URGENT help needed: sick veil!

ramsayi

Hi guys, im a 'silent' member of the forum and now i need you guys urgently. our young male (yearling) Veil is very lethargic. he was perfect yesterday, eating etc but today he was found laying on the bottem of his enclosure slightly on his side very lethargic and light in color. he has always been a guts and eats well on crickets but hates veg so most insects are dusted with calcium. he is misted several times a day and usually laps up some water.
i originally thought dehydration but i have since noticed his throat is very puffy... im mainly a keeper of various pythons and basically this would suggest RI however his temps are at about 33 on the bask site and he has a very good temp range and can easily get to about 25 if he wants.
seriously any help or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Ramsayi, I always hate when people say this but...

it's probably time to see a good reptile vet.
We all mean well and most people can help you by pointing out things you should change regarding diet or equipment, but you already must know that chams are experts at hiding problems, so delaying veterinary help can often result in the loss of your cham.
It might be gular edema, which can be be caused by oversupplementing and by undersupplementing, especially vitamin D3 or A.
You only mentioned dusting with calcium. There are many calcium supplements on the market. Some of them are unsuitable, as they contain phosphorus, which should definitely not be used--others contain D3 which is needed, but shouldn't be used every day.
Pictures are helpful, too.
Rather than everyone asking you a bunch of questions, one by one, the best thing is if you answer the "How to ask for help" questions:
Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

A chameleon laying on the floor of the cage usually needs immediate attention...its almost always bad news. I would get it to the vet ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom