Update On Viserion, Our Rescue Following A Tragedy

Rogue

Avid Member
It's been awhile since I posted. Some of you may remember our story.

In August of 2017, my husband and I purchased our very first chameleon (a juvenile male Ambilobe) from an amazing breeder. We spent months of reading, preparing, building a custom cage with lineal uva/uvb bulbs, everything before he arrived. We were so excited for Mr. Proteus's arrival!

After months of preparation, we thought we were ready. Proteus arrived and he was so much more beautiful than his pictures. We loved him so much! Immediately we took him home and put him in his new home to get accustomed and settled. That evening, we saw he was sleeping from the top of his viv. We covered him and we went to bed.

The next morning, I was abruptly woken by my husband whom was holding a very dark Proteus with blood on him and barely breathing. Our rescued kitten had climbed the cage, cut thru the screen where Proteus was sleeping, and had pulled him out to "play" with him. Proteus had a clear bite in his back and skin was hanging and he had some cat fur in his mouth. I was in shock and absolutely devastated. My husband found a vet hospital 45 minutes away and rushed him to their office. The guilt was so unbearable.

Proteus received immediate surgery from the best local exotic veterinarian in the city within an hour. He had a punctured lung and he received antibiotics for fear of infection. The vet and his clinic had done everything they could. We picked him up that evening and placed him in a special hospital bin. Even with the high hopes and prayers, Proteus passed the next morning.

The guilt and shock was devastating. I couldn't sleep, eat, or function. We reached out to the breeder to tell him what happened and send our apologies. I was distraught that I underestimated our kitten, simply because he showed no interest in Proteus when we were around. It was a fatal mistake that I couldn't take back.

The following weekend, a well known reptile expo was in town and my husband convinced me to go. I didn't have it in me at the beginning, but staring at an empty cage was awful. We went to the expo on its final day in town and the only chameleons left were some Jackson's and 1 male Nosey Be, both types from different vendors. Since our setup was created for a Panther, I decided to hold him. He was very small considering the "breeder" claimed he was 10 months old and had been cared for since he was hatched. I felt that I needed to take him home.

The first week (after making serious adjustments and fixes to his cage) we had already scheduled a vet appointment with the same vet that operated on Proteus. We noticed that Viserion was very thirsty, his first urate was yellow, and his back right ankle began to swell. His initial appointment showed he was malnourished, underweight, and at the onset of Gout
1f641.png
. We were told that he would need a special diet for the rest of his life and his care would be expensive. The only good news was his kidneys were not affected yet and his fecal was normal. He also took 2 months to completely shed that had started when we first brought him home.

Today with the help of the best veterinarian we could ask for and wonderful friends we have made thru this experience, especially @Matt Vanilla Gorilla and @Kristen Wilkins, Viserion is finally healthy and doing wonderful. Below is a picture of him when finishing a recent shed . Had it not been for the tragic death of Proteus, Viserion would not be alive today. If you read the whole story, I hope this helps someone else learn from our mistake. We love this little man!
2764.png

Screenshot_2018-02-27-16-54-39-1.png

It's been awhile since I posted. Some of you may remember our story.

In August of 2017, my husband and I purchased our very first chameleon (a juvenile male Ambilobe) from an amazing breeder. We spent months of reading, preparing, building a custom cage with lineal uva/uvb bulbs, everything before he arrived. We were so excited for Mr. Proteus's arrival!

After months of preparation, we thought we were ready. Proteus arrived and he was so much more beautiful than his pictures. We loved him so much! Immediately we took him home and put him in his new home to get accustomed and settled. That evening, we saw he was sleeping from the top of his viv. We covered him and we went to bed.

The next morning, I was abruptly woken by my husband whom was holding a very dark Proteus with blood on him and barely breathing. Our rescued kitten had climbed the cage, cut thru the screen where Proteus was sleeping, and had pulled him out to "play" with him. Proteus had a clear bite in his back and skin was hanging and he had some cat fur in his mouth. I was in shock and absolutely devastated. My husband found a vet hospital 45 minutes away and rushed him to their office. The guilt was so unbearable.

Proteus received immediate surgery from the best local exotic veterinarian in the city within an hour. He had a punctured lung and he received antibiotics for fear of infection. The vet and his clinic had done everything they could. We picked him up that evening and placed him in a special hospital bin. Even with the high hopes and prayers, Proteus passed the next morning.

The guilt and shock was devastating. I couldn't sleep, eat, or function. We reached out to the breeder to tell him what happened and send our apologies. I was distraught that I underestimated our kitten, simply because he showed no interest in Proteus when we were around. It was a fatal mistake that I couldn't take back.

