the ceramic heater?
- I'd try adding in a few more horizontal branches. Those leaves aren't going to hold her weight once she gets bigger.
- At this point I'd just feed her once a day in the mornings.
- Has anyone talked to you about lay bins yet?

Such GREAT improvements! Whoo :)

Few follow-up questions/suggestions:
- How long are you misting for each session? I'm misting about 1-2mins each time.
- What are the temperatures at night without the ceramic heater? And with the ceramic heater? I dont turn on the air condintioned at night. Bc it cools down at night but the temps at night are around 60
- I'd try adding in a few more horizontal branches. Those leaves aren't going to hold her weight once she gets bigger. actually the leafs are just to add some cover. There is a full bird bridge in there. I'll add a pic below.
- At this point I'd just feed her once a day in the mornings. okay I'll only feed her once.
- Has anyone talked to you about lay bins yet? I have read about them. But didnt know if she needed them yet. Or not. It was one of my follow up questions I was gonna have. There is room in the bottom of the enclosure that I could make one for her.

Attachments

• 20200509_120639.jpg
    20200509_120639.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 20200509_120645.jpg
    20200509_120645.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 94
  • 20200509_120654.jpg
    20200509_120654.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 85
And the temps with the ceramic heater. Are the basking point of 85. I dont leave it on at night unless it's just an over all cold day and the night temp is very very low

Unless it is below 50 degrees the ceramic heater should not be used at night. The night time drop in temp is good for them.
Alright. Yeah that's what I figured and the temps around here have been weird lately. One day its 80 outside and it stays warm thru the night others it's like 50 outside and very cold outside during the night. That's when I leave it on. When it gets around 30s or below

Alright. Yeah that's what I figured and the temps around here have been weird lately. One day its 80 outside and it stays warm thru the night others it's like 50 outside and very cold outside during the night. That's when I leave it on. When it gets around 30s or below
I am surprised you have your house get that cold. Just keep in mind if you are running it at night you need to be mindful of how warm the enclosure is getting. Are you fogging at night as well?

I am surprised you have your house get that cold. Just keep in mind if you are running it at night you need to be mindful of how warm the enclosure is getting. Are you fogging at night as well?
It's a very old house. And I dont mind the cold. It comfortable for me lol I'm weird. But i havent been able to afford a fogger yet. Do u think I should get one quickly? I've been putting money into a savings box thing that just for anything for her. Mostly for when I need to upgrade her enclosure size. I could take out of it. For one.

Oh and she is literally on my mind all the time. I'm constantly checking temps and humidy levels. I bought a wire thermometer that I put on her basking spot once every few days to make sure it's not getting to hot or to cold.

It's a very old house. And I dont mind the cold. It comfortable for me lol I'm weird. But i havent been able to afford a fogger yet. Do u think I should get one quickly? I've been putting money into a savings box thing that just for anything for her. Mostly for when I need to upgrade her enclosure size. I could take out of it. For one.
Well the reason why I mention it is she would be high risk for getting a respiratory infection if your heating her cage at night and running a fogger. It is one thing to heat the room to say 68 max but to have direct heat on the cage and a fogger pumping in you will create hot warm fog which is not healthy for her. So while you are using the ceramic heater at night this would be a concern. What temps are you getting at night in the cage with the ceramic heater?

Well the reason why I mention it is she would be high risk for getting a respiratory infection if your heating her cage at night and running a fogger. It is one thing to heat the room to say 68 max but to have direct heat on the cage and a fogger pumping in you will create hot warm fog which is not healthy for her. So while you are using the ceramic heater at night this would be a concern. What temps are you getting at night in the cage with the ceramic heater?
With just the heater running. Only on very cold nights. It only raises the temp up to around 50s or highest I've seen(bc I have only left it on 2 nights in the past week since I got it.) Was modern 60s. But it's about to warm up for the summer here and i wont need it on at night. I dont have a fogger.

With just the heater running. Only on very cold nights. It only raises the temp up to around 50s or highest I've seen(bc I have only left it on 2 nights in the past week since I got it.) Was modern 60s. But it's about to warm up for the summer here and i wont need it on at night. I dont have a fogger.
Ok so then your ok with night temps using the ceramic. I just would not want temps at night to go over 70. I would focus on getting her the larger cage first. Honestly you will need the space because of adding a lay bin for her.

Ok so then your ok with night temps using the ceramic. I just would not want temps at night to go over 70. I would focus on getting her the larger cage first. Honestly you will need the space because of adding a lay bin for her.
Yeah I found one that is the double doors and way bigger. Almost like 2 of the one I have no. When do u think I should add a lay bin and get the bigger cage for her?

Yeah I found one that is the double doors and way bigger. Almost like 2 of the one I have no. When do u think I should add a lay bin and get the bigger cage for her?
They can go into a larger cage at any time. I would do it prior to 6 months. As far as the lay bin this really depends on your girl. Most keep them with a permanent lay bin starting at 6-9 months old. you have to be very careful with temps for her and food intake as she matures. Basking temp of about 80 degrees and feeders are reduced for the rest of her life so that she does not develop a huge clutch.

They can go into a larger cage at any time. I would do it prior to 6 months. As far as the lay bin this really depends on your girl. Most keep them with a permanent lay bin starting at 6-9 months old. you have to be very careful with temps for her and food intake as she matures. Basking temp of about 80 degrees and feeders are reduced for the rest of her life so that she does not develop a huge clutch.
So I would only feed her after she turns 6months to about once every other day?

Back
Top Bottom