UV Sanitizer for enclosures

dinomom

Chameleon Enthusiast
This might be a game changer for sanitizing enclosures, vines, even plants. There's no reason it wouldn't work on branches, at least wherever the light can penetrate.

There are lots of UV wands on the market, but according to this company's research theirs is the "best".

https://www.phonesoap.com/products/...16fjCGQxzvXmDXywMap49qoS3avDIUlzThJkg=.PrMQ6h

There's a good video on there showing a comparison with other types.

I use their other product to put my phone into every night while charging and really like it although I have not cultured the phone to check effectiveness.

Similar things used in aquariums/ponds. My mom bought me one of those things to put your phone in too. Personally, I see it as overkill in most cases. JMO, but we have immune systems for a reason. That said, it could be very useful for breeders/people that have wildcaught or sick animals, old/young animals that may be compromised, etc. So I wouldn't rule it out! I'd be surprised if it killed coccidia oocysts though(which is pretty much the primary concern).

Similar things used in aquariums/ponds. My mom bought me one of those things to put your phone in too. Personally, I see it as overkill in most cases. JMO, but we have immune systems for a reason. That said, it could be very useful for breeders/people that have wildcaught or sick animals, old/young animals that may be compromised, etc. So I wouldn't rule it out! I'd be surprised if it killed coccidia oocysts though(which is pretty much the primary concern).
I agree, I was thinking about very periodic use, such as after treating for a respiratory infection, etc. Or if the cham repeatedly poops in one place, after wiping it down you could "nuke" that spot every so often.

Also maybe if there are crevices where crickets tend to go and hide.

For large scale projects, such as cleaning a used cage, nothing beats a few days in the sun.

In the reef keeping hobby these are highly debated. Definitely good for killing water born parasites that can affect fish and microscopic algae blooms. However it also wreaks havoc on beneficial bacteria, which are very important in the reef environment. Not sure if there are beneficial bacteria in our cages but could be possible?

In the reef keeping hobby these are highly debated. Definitely good for killing water born parasites that can affect fish and microscopic algae blooms. However it also wreaks havoc on beneficial bacteria, which are very important in the reef environment. Not sure if there are beneficial bacteria in our cages but could be possible?
Pretty sure there are beneficial ones in bioactive substrate so would not use it there

Bioactive substrate/soil in general is the same concept as beneficial bacteria in the aquarium hobby. I often like to compare them.

I haven't been in the SW hobby in a while, they used to be just debated on how much they actually help, haven't heard the bacteria aspect yet. However, most beneficial bacteria in water, to my understanding... is colonized on surfaces(hence the porous live rock, filters, etc). Like people used to say using established water was useless because the bulk of the bacteria was on things, not freely floating. So people would keep a sponge or something to establish bacteria on and put it in their quarantine tanks when the time came for new additions.

With UV disinfecting you would need to be super careful around your animals with it. We use a huge wand at work to disinfect covid rooms and we’re not allowed in when it’s on and working. It can cause blindness and harm internal organs.

Then we leave it for a day incase theres remaining radiation.

I just want to make this known incase someone unknowing of how UV cleaning works were to stumble upon this and get a wand. You don’t want to expose your animals or any live matter to it. Very damaging in some cases and it’s better to be safe about it.

As for my opinion on it, I wouldn’t get one. I think they’re for heavy duty cleaning and disinfecting. Household cleaners should be perfect to disinfect. Vinegar, hydrogen peroxide. I think are all better and safer than UV.

Just be careful with it’s use if you decide to get one. Safety should be a #1 priority.

I believe every living thing has good bacteria that keep the bad in check thus giving it a healthy immune system. Using something like this would kill the good with the bad and I don’t think it would be a good thing to use. Best to just use soap and water or in the case of coccidia, use what is recommended to treat that.

With UV disinfecting you would need to be super careful around your animals with it. We use a huge wand at work to disinfect covid rooms and we’re not allowed in when it’s on and working. It can cause blindness and harm internal organs.

Then we leave it for a day incase theres remaining radiation.

I just want to make this known incase someone unknowing of how UV cleaning works were to stumble upon this and get a wand. You don’t want to expose your animals or any live matter to it. Very damaging in some cases and it’s better to be safe about it.

As for my opinion on it, I wouldn’t get one. I think they’re for heavy duty cleaning and disinfecting. Household cleaners should be perfect to disinfect. Vinegar, hydrogen peroxide. I think are all better and safer than UV.

Just be careful with it’s use if you decide to get one. Safety should be a #1 priority.
Very interesting! So the radiation can stick around?

Very interesting! So the radiation can stick around?
Yes it can. Especially in stuff that can soak them up. Fabrics, wood… At work we decide to play it safe and give it a whole 24 hours to clear AFTER the cycle is done.

Radiation lingers. I just wouldn’t recommend these type of cleaners. It can just end so wrong in so many ways.

Yes it can. Especially in stuff that can soak them up. Fabrics, wood… At work we decide to play it safe and give it a whole 24 hours to clear AFTER the cycle is done.

Radiation lingers. I just wouldn’t recommend these type of cleaners. It can just end so wrong in so many ways.
Well then @DonKeesh bringing up the problems involving aquarium bacteria could be justified. I'd imagine it'd go all throughout the water?

What kind of radiation are you talking about? :confused::unsure:

This might be a game changer for sanitizing enclosures, vines, even plants. There's no reason it wouldn't work on branches, at least wherever the light can penetrate.
That's the catch, isn't it? How do you ensure you've covered every square cm of every plant & hidden/shaded surface in an enclosure? I can't see it—for me, anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Anything that required that level of disinfection/sterilization in my mind would involve moving the chameleon to a "hospital" enclosure until whatever infection was neutralized and probably just tossing/replacing the plants after treating the main enclosure.

Probably a good tech to keep an eye on though—like LED UVB. ;)
Now that space travel is coming back, who knows what new tech could be in-store! 😁
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=inventions+from+nasa

Wow it looks like I really touched a nerve with this one. Safety first, of course!

So much of safety involves the common sense of the user. As we know, staring at the sun can burn out your retinas..so who would stare at this light? Then again, there are people out there now who are using Magic Eraser on their teeth so stupid has no bounds. o_O

I guess I meant this as a spot type of cleaning anyway. For example, I have a couple of magnetic shelves that are next to impossible to remove to clean being on the far back wall of the cage. So for those, if cham is safely outside in his outdoor cage, I might pass it over them once every couple of months, as I am certain that they do not contain/harbor "good bacteria" that I can harm.

And I am not concerned about long term, lingering radiation in such a small footprint in a product licensed for household use.

Industrial applications are a totally different situation, those are "nuclear" options as they should be.

PS I agree that every living thing has good and bad bacteria, but this would not affect gut or skin bacteria of the animal in any way.

Sorry if I got anyone riled up!

Wow it looks like I really touched a nerve with this one. Safety first, of course!

So much of safety involves the common sense of the user. As we know, staring at the sun can burn out your retinas..so who would stare at this light? Then again, there are people out there now who are using Magic Eraser on their teeth so stupid has no bounds. o_O

I guess I meant this as a spot type of cleaning anyway. For example, I have a couple of magnetic shelves that are next to impossible to remove to clean being on the far back wall of the cage. So for those, if cham is safely outside in his outdoor cage, I might pass it over them once every couple of months, as I am certain that they do not contain/harbor "good bacteria" that I can harm.

And I am not concerned about long term, lingering radiation in such a small footprint in a product licensed for household use.

Industrial applications are a totally different situation, those are "nuclear" options as they should be.

PS I agree that every living thing has good and bad bacteria, but this would not affect gut or skin bacteria of the animal in any way.

Sorry if I got anyone riled up!
Yeah, industrial applications are different. The wand we use is like 3 feet tall with huge bulbs. I just wanted users that never heard of UV cleaning to know the effects it can have if not used properly, you never know nowadays! No nerve struck!

The FDA Has a lot of good info about this. Here’s what they’ve said.

23867FAA-34C0-4483-95EC-FF297BB0B533.jpeg

If it can do that to us imagine the damage it can do to your little guys when used irresponsibly. Again, I wouldn’t use one as I just feel safer using household chemicals. But if your responsible enough, and have good reason to (like you do) then I don’t see a problem with it.

It’s classified as UV radiation. Since it’s radiation from UV rays.
That's what I thought. UV radiation is non-ionizing; it doesn't "soak up" or "linger", so there's no reason to wait 24 hrs (or any length of time).

non-ionizing radiation​

(non-I-uh-NY-zing RAY-dee-AY-shun)
A type of low-energy radiation that does not have enough energy to remove an electron (negative particle) from an atom or molecule. Non-ionizing radiation includes visible, infrared, and ultraviolet light; microwaves; radio waves; and radiofrequency energy from cell phones. Most types of non-ionizing radiation have not been found to cause cancer.
https://www.cancer.gov/publications/dictionaries/cancer-terms/def/non-ionizing-radiation

Back
Top Bottom