Using 10.0 UVB Bulbs?

EmmaChams

Went to my local pet store to pick up some supplies for my new Crested Geckos I'm getting soon and over heard a customer ask a staff member which UVB a chameleon needs and heard the employee state they can have 10.0. I spoke up and told the customer they need a 5.0 that's made for tropical species like chameleons, 10.0 is more for bearded dragons, customer didn't say anything and carried on with the employee :confused:

In an emergency could a 10.0 be used? I would think it'd be too strong :confused:

Not at all, the 10.0 are not too strong for chameleons. They're not even as strong as other UVB bulbs more and more commonly used for chameleons now, like the Arcadia ones.

I use them for everything, from babies to adults. If you have a properly set up cage with plant cover where the chameleon can move in and out of the light as they want (like they should be able to do regardless of what bulb brand you use) then it's totally fine.

When you see a chart or take your own UVB readings and compare the different outputs from the different lights compared to UVB readings outdoors you realize that the Reptisun 10.0s are definitely not too powerful. I found the 5.0s so feeble that I haven't purchased one in years now. In my opinion, anyway.

100% agree with what is said above. 10.0's are not too strong. 5.0's in most cases don't give enough UVB (especially if through screen).

I use 10.0's or Arcadia 6% for everything. Give plenty of shaded areas and you'll be Okay.

100% agree with what is said above. 10.0's are not too strong. 5.0's in most cases don't give enough UVB (especially if through screen).

I use 10.0's or Arcadia 6% for everything. Give plenty of shaded areas and you'll be Okay.

I'm about to order one of these, was debating on whether or not it would be too strong, thanks for answering my question without asking it lol

I'm about to order one of these, was debating on whether or not it would be too strong, thanks for answering my question without asking it lol

I just had Todd Goode of lightyourreptiles.com put together an Arcadia lighting system for my free-range set-up. It's quite incredible, and my guys love it. They're much more active. The light is set up on the second floor, but it leaks out of a window and actually illuminates my yard. It's a 48" dual fixture, one 6% and one 12% bulb, mounted to my ceiling. He's very knowledgeable and his prices were not bad at all. Much better to spend the money up-front on something that's going to work correctly, than shoveling money into a piece of junk. Even a little amount adds up over time. It was super easy, too. Everything that I needed was in one package and he provided detailed instructions on how to set it up. I didn't have to worry about ideal bulb strength, going out to buy bulbs to fit the fixture, how low I should hang the fixture, etc. Open up the package, put the fixture up, plug it in, and I was good to go.

I use a 5.0 uvb coil bulb with my montane species. It was worked fine for me and he moves in and out of it throughout the day. He is fairly small and in a either medium or large repti-breeze, not sure lol.

I plan getting a quad in the neat future and would probably go with a 10.0 florescent tube bulb in that set-up

I just had Todd Goode of lightyourreptiles.com put together an Arcadia lighting system for my free-range set-up. It's quite incredible, and my guys love it. They're much more active. The light is set up on the second floor, but it leaks out of a window and actually illuminates my yard. It's a 48" dual fixture, one 6% and one 12% bulb, mounted to my ceiling. He's very knowledgeable and his prices were not bad at all. Much better to spend the money up-front on something that's going to work correctly, than shoveling money into a piece of junk. Even a little amount adds up over time. It was super easy, too. Everything that I needed was in one package and he provided detailed instructions on how to set it up. I didn't have to worry about ideal bulb strength, going out to buy bulbs to fit the fixture, how low I should hang the fixture, etc. Open up the package, put the fixture up, plug it in, and I was good to go.

Actually that's where I was going to buy my dual fixture, the one that comes with the Arcadia bulb and the 6500k plant light. I think he's out right now though

For some reason people in Europe are obsessed with using only 5% bulbs with chameleons, I don't understand why . Every single person I asked about using 10% bulbs instead of 5% looked at me like I was an alien and started preaching about how 10% is too much UVB and hurts chameleons' eyes. that's why I have always thought that 5% was the way to go and was really confused when I first read here about how much better 10% bulbs are!! :eek: then I realized that it all depends on the cage's layout and now I use hql bulbs :)

Last edited:
For some reason people in Europe are obsessed with using only 5% bulbs with chameleons, I don't understand why . Every single person I talked to about using 10% bulbs instead of 5% looked at me like I was an alien and started preaching about how 10% is too much UVB and hurts chameleons' eyes. so I have always been quite sure that 5% was the way to go and was a bit confused when I first read here how much better 10% bulbs are!! then I realized that it all depends on the cage's layout, now I use hql bulbs

Good example of why people who don't know from experience shouldn't just regurgitate information as stone cold fact...

I've lived through an era where people in America got downright nasty and called someone a terrible person who shouldn't have chameleons if they kept them in glass enclosures. I've lived through an era where people insisted on breeding female veileds on their first cycle at 4-6 months of age because "they always become egg-bound if not bred". I've lived through lots of other crazy stuff too- even saw someone start one once after speculating and then restating something as absolute fact a week or so later (ficus burning cham eyes- early days of internet- one week he was wondering if there was any danger because he didn't like the sap, the next he was stating it as fact, put up a slick website, and within 6 months everyone was warning about the sap). I've seen lots of other stuff too. Mealworms eating out of live lizards, etc.

Good example of why people who don't know from experience shouldn't just regurgitate information as stone cold fact...

Exactly, easy to base your husbandry off of incorrect information.. That's why I'm glad these forums are here, any questions I have I will always ask here. I was fed plenty of misinformation with my first Cham and that led to a premature death. Sad.

I use 10.0 UVB in my 24x24x48 enclosures with lot's of leaf foliage I've never had a problem with eyes etc..

just my .2 cents.

people who don't know from experience shouldn't just regurgitate information as stone cold fact...

haha! if it was like that most internet forums wouldn't even exist :rolleyes:

I've lived through an era where people in America got downright nasty and called someone a terrible person who shouldn't have chameleons if they kept them in glass enclosures.

This still happens in Europe, and it's also supported by the myth that Europe has the best breeders, so if "the best breeders" say no glass enclosure and no 10% bulbs that MUST be the indisputable truth :eek:

not to mention the ficus sap thing, it's still very popular in Italy!!! if you tell any cham keeper over here about using ficus plants, they will automatically go in parrot mode and tell you about the sap and how dangerous it is for chams and bla bla bla... when I reply that a huge ficus plant is the "backbone" of my cham's viv and never gave me problems in 3 yrs it's: "oh you've only been lucky so far and you shouldn't do risky experiments with your animals" implying I'm a bad keeper (and person :D ) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

anyway this is going OT, it would be interesting to have a thread comparing the different methods (and myths) of chameleon keeping in EU and US :)

Last edited:
Not at all, the 10.0 are not too strong for chameleons. They're not even as strong as other UVB bulbs more and more commonly used for chameleons now, like the Arcadia ones.

I use them for everything, from babies to adults. If you have a properly set up cage with plant cover where the chameleon can move in and out of the light as they want (like they should be able to do regardless of what bulb brand you use) then it's totally fine.

When you see a chart or take your own UVB readings and compare the different outputs from the different lights compared to UVB readings outdoors you realize that the Reptisun 10.0s are definitely not too powerful. I found the 5.0s so feeble that I haven't purchased one in years now. In my opinion, anyway.

If using a HO 10% UVB, how far away would you recommend the basking
branch be away from the light?
I do have a Solarmeter, so can use that to get a good distance.

If using a HO 10% UVB, how far away would you recommend the basking branch be away from the light?
I do have a Solarmeter, so can use that to get a good distance.

I don't think my highest branch for my large chameleons is more than 5-6" away from the light (just far enough so that they don't scrape the screen.) For small/dwarf species of chameleons it's closer.

I am a strong believer in replicating natural conditions for a health cham..10.0 is gives out less uvb than direct sunlight so I will definitely not use a 5.0 any more (still have one) ...as long as there is sufficient leaf cover to hide from when they want ...all is good

Back
Top Bottom