urg plants

niki

I want to have lots of live plants in Irwans encolsure but everytime I get one it dies. I just bought an Ivy 2 weeks ago (and it was huge) and it is now dead. I also had a small pothos in there and that is dead too. The only thing I kept alive is a hibiscus (and it is very tiny, not even noticible). Now the cage is empty, other than some vines and fake plants. I have one 5.0 and one 2.0 and 100 watt basking bulb. The cage stays at about 60-80% humidity and the heat is at about 80 all around the cage with a basking of about 90. what can I do to keep these plants alive? Oh by the way I do water them:) before anyone makes fun of me lol. I have a 100 gallon flexarium that I keep Irwan in. Help please. My enclosure looks awful and Irwan hates it.

Jeez,i dont know why he would hate it,the humidity seems good and so does the temp,i my self dont have any live plants:(, Ive been tryin to get some,i got some last fall,since it was fall there was none of the plants on the chameleon plant list at the garden. Ill hopefully get some soon.

i'm no plant expert but maybe because you're using a flexarium, assuming it's those ones with thick black mesh, maybe the light isn't penetrating deep enuff for the plants to survive?? possibly over watering them?

I only have one pothos and a schefflera(arboricola) in mine and the only things I have done to them since puchase was change the soil and add rocks at the bottom of the pots for drainage, they're still in the original plastic pots they came in, and I pretty much never 'directly' water them, as they get soaked pretty good from every misting, and they've grown like crazy. My cage is right near a window that lets in lots of sunlight between 6am and 9am so i'm guessing that helps too.

I have 2 Reptariums and have no problems keeping the plants alive. I have pothos in both, one has Schefflera and the other has a Ficus. The easiest way to kill them is to overwater, or not let the water drain resulting in root rot. While I was on vacation my daughter overwatered a huge Hibiscus and a huge Shefflera that I let the chams run around on on the screen porch, but they are toast!

I have 5 reptatium and each have a pothos and a ficus benjamin...all of the thrive like weeds expecially pothos. I have to trim them every 3 months to make it laee bushy. Maybe you didn't water the plants??? since you will have light fixture (heat lamp and UVA/UVB) on it... those are the thing for plants... now you will need to water them!!! Pothos can stand extremely high water volume..... so high that u can plant pothos solely in water.

Yep-Pothos are hard to kill--I give you that! If you plant those things here in Florida they will grow into massive tree climbing vines! Even if you just toss a leaf-they will grow like crazy! In fact-when we repainted the house it took us forever to chip the roots out of the concrete block!

You killed a pothos!? You must be pure evil;)

Seems like pothos plants are unstoppable. very strange.

Recently I forgot about an unrooted, recently cut 3 foot vine of pothos in a dry box with no light for at least a week and a half. ONE leaf had started turning brown when I found it.

For chameleons kept indoors I highly recommend the Schefflera arboricola as well. They seem to be much hardier and less prone to overwatering death than ficus plus support the weight of chameleons moving around well.

Are the pots those type that are used for hanging? Some of them don't have drainage holes in the bottom...dump, but true. Your plants might be getting waterlogged.

Thanks. My Pathos is one of those hanging ones, and was definitely on it's way to being waterlogged......

When you pick up a pot to clean under it, if water runs out, it may not be draining like it should. The nursery pots just have a hole in the bottom. Sitting on the floor, it might hold water. Try setting it on a few rocks to help it drain or poke some holes in the side of the pot near the bottom. My mother always said plants don't like wet feet.

Back
Top Bottom