URGENT-We Need to Help!

draetish

Avid Member
This was on the news this morning, what can we do? There is suppose to be a reptile expo this weekend in Arlington, I wonder if these animals were to be a part of it. I'm contacting the SPCA this morning to see how we can help. Anyone interested or has any experience with this, please let me know.

Thousands of exotic animals found overcrowded, underfed in Arlington
by JASON WHITELY / WFAA-TV

Posted on December 16, 2009 at 12:01 AM

Updated today at 5:57 AM

Related:
Thousands of exotic animals seized in Arlington

ARLINGTON - The SPCA of Texas, city of Arlington and the Humane Society of North Texas will work through midnight Wednesday gathering animals in what's believed to be the largest exotic animal seizure in the country.

As of 9 p.m. Tuesday, investigators have collected 22,000 exotic animals like lizards, snakes, chinchillas and turtles from U.S. Global Exotics. In the end, rescuers estimate they will seize 25,000 to 30,000 animals, said James Bias, president of the SPCA of Texas.

The animals were underfed and overcrowded. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of carcasses were found, too.

Bias said he has already reached out to zoos across the country to see if any would be interested in acquiring the animals providing a judge grants permanent custody to the SPCA of Texas or other rescue groups.

Arlington wouldn't reveal what led investigators to the location in a business park off Highway 360 near Avenue J. They served a civil warrant for cruelty to animals on the owners at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday.

U.S. Global Exotics buys and sells exotic animals around the world.

Only six to eight workers are employed to take care of the thousands of animals, said Chris Castoe, who identified himself as an employee who has been working at the business over the last eight months.

Rescuers said some even cannibalized each other.

Neighboring business said some animals, including snakes, escaped and slithered next door over the three years the facility was open.

Hundreds of dead turtles were found, along with 200 to 400 dead iguanas that were boxed up but never shipped, Bias said.

Friday afternoon at 2 p.m., the city will ask a judge to give permanent custody of the animals to the SPCA and the Humane Society.

The city has up to two years to decide if it wants to prosecute the owners criminally.

E-mail [email protected]

turtles, iguanas, lizards, snakes and chinchillas. I've left messages with Arlington Animal Control and SPCA that I would volunteer and I have contacted my pet store in Corpus Christi, Tx where the owner there is a very experienced reptile keeper and knows breeders. Hopefully I can do "something" to help. Anyone else in Texas that would like to help, please pm me.
Thanks,
Donna

I cant believe this thats terrible they better prosecute them criminally or me and spike are gonna have to hunt them down

I feel terrible for all the animals they found dead still in the boxes they were shipped in. What a horrible way for them to die :(

Just to let everyone know, I did not hear back from anyone from SPCA or Animal Control. I found the address of the location and plan on going by there tomorrow to see if there is anything anyone can do. I'm sure they are overwhelmed. I'm having doubts that I will get anywhere with all the "red tape" involved with state/county agencies, but I'm going to try.

If you hear anything back do let me know. Im off work all during the week and would love to help out in anyway possible.

Yes, I would appreciate if you could keep all of us up to speed. Even though there are those of us not in that area, it's possible we can still help out or even take some of the animals. Just let us know.

There are so many times when I am utterly ashamed at humanity. :mad:

I was too late

I just got back from the location they seized the animals from and attached are the pics. There is nobody there and it's all locked up. Here is an email I did receive back today:

Hello,

Arlington Animal Services appreciates your offer but we already have all of the staff and experts we need right now.

Travis Hill
Community Services Agent
Arlington Animal Services
817-459-5898

I guess all we can do is try our best. I appreciate everyone's offers to help and we can only hope that the ones that were still alive will be taken care of. I hope they hang that SOB Jasen Shaw, here is the info I pulled off the tax roll if anyone is interested in sending him their thoughts.

Owner Information: Shaw, Jasen & Vanessa K
504 Edinburgh Ln
Coppell Tx 75019-2433

Here is the latest report from today

by DEBBIE DENMON / WFAA-TV

Posted on December 16, 2009 at 7:01 PM

A PETA member working undercover for months led the march that ended with a raid on a North Texas exotic animal wholesaler.

Rescuers seized at least 20,000 animals from U.S. Global Exotics.

An affidavit revealed US Fish and Wildlife Department seized documents and computers six days before Tuesday's raid.

News 8 talked with a friend of the owners who said she cannot believe they are in the news, once again.

"I don't believe that they intentionally harmed these animals and let them go like they did," the friend said.

The PETA member claims he saw countless cruel acts, including the death of 67 reptiles that died from illnesses, cruel confinement and a lack of food. Ten pythons allegedly died, crushed under the weight of other snakes. The report also indicated hamsters were cannibalized, eaten by others because of a lack of food

While the friend didn't want her identify to be revealed, she said Jasen Shaw, the owner of the business, has been investigated before.

News 8 had previously interviewed him about the prairie dogs he exported. The animals were examined by federal investigators for possibly spreading the Monkeypox virus, causing several people to get painful blisters back in 2003. Shaw denied his animals were the culprit.

"Everything is healthy and the animals have been fine," he said in the 2003 report.

Shaw has not returned News 8 phone calls to respond to the new allegations over the sick animals, which the SPCA and Humane Society rescued.

There were only up to eight workers caring for the thousands of animals. The friend the said the owners had a problem keeping workers.

"They just couldn't keep a good staff, for whatever reason," she said.

One worker said he took on enough work for three people and admitted to extreme understaffing and no expertise with exotic animals.

"I try not to judge them, but I can't believe that this got out of hand," the friend said. "It is a catastrophe. It is horrible."

Attachments

• P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 120
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 131
  • P1010008.JPG
    P1010008.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 155
  • P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 104
I hope they disclose what stores have been getting animals from this company.
I'm sure there will be a whole lot of pet-store boycotting.

Back
Top Bottom