Upgrade Suggestions for Jackon's Chameleon

Connorology

Avid Member
Good evening all,

So I am looking to upgrade my chameleon's cage in the near future. Currently I'm using a slightly modified bird-cage (2' by 2' by 3').

https://www.chameleonforums.com/med...secure-feel-for-the-chameleon-and-also.27745/

This has worked fairly well to date, but since the screen is more porus than a conventional reptile cage I have to cup feed. I also get occasional feeder escapes (which I would really like to prevent). I am looking for a setup that allows me to dump feeders into the cage so my chameleon can hunt and I don't have to worry about escapees.

What I may do is pop all the panels out of my existing cage and either replace them with a finer screen or layer a finer screen over the existing bars (so that I can still hook cage furniture to the sides). Alternatively, I could just buy or build a new cage.

I'm not a huge fan of the boxy screen cages, I'd rather buy or make something that looks a little nicer. Has anyone used the exo-terra terrariums for Jackson's? I read Chris Anderson's article about using glass terrariums for montane species (http://www.chameleonnews.com/10JulAndersonGlass.html) and I'm intrigued by the reduced need for misting. I'm considering buying one of the giant exo-terras (http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/natural_terrarium_large.php).

I'm open to alternative suggestions though. I'm also a bit hesitant to go glass just because it's different and there are always kinks to work through when trying new things.

TL : DR- If I replace my cage, what new cage should I get? I'd prefer to spend $300 or less.

Thanks

Has anyone used the exo-terra terrariums for Jackson's?

I prefer Exo Terra glass enclosures for all of my Montane species as well, excluding my Melleri....because they simply do not make them large enough. I just personally think it is much easier to maintain the proper levels of humidity and temperature inside a glass enclosure like an Exo Terra or Protean. Now, Protean does make enclosures large enough for my Melleri....but I just haven't found one for sale in my parts. My local reptile store has one in their show room and it is incredible.

So my recommendation would be to go for an Exo Terra. I personally think they are great enclosure and have done well for all my montane chameleons....including my Jacksoni xantholophus! Here is a picture of my X-large Exo Terra I use for my Kinyongia multituberculata!

IMAG0704_1.jpg

Great, thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm leaning towards the exo-terra, if I can find a vendor that sells the appropriate size. How much does the extra large exo-terra weigh (ballpark)? According to their site, Prothean's product of a similar size weighs 140 pounds (roughly as much as I do).

That's not necessarily a deal breaker, but I'm wondering how I'm going to get it into my house, and if it needs to be on a stand with wheels once I have it inside.

Great, thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm leaning towards the exo-terra, if I can find a vendor that sells the appropriate size. How much does the extra large exo-terra weigh (ballpark)? According to their site, Prothean's product of a similar size weighs 140 pounds (roughly as much as I do).

That's not necessarily a deal breaker, but I'm wondering how I'm going to get it into my house, and if it needs to be on a stand with wheels once I have it inside.

The Proteans are beastly products. They definitely have more weight to them than the Exo-Terras do. I have the largest Exo Terra available and I can lift and move it about as I need very easily......empty of course, Lol.

Have you had an problems with the exo terra enclosures with the chameleons breathing etc? or the reflections . I am looking to build a vivarium style enclosure with live plants but was hesitant due to the fact that ppl usually say how bad it is for chameleons inside glass tanks

Have you had an problems with the exo terra enclosures with the chameleons breathing etc? or the reflections . I am looking to build a vivarium style enclosure with live plants but was hesitant due to the fact that ppl usually say how bad it is for chameleons inside glass tanks

Personally, I have never had problems with either of those two issues. I don't recommend keeping some species in a glass enclosure, but for I do recommend them for montane species.

Yea I have all jackson's chameleons, are your exo terra set ups vivariums with live plants etc? Do you have more pictures of your exo terra enclosures I would love to see them esp the ones for your jacksons and quad chams.

Make sure you read the Chris Anderson article about the glass cages if you haven't already (link in first post). Glass isn't inherently bad, but you do need to have sufficient ventilation to ensure air circulation.

For me, I have such a dry house that keeping humidity up is a pain. I spray twice a day, use a dripper, and have a humidifier on a timer and the cage is still always on the low end of the recommended range. I think a switch to glass would make it easier to keep my chameleon well hydrated.

Back
Top Bottom