The following weekend, a well known reptile expo was in town and my husband convinced me to go. I didn't have it in me at the beginning, but staring at an empty cage was awful. We went to the expo on its final day in town and the only chameleons left were some Jackson's and 1 male Nosey Be, both types from different vendors. Since our setup was created for a Panther, I decided to hold him. He was very small considering the "breeder" claimed he was 10 months old and had been cared for since he was hatched. I felt that I needed to take him home.

The first week (after making serious adjustments and fixes to his cage) we had already scheduled a vet appointment with the same vet that operated on Proteus. We noticed that Viserion was very thirsty, his first urate was yellow, and his back right ankle began to swell. His initial appointment showed he was malnourished, underweight, and at the onset of Gout
1f641.png
. We were told that he would need a special diet for the rest of his life and his care would be expensive. The only good news was his kidneys were not affected yet and his fecal was normal. He also took 2 months to completely shed that had started when we first brought him home.

Today with the help of the best veterinarian we could ask for and wonderful friends we have made thru this experience, especially @Matt Vanilla Gorilla and @Kristen Wilkins, Viserion is finally healthy and doing wonderful. Below is a picture of him when finishing a recent shed . Had it not been for the tragic death of Proteus, Viserion would not be alive today. If you read the whole story, I hope this helps someone else learn from our mistake. We love this little man!
2764.png

View attachment 205363
Hello beautiful. I was thinking of all of you over the weekend :love: . Was going to reach out for updated pics :D . V is looking amazing xoxo .

So handsome !. Septiseye as well just shed . Oh he was in a mood which never ever happens . He just wanted to be in his window checking out the world .

Awww, poor baby. I was surprised to see that V was already done this morning except for just a couple of little pieces. Now he is shedding on a schedule and each time has been easier and easier for him. I love how even tho he was in a bad mood he still came over to me when I opened his cage. I love this stinker!

Awww, poor baby. I was surprised to see that V was already done this morning except for just a couple of little pieces. Now he is shedding on a schedule and each time has been easier and easier for him. I love how even tho he was in a bad mood he still came over to me when I opened his cage. I love this stinker!
They shed fast . Septiseye too he was just in a mood which he never is . I suppose to other it really would not have been a mood lol .

I'm so sorry for your loss, I too lost my first chameleon, but he got out of our back fence and into the trees behind our house. I cried for weeks and couldn't eat or sleep.
I adopted Pickles, who has severe gout and needs special care. I will forever miss my little Kai, but if not for his loss, Pickles would not be alive today. He is a sweet and loveable little guy.
I'm so glad you also have a happy ending. These little ones steal our hearts and we cannot seem to by happy without them. They are so unique and so special :)

I'm so sorry for your loss, I too lost my first chameleon, but he got out of our back fence and into the trees behind our house. I cried for weeks and couldn't eat or sleep.
I adopted Pickles, who has severe gout and needs special care. I will forever miss my little Kai, but if not for his loss, Pickles would not be alive today. He is a sweet and loveable little guy.
I'm so glad you also have a happy ending. These little ones steal our hearts and we cannot seem to by happy without them. They are so unique and so special :)

Wow, our stories are very similar. It is amazing how they wrap us around their little, well, feet :love: I know exactly how you feel. Proteus will never be forgotten and remains loved.

Wow, our stories are very similar. It is amazing how they wrap us around their little, well, feet :love: I know exactly how you feel. Proteus will never be forgotten and remains loved.

Ha ha ha ha ha...yes, those little feet are just too cute!! We will always love those little ones we have lost. I still cry whenever I look at pictures of Kai, maybe someday I can look at them and smile instead of crying my eyes out. We lost 2 little ones, but saved 2 as well (y) we've done good..lol.

Ha ha ha ha ha...yes, those little feet are just too cute!! We will always love those little ones we have lost. I still cry whenever I look at pictures of Kai, maybe someday I can look at them and smile instead of crying my eyes out. We lost 2 little ones, but saved 2 as well (y) we've done good..lol.

Absolutely you have! I have pictures and videos of Proteus and it is still painful to look at them. The guilt that I caused his death is still there. I know that something good came of it and that is what makes things a little better.

Absolutely you have! I have pictures and videos of Proteus and it is still painful to look at them. The guilt that I caused his death is still there. I know that something good came of it and that is what makes things a little better.

I know what you mean. I accidentally came across the last video I took of him the day he got out of the yard. I cried for hours....he died because of me :(. I try not to think about it, but it still hurts. Looking at Pickles and holding him, gives me peace and knowing that I save him from neglect & certain death. Something good did come out of an awful situation for me & for you too:) We have new little ones that need us to care for them. :)

Back
Top Bottom