Using Repta-Boost

Daddio53

I dusted 5 crickets for my girl this morning, and she ate all 5 within a minute. Obviously the dust doesn't bother her. Now I need to give her a dose of Repta-Boost, and it seems like it might be a real hassle. I can't imagine how I'm going to get her to take medicine from a syringe. So, how have you done it? Does your chameleon accept it willingly or will I be fighting her all the way? She is a Dwarf, about 4 inches long, with a great appetite, and she happily drinks water from her dripper. So do I drip the medicine slowly for her? Do I have to force her mouth open, ad if I do, how do I accomplish that? hanks for any help.

What's wrong with her? What kind of meds are you giving her? Has she been to the vets? If she's eating then why are you giving her Repta Boost?

What's wrong with her? What kind of meds are you giving her? Has she been to the vets? If she's eating then why are you giving her Repta Boost?

Nothing's wrong, she is very healthy. The previous owner told me she gave this to her. She got her at 3 months, and I thought maybe she was using it because the box says to give it to young chameleons. It's been 45 years since I've had a chameleon, and I never heard of all of the things we seem to need to do now a days. We had no gut loading, or calcium dusting, or anything like that. I just fed my old chameleon mealworms and crickets every day and everything was cool. He was 2 when he died in a fire that destroyed the whole store. I had dropped him off the day before for the vet to observe for a day or two. He wasn't sick, it was the vet's policy to observe the pet as part of his check up.

Anyway, are you saying that since she's healthy I don't need to worry about giving her the Repta-Boost? That would be fine, because I'd hate to traumatize her. The previous owner also only fed her every other day. That's maybe fine when she was the size of a pinky, but now she's 4-41/2 inches long, and I'm sure she's happy with 5 crickets a day. I think the other owner was stuck in new baby chameleon mode, and was sticking to that old schedule. As I had said, any help is appreciated.

If she is healthy she does not need it. Try and give her as much variety regarding food as possible with different species of worms and roaches.

If she is healthy she does not need it. Try and give her as much variety regarding food as possible with different species of worms and roaches.

Thanks. I'm glad I don't need to give it to her. I would hate to freak her out and make her fear me. I really appreciate your advice on this because I was unsure. And thanks to Jannb as well because I understand you were giving me the same advice.

As mentioned above, I wouldn't use it unless she's sick and/or not eating at all. A large variety of well gut loaded feeders dusted with the correct supplements is a must. Also the correct lighting is VERY important. If you haven't kept chameleons in 45 years I'm sure everything has changed. If you have a veiled or panther you should find my blog for new keepers linked below helpful.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html
More great in for here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

Forcing her mouth open would traumatise her and her being so small you may damage her. Cham keeping has changed over the years as we understand their needs more and being able to look after them better they tend to live longer. It must have been awful for you to loose your last one that way. :(

Back
Top Bottom