!Urgent! Healthy Female chameleon need to breed

We’ve had this female panther chameleon for a while, most definitely into its adult stage and I’m worried I won’t be able to breed her before her short life span is over. we initially bought her thinking it was a male, the pet store was wrong. We’ve grown attached to her and this just stinks. This chameleon is near family so I’m not interested in shipping her out, doesn’t seem ethical.. I live in the Quad cities in Illinois I would LOVE to breed her and will give 75% of her eggs to the males owner. She’s large for a female (11-14 inches), she will lay a large amount. We knows she’s a female as she has no spurs on her hind legs, she’s too small to be male, and she’s got no bump. Can anyone PLEASE help me?

Attachments

• AEEC09C0-CD82-4088-A26C-298B77BB1AB1.jpeg
    AEEC09C0-CD82-4088-A26C-298B77BB1AB1.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 110
Why are you so urgent to breed her? Panther's don't have spurs.
Upon purchasing this chameleon we thought it was a male with the doubled life span.. finding out it’s a female sucks and I just don’t want her to die before she’s got a chance to have baby chams. Nothing wrong with her as of now I just don’t know how long time will be in my favor with her.

We got her about 7 months ago the person at petco said “he” was a year old so if the information about the age is correct she should only have about 5 months left if I’m not horribly wrong.

You are very wrong. Please fill this out here:

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? 1 year 7 months old 7 months in my care.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Probably every other day for about 10-30 mins
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? 4-5 crickets every other day.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Doesn’t say, came with the chams cage kit.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? A water drip, we’ve noticed it may not be fast enough though as Apollo goes to the water bowl most of the time to drink now. We make sure the water is clean.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? 75% brown and like 25% white
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen and 4 foot y’all 2 foot wide
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Uvb and the repti light that came with its cage. It all came in a pack
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Lowest temp is about 70 degrees we keep our house at that temp, we have air circulating in my room though I don’t know if this would effect it.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? We don’t actually have a humidity meter, wasn’t sure one was needed. We’ve just been misting with a water bottle like twice a day.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Hybiscus plants
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is elevated 1-2 foot by a tackle box I have it on, they’re both 2 foot wide so it fits perfect on top.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Quad cities Illinois America.

Attachments

• 8185EBAA-9128-4F52-B5C5-FC70E53DA90B.jpeg
    8185EBAA-9128-4F52-B5C5-FC70E53DA90B.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 108
  • FCF2A52D-1D71-43D1-A261-014C74BF3B47.jpeg
    FCF2A52D-1D71-43D1-A261-014C74BF3B47.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 360B35BA-C2EC-4A42-A20D-1099E542AD98.jpeg
    360B35BA-C2EC-4A42-A20D-1099E542AD98.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 4C924636-B378-478E-BCB6-E14A5957FE12.jpeg
    4C924636-B378-478E-BCB6-E14A5957FE12.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 135
Since you're getting it from petco and it's a female, it's likely you'll never be sure what locale she is. It's generally recommended against breeding chameleons together when you don't know their lineage. Breeding a female also has a chance of lowering her life span... so there's that too. Just my two cents

Have you researched this animal animal on your own? You didn't know that humidity is important? Female panthers can easily live to 4 or 5 years, sometimes longer. She is by no means close to her grave if she is being cared for properly. Petco employees usually have no idea what a chameleon's needs are and will not tell you reliable information at all. Please, please give this care sheet a read (https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/). If you are basing her care on what a petco employee told you, that is potentially very worrisome!

4-5 crickets every other day is not a lot. Maybe up her food a little bit. Also a variety of food is good for them as well, there are many sites/sponsors on here that sell many different kinds of healthy feeders. Also from the pictures it looks like she may be receptive. I would get a laying bin if you don't have one already. She will lay eggs no matter if she is bred or not.

• Feeding - 4-5 crickets every other day.....it's important to feed/gutload them well....you can use dandelion greens, kale, endive, escarole, collards, carrots, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, and a BIT of apple, pear melon, berries. Variety is important too...you can feed her superworms, silkworms, black soldier fly larva, hornworms, roaches, locusts, etc too.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Doesn’t say, came with the chams cage kit. Supplements are important...it's recommended that you dust at almost every feeding with a phosphorus-free calcium powder and twice a month with a phosphorus-free calcium/D3 powder and twice a month with a vitamin powder.
  • Watering - A water drip, we’ve noticed it may not be fast enough though as Apollo goes to the water bowl most of the time to drink now. We make sure the water is clean. I would be misting too...and the bowl definitely is not the best option. I would increase the length of the misting times if they are under 5 minutes....and run the dripper for several hours each day so it drips at the rate of one or two drips per second.
  • Fecal Description - 75% brown and like 25% white
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen and 4 foot y’all 2 foot wide
  • Lighting - Uvb and the repti light that came with its cage. It all came in a pack is the basking light giving off white light? Are the lights off at night? Is the UVB a spiral?
  • Temperature -Lowest temp is about 70 degrees we keep our house at that temp, we have air circulating in my room though I don’t know if this would effect it. What's the basking temperature? Basking allows the chameleon to digest it's food properly and that plays a part in nutrient absorption and appetite!
  • Humidity - We’ve just been misting with a water bottle like twice a day. I see you are misting too...just have the info in the wrong section.
  • Plants - Hybiscus plants
  • Placement - The cage is elevated 1-2 foot by a tackle box I have it on, they’re both 2 foot wide so it fits perfect on top....so not near a window or outside door or vent or fan?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Quad cities Illinois America.
As has been said... your chameleon is not old yet!
Does she have an egglaying container IN her cage? She should in case she needs to lay eggs. It can lead to eggbinding if she has no place to lay them. I recommend an opaque container at least 12" deep x 12 " x 8" filled with washed playsand that is just moist enough to hold a tunnel. I use a sand produced by Kings that comes in a white bag with red, blue, yellow sand toys on the front of it.
Please do more research on the breeding process, hatchlings and egg incubation before you take on any of it!
Good luck!

