Use of fluon for insect barrier?

Syn

Avid Member
Would it be possible to use fluon for application in insect tubs? Basically, it seems to be teflon paint.

It is often called Insect-a-slip, or similar. Some ant keepers use it but notice there is a small percentage of die-off in colonies... however, if it proves useful in keeping insects in their containers without having to re-apply the solution, it could be worth looking into.

Note:

I did a quick search before hitting submit to see what I could find on fluon. These are the results:

Fluon aka Insect-a-Slip. Not the same as bug stop or bug barricade. teflon based dry t the touch one it dries unaffected by heat or humidity. Designed for use by entomologists to use on their funnel traps to keep the bugs from getting out.

Digby Rigby

Do any of you use teflon paint on your roach tubs? I use one called Fluon ADI,
its great stuff, you need use so little a single bottle last about a year.
It dries white/opague. you paint it around the inner rim ofthe tub a few inches wide.
You can do the same on the outside too (stops those annoying tiny black ants getting in).

Its pretty much the stuff they use in the coating of non-stick kitchen pans, for verticle surfaces. Its very slippery and the roaches cant climb it. Much cleaner and neater than PJ or similar and quite cheap given a bottle might last a year. (you only need repaint when it becomes scuffed.

Ive been using it for years!

http://www.entosupplies.com.au/index.phtml?path=1_3_7_169

I've seen them fly before, too funny !

Pedro, keep them in a "click clack" container (don't know what you guys in the USA call them), you know the plastic storage containers with the lid that has the handles you click over the lid to lock it on.
Cut out the internal part of the lid and glue some fly screen mesh over the cut-out (for ventilation).
Paint teflon OR fluon paint around the sides of the container (about 1/2 way up the sides) to stop them from climbing up the sides, then add some egg crates or paper towel rolls so they can hide and there you have an escape proof roach house!
Hope this helps!
Cheers
Scott.

Sounds like good stuff, especially now that I've started up roach colonies again. Curious to see if anyone has any negative points about it.

Sounds like good stuff, especially now that I've started up roach colonies again. Curious to see if anyone has any negative points about it.

The only negative thing I've read about it is that it seems to cause die-offs in cricket colonies... that or it's just bad timing.

I currently use that, but I am trying to get away from things that need reapplication.
I suppose that will work if fluon isn't safe and I can't find an alternative.

if you keep your roach tubs in the garage, be aware of rats... darn critters chewed a hole in mine and ate all my roaches... found three fat rats in the container next morning.. they could hardly move..

if you keep your roach tubs in the garage, be aware of rats... darn critters chewed a hole in mine and ate all my roaches... found three fat rats in the container next morning.. they could hardly move..
Don't have a garage, and I would never keep them outside in AZ. :p

Back
Top Bottom