Update on the female that has been gravid for 55+ days

pssh

Avid Member
Alrighty, well I thought I'd give an update and timeline for anyone who wanted to know about it.

Adult 18 month old female panther who weighed 42 grams prior to breeding has been gravid for 55+ days.

Timeline (approx dates, lost the exact ones):

Male and female mated:
--November 6-10
Female became gravid
--November 16-17
30 days gravid:
--December 15-16
40 days gravid:
--December 25-26
50 days gravid:
--January 4-5
55 days gravid:
--January 10-11

A few recorded weights (I was wrong in my old thread)

Prior to being bred:
--42 grams
At 40 days:
--49 grams
At 55 days:
--54 grams

The vet has decided that he wants to wait a few more days before giving oxytocin because she is showing no outward signs of dystocia (being egg bound.) If she still has not begun to dig by the next appointment she will be given oxytocin.

Yes, she is small. I have spoken with several experienced breeders and with their advice I have made the decision to breed her. The male she was paired with is also small (100 grams at 18-19 months old.) There are no apparent reasons for these animals to be so small. They have been checked over by multiple vets and we could not find anything.

Edit: She looks like she is going to pop. I will take pictures of her with my phone (and if I get the chance, my nicer camera) for anyone that wants to see her.

Pictures of her just being woken up after taking a ride in the dreaded travel shoe box.

4b11d5dc.jpg

de5f7df5.jpg

475dc7c9.jpg

c9ccb94a.jpg

I attempted to breed 1 of my females 3 times...
The first time I put the pair together (both their first time), took the male a while to get it right, but I didnt really see a copulation-looked like there was...
I had them together a few days then the female started showing gravid colours, I removed her and went about treating her as a gravid female, she ended up not laying and I was worried about her being eggbound. 2 and a half months down the line and she is still with me and has not had any large weight gain not long after that she shows receptive colours again, I introduce them and the exact same thing happens...very frustrating, now they have been bred on christmas and I DID see a successful copulation. She looks lumpy when she sleeps and other times it looks like she just has a gold ball inside her.

Is your female full grown? You said she was only 42grams when she was bred. I waited for my female to reach around 50-60 grams.
There is another one of my females that is close to maturity but is small and only weighs around 30 grams. Though she is close to maturity I will wait till she is 50 grams.

Good luck with your girl, hope she lays for you!

I attempted to breed 1 of my females 3 times...
The first time I put the pair together (both their first time), took the male a while to get it right, but I didnt really see a copulation-looked like there was...
I had them together a few days then the female started showing gravid colours, I removed her and went about treating her as a gravid female, she ended up not laying and I was worried about her being eggbound. 2 and a half months down the line and she is still with me and has not had any large weight gain not long after that she shows receptive colours again, I introduce them and the exact same thing happens...very frustrating, now they have been bred on christmas and I DID see a successful copulation. She looks lumpy when she sleeps and other times it looks like she just has a gold ball inside her.

Is your female full grown? You said she was only 42grams when she was bred. I waited for my female to reach around 50-60 grams.
There is another one of my females that is close to maturity but is small and only weighs around 30 grams. Though she is close to maturity I will wait till she is 50 grams.

Good luck with your girl, hope she lays for you!

I hope your Girl lays for you 2 :D

Please dude I want one of your females when the time is rite so that Jimbo gets some huba huba :p Ill buy it and you can have half of the first clutch.

Also want to see if we can continue the Red barred ambanja line without mixing brothers and sisters.

Yeah, today she is roaming around the cage a lot, staying close to the laying bin though and has stoped eating for a while now...so holding thumbs to see if she starts digging.

Will definetely keep a female for you whem I have the female that meets your needs :D lol

We should see how Jimbo is going to turn out colourwise then we can create some bloodlines :D

The babies of one of the females will be from a dad that is extremely blue with red/purple spots so must definetely create some good bloodlines.

Oh my goodness, I'm surprised she doesn't just roll around in the box! :D Poor thing, she must be dying for the eggs to come out already, I can imagine she's not comfortable. Hopefully any day now you have success.

Did you try just leaving her abandoned in a large laying bin? I can't remember all the options you said you tried in the other thread.

Yeah, she's an adult. (I wrote about it in the original post, I believe the second to last paragraph.) she is 18 months old. I know for a fact that she has eggs as I can feel several of them and you can even see a few small egg lumps in the photos.

Yes! She has been in a huge 18x36 cylindrical laying bin for the last two weeks! I even potted a plant in case she wanted to dig into a plant. The little stinker is probably making me worry on purpose! :(

Oddly enough, little chubchub is still eating! Not as much as before, but she still chases down the bugs!!

I know! She's huge! She still has all sorts of fight in her though, lol! I warned them, but she bit the vet and anyone else who touched her. :D

No, he didn't think it was necessary yet.

Ughhhhh! Chubby started to dig today. I bet she waited until I took her to the vets just to get me worried and mad! The little stinker!

We had actually planned to give the oxytocin today or tomorrow. Go figure.

Glad to hear that she is finally digging! Make sure she doesn't see you now so there won't be any chance of her stopping!

I hope she gets on with the job properly now! I think you probably have a few grey hairs after all that! My dear little Amy didn't stop eating either - she had a nice big locust for breakfast on the day she laid hers! She's just a little fat piggy, lol!

She finished laying just now! She looks soooo much smaller! :) I don't have time to count the eggs right now as I have an appointment, but I will let you all know how many there are later!

That awesome! She didnt waste any time after she started huh. My girls usually fart around and dig for a day or two and keep me worrying. I guess she figured she caused you enuff drama. At least til she lays her retained clutch. hahahha (evil laugh)

I know! I guess she means business! Cook them for extra long, eat non-stop, then dig and lay in less than 4 hours!

I hope the next clutch goes more smoothly! I was getting afraid that she wouldn't be able to pass them because they got too big. And we all know how well chameleons take surgery! :eek:

congrats! whats the egg count? for a small girl i bet it was still a big clutch. i recently had a girl unknowingly hold onto 22 eggs without me knowing! i just receieved her and she merely looked healthy. so i thought nothing of it. but your girl looks gynormous, must have ben a clutch and a half....

Back
Top Bottom