• Feeding - 4-5 crickets every other day.....it's important to feed/gutload them well....you can use dandelion greens, kale, endive, escarole, collards, carrots, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, and a BIT of apple, pear melon, berries. Variety is important too...you can feed her superworms, silkworms, black soldier fly larva, hornworms, roaches, locusts, etc too.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Doesn’t say, came with the chams cage kit. Supplements are important...it's recommended that you dust at almost every feeding with a phosphorus-free calcium powder and twice a month with a phosphorus-free calcium/D3 powder and twice a month with a vitamin powder.
  • Watering - A water drip, we’ve noticed it may not be fast enough though as Apollo goes to the water bowl most of the time to drink now. We make sure the water is clean. I would be misting too...and the bowl definitely is not the best option. I would increase the length of the misting times if they are under 5 minutes....and run the dripper for several hours each day so it drips at the rate of one or two drips per second.
  • Fecal Description - 75% brown and like 25% white
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen and 4 foot y’all 2 foot wide
  • Lighting - Uvb and the repti light that came with its cage. It all came in a pack is the basking light giving off white light? Are the lights off at night? Is the UVB a spiral?
  • Temperature -Lowest temp is about 70 degrees we keep our house at that temp, we have air circulating in my room though I don’t know if this would effect it. What's the basking temperature? Basking allows the chameleon to digest it's food properly and that plays a part in nutrient absorption and appetite!
  • Humidity - We’ve just been misting with a water bottle like twice a day. I see you are misting too...just have the info in the wrong section.
  • Plants - Hybiscus plants
  • Placement - The cage is elevated 1-2 foot by a tackle box I have it on, they’re both 2 foot wide so it fits perfect on top....so not near a window or outside door or vent or fan?
As has been said... your chameleon is not old yet!
Does she have an egglaying container IN her cage? She should in case she needs to lay eggs. It can lead to eggbinding if she has no place to lay them. I recommend an opaque container at least 12" deep x 12 " x 8" filled with washed playsand that is just moist enough to hold a tunnel. I use a sand produced by Kings that comes in a white bag with red, blue, yellow sand toys on the front of it.
Please do more research on the breeding process, hatchlings and egg incubation before you take on any of it!
Good luck!
I’ve ready everyone’s comments all have been helpful but yours is insanely helpful. I didn’t even think about the window her cage is right by one, her cage is also by a fan but not In direct air blow it would only feel the air circulating but I’m going to move her cage because of the window. Her basking temps go about 83-5 degrees maybe too high? When I notice her in her cage opening her mouth that’s usually when I take her out because they say it’s from heat like a dog panting. As all of you I’m just a loving cham owner and I just want to make sure my lil girl gon be alright or something to remember her by. My ignorance doesn’t mean I don’t love her, just that petco employees like to talk for the most part. I’ll start feeding it more of the suggested foods. You ALL have been extremely informative, I’m extremely happy to hear female chams can live up to 5 years. How could I go about feeding my chameleon other foods? We’ve tried Blue Berry’s, banana, hibiscus flowers and even Romain lettuce but she doesn’t ever eat it. We put a branch off of our mul berry bushes (we cleaned it very well before putting it in her cage don’t worry) she would eat the leaves off of the branches. Now there’s no leaves left but it’s winter. The lights are off at night, and yes there’s white light given off, and I don’t believe the colored light is a spiral. I’m not home to check as of now. Had some hospital stuff go down with my mother it’s my first chance to check my phone while waiting in this waiting room. We had a tree fall and there was some grubs, tree grubs killed our apple tree. We gathered like 4 tree grubs that had been eating apple wood and Apollo LOVED them, Would run to the bottom of her cage to eat them. I’ve heard though not to feed her things that you are unsure of what’s been eaten. I’ve got To go I’ll check this thread when I can

You said..." I’m going to move her cage because of the window. Her basking temps go about 83-5 degrees maybe too high? When I notice her in her cage opening her mouth that’s usually when I take her out because they say it’s from heat like a dog panting"...your basking temperature is fine. It's a good idea for the cage to be away from the window considering where you live IMHO.

You said..." How could I go about feeding my chameleon other foods? We’ve tried Blue Berry’s, banana, hibiscus flowers and even Romain lettuce but she doesn’t ever eat it" Panthers don't usually eat greens or fruit or veggies. They do chew branches sometimes though so it's important that they are not toxic.

You said..."The lights are off at night, and yes there’s white light given off, and I don’t believe the colored light is a spiral"...do you mean UVB? Sorry about your mother.

Thanks for the comments!

Panther don't eat plants or fruits. For other feeders, you could try silkworms (really good for them), butterworms, waxworks (more of a treat because their fatty), BSF larva, there are lots more to try than just those but you can easily find those at mulberry farms or costal silkworms. Some members even breed and sell feeders on here. I'm sure your cham will love them! As of breeding, I agree babies can be difficult to raise, definitely do your research before breeding. :)

You’re all so helpful it’s amazing. I’m gonna start feeding 3 crickets and 3 wax worms/silkworms/other larvae. I don’t mean 9 worms but a variety for each day.3 crickets and 3 works a day, is this too much? And it’s okay about my mother she’s got lupis it’s quite common . I’m about to take the lid off my pet taxi and fill it with the suggested sand and leave it in her cage. You guys are all awesome the heart you guys have.

Back
Top Bottom