Is T8 10.0 equivelent to T5 5.0?

Hi, Ive just been wondering my local pet shop only supplies T8 5.0 and 10.0 and T5 10.0 but ive heard that if you use T5 10.0 without the correct distance of your basking branch and without a solar meter (which i dont have) it can be harmful to your chameleon so is it better if i just bought a T8 10.0? And is a T8 10.0 equivelent to a T5 5.0?

Last edited:
Hi, Ive just been wondering my local pet shop only supplies T8 5.0 and 10.0 and T5 10.0 but ive heard that if you use T5 10.0 without the correct distance of your basking branch and without a solar meter (which i dont have) it can be harmful to your chameleon so is it better if i just bought a T8 10.0? And is a T8 10.0 equivelent to a T5 5.0?
I think a T5 with a 10 might be a lot unless you have a very big cage with a lot of opportunities for shade....but I'm honestly not experienced enough to know. The T8 with 10.0 is what I have, here's a great resource for basking branch placement from chameleon academy- This is how I set mine up.
IMG_4857.jpg

T8s and T5s are apples & oranges. T8s are older tech and will likely fade away like Betamax before too long (as current T5 UVB fluorescent tech will soon be replaced by LEDs). If your local pet store has T8s, they could be years/decades old. Between the intensity (5.0 vs. 10.0), older tech, type of reflector and a few other variables, they're not worth it IMO.

IMO, a T5HO in a Shenzen fixture is the way to go. IME (I have both) Reptisun 5.0 and Arcadia 6% are equivalent—both rated & warrantied for 1 yr. (T8s will lose potency in about half the time of a T5).

I also strongly urge investing* in a UVI meter—either Solarmeter 6.5x or DIY version. Without one, you can't tell for sure whether that new bulb you just bought is even good. I got a bad bulb once (brand new from local pet shop) that lit just as brightly as a good one, but it was putting out NO UVB WHATSOEVER. If I hadn't had the meter, my young (at the time) beardie would likely have gotten MBD.

* IMO it is an investment, because it will pay for itself—and then some—over time. I have a Reptisun bulb that's still going strong after 2 years. Without the meter, I'd have replaced that bulb twice already, so I've saved the cost of 2 bulbs so far. The more diurnal reptiles one keeps, the more & faster the payback will be.

So do you think its better to buy a T5 10.0 but make sure its the Proper distance and UVB level with a solar meter?
I think that depends on your setup. Some here do use T5 10.0 or 12%, but they're generally more experienced keepers and/or have a good reason—distance from bulb to branch will be greater than that with a 5.0 or 6%.

For most keepers here, 5.0/6% in a Shenzen fixture above a window screen enclosure top at around 8"-10" is typical.

IMO, there's no advantage to going with the more powerful bulb unless circumstances warrant it.
I started with an Arcadia 6% (because at the time it was the best deal I could find), and when it needs replacing, I'll get another 6% or 5.0—again—whichever is less expensive or on sale at the time.

I would go with a T5 with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% with basking area 8-9” below. This will give the optimal UV index of around 3.0 with a good gradient for your chameleon to get adequate uvb levels. Most of us order our lights on line. However, I think it is PetSmart that is now carrying Arcadia T5 lights. They are priced a bit higher, but with shipping costs it probably works out the same.

I think that depends on your setup. Some here do use T5 10.0 or 12%, but they're generally more experienced keepers and/or have a good reason—distance from bulb to branch will be greater than that with a 5.0 or 6%.

For most keepers here, 5.0/6% in a Shenzen fixture above a window screen enclosure top at around 8"-10" is typical.

IMO, there's no advantage to going with the more powerful bulb unless circumstances warrant it.
I started with an Arcadia 6% (because at the time it was the best deal I could find), and when it needs replacing, I'll get another 6% or 5.0—again—whichever is less expensive or on sale at the time.
I would go with a T5 with either a ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% with basking area 8-9” below. This will give the optimal UV index of around 3.0 with a good gradient for your chameleon to get adequate uvb levels. Most of us order our lights on line. However, I think it is PetSmart that is now carrying Arcadia T5 lights. They are priced a bit higher, but with shipping costs it probably works out the same.
Thanks for the Advice

T8 with a 10.0 is not equivalent to a T5 with a 5.0 bulb...

With a T8 they do not push the UVB far enough down into the cage. If you do not have these set up exactly right at the correct distance then the cham could develop MBD. With this bulb in a single bulb fixture you literally need the branch to be about 5-6 inches below the screen with the fixture placed on the screen. This puts the cham rather close to the top screen though which means you have to raise the basking fixture up off the cage quite a bit. Note having a Veiled in a cage this close to the screen can present major issues if their casque can rub on the screen top.

The good thing about a T5HO with a 5.0 bulb is that your distance from screen where the fixture sits to the branch is farther away at 8-9 inches. This gives more room at the top and keeps the cham farther away from the screen.

I would not use a 10.0 bulb in a T5HO because you then have to increase your distance to 11-12 inches away. Which unless your raising the fixture to accommodate this it is a waste of space in the cage.

Since my local reptile shop sells only T8 10.0 and T5 10.0 which do you think would be better to get?
You can buy a lower strength bulb to go in the T5HO fixture. Or if on a budget get the T5HO fixture with the 10.0 bulb and then you want a total distance of 11-12 inches between the bottom of the fixture and the basking branch. This may mean having to raise the fixture up off the top of the screen top to get the correct distance.

Can you show me a pic of your cage and how it is set up?

Im soon to replace the fake leaves with real pothos
So your enclosure is a little on the small side. This will be an issue for an adult male Veiled. I would honestly upgrade the cage size to a 2x2x4ft minimum and go with the T5HO fixture and the 5.0 bulb. BUT if money is an issue and you can not upgrade the cage size then a T8 with a 10.0 Could be used on your cage because the branches sit so high. But still you would want the closest branch 5-6 inches below where the fixture sits. Right now he can get all the way up under that bulb which is going to put him into UVB levels that are much too high. What is the linear fixture your using now?

So your enclosure is a little on the small side. This will be an issue for an adult male Veiled. I would honestly upgrade the cage size to a 2x2x4ft minimum and go with the T5HO fixture and the 5.0 bulb. BUT if money is an issue and you can not upgrade the cage size then a T8 with a 10.0 Could be used on your cage because the branches sit so high. But still you would want the closest branch 5-6 inches below where the fixture sits. Right now he can get all the way up under that bulb which is going to put him into UVB levels that are much too high. What is the linear fixture your using now?
So should i make it so the branches reach 5-6 inches below the uvb light?

I orignally bought a T8 5.0
So this is what is on the cage now?
So should i make it so the branches reach 5-6 inches below the uvb light?
Then you need to just buy the new bulb. If you already have a T8 You do not need a new fixture. With this smaller cage putting a T5HO on it is going to mean having to raise the fixture. Otherwise you will loose way too much space at the top of the cage. So with a T8 and the 10.0 bulb. You want the branches to be 5-6 inches below the screen where the T8 sits on top of the screen. This will put the cham's back in the UVI level that it needs.

Back
Top Bottom