Using Sodium Thiosulfate as means of Water Purification

Ellron

Established Member
I have some Sodium Thiosulfate crystals on hand as I use them to purify my water for my African Clawed Frog. Would they be ok to use to purify dripper and mister water?
Sodium Thiosulfate on Wikipedia
To lower chlorine levels in swimming pools and spas following super chlorination.To dechlorinate tap water for aquariums or treat effluent from waste water treatments prior to release into rivers. The reduction reaction is analogous to the iodine reduction reaction. Treatment of tap water requires between 0.1 grams and 0.3 grams of pentahydrated (crystalline) sodium thiosulfate per 10 liters of water.
To lower chlorine levels in swimming pools and spas following super chlorination.
From the Wikipedia page

Last edited:
ST can be hazardous I would not recommend it. Plus there are a lot of by products that are a result of dechloring. Just use distilled water.

Well they do create known carcinagens. Sorry for the spelling. We use it in the water indust. But with these guys being sensitive I wouldn't do it.

On top of that California water has always been high in calcium deposits. That can cause mister problems.

Back
Top Bottom