Uv and glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's still the front glass and not much ventilation. Nothing like a screen enclosure.

Finally! We get to the real problem with glass enclosures.

Why yes a fish tank type glass enclosure has very poor ventilation. An exo terra has bottom ventilation. The hot air from the basking bulb rises and pull cool air into the bottom of the tank.

Finally! We get to the real problem with glass enclosures.

Why yes a fish tank type glass enclosure has very poor ventilation. An exo terra has bottom ventilation. The hot air from the basking bulb rises and pull cool air into the bottom of the tank.

Yeah I know how it works.
You think they are as ventilated as screen enclosures?

You proved that spray foam is absorbent to a small degree.. the foam walls on the inside of the tank. Your results actually proved me to be correct lmao.. look at the reflective surfaces in every pic you took. Those with flat more solid walls gave you a higher reading. Good try tho

First tank tested is the long one. Second one is the the square one. That’s a LOT of exposed glass to shoot your argument right out of the water. Quit making excuses and changing the terms. The photos outside of the cages have one surface to bounce off of versus the ones inside the cage that have 3 or 4 at least. Which was your point to supposedly prove your argument from the beginning and now you’re saying it’s the opposite?

Attachments

• D17DA0A6-E7AA-4CC6-9391-D4BCDDE17F22.jpeg
    D17DA0A6-E7AA-4CC6-9391-D4BCDDE17F22.jpeg
    328.1 KB · Views: 87
  • B0A5103D-FEBE-4606-986E-2F4814D71694.jpeg
    B0A5103D-FEBE-4606-986E-2F4814D71694.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 113
That’s exactly what I did and you’re saying it’s wrong. Quit moving the goalposts.

I'm not you just tested the relective properties of landscaping foam spray. It's very porous and dense I'm sure it absorbs alot of the rays that would be bouncing from each corner until 100% dissipated not infinitely lol. No idk how many times it bounces before it burns out but it does bounce off of glass for say roughly 30 percent of what makes it thru the screen top bounces and continues the trend

So you think the problem causing the heat in a glass enclosure is the uvb bulb?

If you setup a glass enclosure properly it can be plenty ventilated.
I think it definitely helps raise the temp by radiating the furniture etc but ofcourse the basking bulb is the main source of heat.... .. . I used to raise Jackson's in a huge glass tank b4 they had all the fancy ventilation cut outs I would run air line thru the bottom of the tank to create ventilation and bring fresh air to the bottom using an air pump. It solved alot of problems but the pump was noisy.

Trolling will not be tolerated
because of heat you moron, not uvb. Glass is a natural insulator so it cooks things. It doesn’t microwave them.

I see you ignored my proof of lots of glass in the tanks I tested, once again invalidating your theory.

Yeah I'm going to have to ignore all of your snooty little remarks. Good effort but your inconsistent. Explain why you had higher readings outside of the cage? You have 0 idea of what you are talking about and your a rude little girl.

I'm not you just tested the relective properties of landscaping foam spray. It's very porous and dense I'm sure it absorbs alot of the rays that would be bouncing from each corner until 100% dissipated not infinitely lol. No idk how many times it bounces before it burns out but it does bounce off of glass for say roughly 30 percent of what makes it thru the screen top bounces and continues the trend
Measure your UVB bulb at 36" directly below the bulb with a screen and tell me what readings you're getting? I bet it's not even at a uvi of 1 Even if some rays are bouncing off the glass they're bouncing towards the ground losing the same amount of energy at the same amount of travel distance. It's literally not even enough to measure! The UVB light rays are not gaining energy as theyre being reflected. And they're not losing energy either. But if your UVB light is pointed at the ground and a Ray from that downward motion reflects off the glass it's reflecting at the same angle it came in at. It's not reflecting directly back in the same direction it came from it still travels downwards. That's trigonometry.

Lets say in theory we have a 10.0 UVB bulb in a T5HO single reflector using a Solar meter 6.5 with a screen and we have the following readings. At 6" below bulb we have a UVI of 5. At 8" 4, at 10" 3, at 12" 2 and at 14" we barely have a UVI of 0.5. So in theory if we had an empty glass enclosure that's 10" high using that same T5HO you would have reflected UVB rays that would still have energy to produce a reading. Why? Because it reflected and still had 2-4" of measurable UVI travel distance.

Measure your UVB bulb at 36" directly below the bulb with a screen and tell me what readings you're getting? I bet it's not even at a uvi of 1 Even if some rays are bouncing off the glass they're bouncing towards the ground losing the same amount of energy at the same amount of travel distance. It's literally not even enough to measure! The UVB light rays are not gaining energy as theyre being reflected. And they're not losing energy either. But if your UVB light is pointed at the ground and a Ray from that downward motion reflects off the glass it's reflecting at the same angle it came in at. It's not reflecting directly back in the same direction it came from it still travels downwards. That's trigonometry.

Lets say in theory we have a 10.0 UVB bulb in a T5HO single reflector using a Solar meter 6.5 with a screen and we have the following readings. At 6" below bulb we have a UVI of 5. At 8" 4, at 10" 3, at 12" 2 and at 14" we barely have a UVI of 0.5. So in theory if we had an empty glass enclosure that's 10" high using that same T5HO you would have reflected UVB rays that would still have energy to produce a reading. Why? Because it reflected and still had 2-4" of measurable UVI travel distance.

using that same T5HO you would have reflected UVB rays that would still have energy to produce a reading. Why? Because it reflected and still had 2-4" of measurable UVI travel distance. BINGO BANGO. Thanks

Yeah I'm going to have to ignore all of your snooty little remarks. Good effort but your inconsistent. Explain why you had higher readings outside of the cage? You have 0 idea of what you are talking about and your a rude little girl.
Classic.
1. Make ridiculous claim and put burden of proof on everyone else
2. Someone does the work and proves you wrong
3. Change terms and point out any possible flaw to try to maintain the upper hand but still wrong
4. Resort to condescension and name calling.
You’re a dime a dozen.

Still *you’re.

The higher readings outside the cage prove your point wrong. Period.

Here's the thing @JackRipper: we don't put up with this kind of trolling here. This is a scientific community, not just a "whoever is louder gets to be right". And in this case, I'm not a rude little girl, I'm an educated scientific professional who also has moderator powers in these here parts. And I say that you're done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom