Unusual bumps

jandie

They remind me of swollen lymph nodes....especially bc if you consider a human, that can often happen in the "armpit" area....

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Female ankaramy, between 11-12 mos old; we've only had her for about 2 months and she has not been seen by a vet within that time, but no problems prior to the past 2 weeks
* Handling - maybe once a week with cleanings
* Feeding - crickets are the basic diet with hornworms and butterworms every couple weeks, occasional silks....number dependent on if she still seems hungry or not, but she eats daily still and approx 7-10 medium crickets a day; crickets are gutloaded with cricket crack, some of the dry meal food that the vet recommended (can't remember the name) and occasional greens (collard) and fruits
* Supplements - Calcium without D3 every other day and with D3 about once a month with a multi-vitamin 2x/mo
* Watering - handmisting 2x/day most days and a "big dripper" throughout the day...she's my best drinker.... =)
* Fecal Description - no testing since i've had her; fecals tend to be on the moist side but primarily when using the hornworms; most urates are almost solid white
* History - currently gravid and just waiting for her to lay....(yes, she has a good deep bin full of play sand in her cage with her...though yesterday, she was trying to dig in the dirt with her plant...lol...didn't get very far i don't think)

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - all screen/metal...from LLL, can't remember the height but it's the "medium" height cage (not the baby one but similar to what they have on display in most reptile stores)
* Lighting - currently has a powersun 100w (we're in the process of switching all of them over to the reptisuns, but that's what she has for now); typically on from around 7:30a-8:00pm, depending on my work schedule
* Temperature - basking temp between 85-87, higher spots around 90 but still not right under her light; ambient room temp around 71
* Humidity & plants: Large camelia with some additional fake vines with humidity typically in the 50-60 range
* Placement - bottom of the cage is about waist high; located in a spare bedroom in the back part of the house with the other cages, no cats or dogs allowed in the room; not under or over any vents directly
* Location - so Cal

Current Problem - Current concern (aside from the gravid and egg laying...) mentioned above about two unusual "lumps" that have developed.... hopefully the pic links will work....she has one on each side (though the pics just show the one side...)

PC290565.jpg

PC290568.jpg

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated =)

Last edited:
In the second pic it looks like whatever was inside the lump has drained away or been re-absorbed leaving a pocket of stretched skin. Many gravid chams can develop some edema around the throat, neck or even into the breast area...I wonder if this might be one way it shows up in oustaleti? Abscesses in chams don't contain liquid like in mammals...rather its a cheesy material that doesn't drain on its own.

I haven't seen anything like this before but the fact that there is one on each side makes me think it is something systemic or metabolic rather than a localized infection or abscess. Find out what's in that "dry food" the vet suggested for the feeders. It might be too high in the wrong
proteins, one particular vitamin or amino acid (something not developed for a cham)...don't know. Cricket crack, fresh dark leafy greens, fruit and bee pollen should be more than adequate for gutloading.

Ooops, thought you were asking about an Oustaleti sorry! I like her violet cheeks!

someone suggested almost like "mammary" type gland development due to being gravid, but that didn't sound right to me.... i think the vet blend is primarily greens and grains and such....but i'll try to find out. our other girl (who just laid) never developed anything like this...but the two pictures were taken the same day....

There are no mammary glands since it is not a mammal and has no need to produce milk for its young so whoever told you that probably doesn't know very much about reptiles...

I don't have any ideas about this one, hopefully someone else will, I just wanted to clear up the 'mammary' issue! :)

There are no mammary glands since it is not a mammal and has no need to produce milk for its young so whoever told you that probably doesn't know very much about reptiles...

I don't have any ideas about this one, hopefully someone else will, I just wanted to clear up the 'mammary' issue! :)

lol...i know they aren't mammary glands...it was just suggested it was something similar....and yes, you're right, not very knowledgeable about reptiles...but i think it was more the suggestion of something associated with being preggo. :D

thanks, carlton!!! =) i'm hoping her babies might carry that on...

well, took azlynn in to the vet this morning, and like pretty much all of us...lol...he had "no idea" what the bumps are. he did x-rays for eggs and we looked at those - they don't appear to be calcium deposits based on the x-rays and they're soft, not hard lumps, so he pretty much said just to keep an eye on them and update him if there's any change or they don't go away....

she didn't have eggs, only follicles, so he's hoping maybe they will "dissolve" or go away when those are re-absorbed... :rolleyes:

she doen't need that much suplimentation at this point in her life...unless gravid.
gutloading right now needs to change for the better. I also want to know every ingredient in the vet's gutload or stop using it if you can't get that info.
start gutloading with more fresh greens and fruits. Strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, and almost always orange slices. stay away from carrots for a while. use organic that is washed at home if possable.

when a vet doesn't know what's going on, a good bloodwork with results given to you could help us understand or look for things we can't see without it...not saying you have to go back now, but if you do go back, it could help.

Harry

I was hoping to see an answer on this one.

I have seen this on fat bearded dragons and fat leopard geckos.

I think it is somehow related to being fat, but I don't think it is fat deposits. Could it be a manifestation of some deficiency or surplus in the diet related to becoming fat, rather than fatness itself?

I have no idea and never had the opportunity to open one of these lizards up after it passed away.

So I was really curious about what it might be.

Please let us know if you learn more.

Ive seen those before on females that have just laid. Its just stretched out skin from being gravid. They often form edema around the gular/throat areas this stretches the skin for a prolonged period of time. After time it may tighten up some but it wont ever completely go awy. At least it didnt on the female I witnessed that had the same thing. But I do agree with Harry/Warp
if you dont know the ingredients in your dry gutload. Your asking for trouble. Imo.

I have a male panther chameleon (4 yrs old), that got neck edema, and got the underarm bubbled areas. (Gut tells me it's from not understanding nutrition properly/but now i do and my chameleon is looking better)
Vet still doesn't know how this happened : 2 blood work tests and neck fluid test doesn't show anything wrong.

It's been 6 months since the edema started to show, I have had him to the vet with blood tests and been to 2 vets trying to resolve the problem. I asked the vet if we could drain his neck and he said yes and we could have it sent to the lab. We have had it drained 2 times now ( less fluid drained off each visit), and the underarm areas aren't as full with fluid. The skin may go back to normal, but as of right now (5 weeks from the 1st drainage), it's less, but skin still stretched. His neck edema comes and goes now, but he overall seems better, on the way to recovery.

I hope my experience helps. It's nice to have others who you can relate with. :)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg My female has the same bumps / slight edema going on ... Not exactly sure what causes it - when she was young it happened to me and I changed my vitamin supplement to herptivite and my d3 supplement to miner-all indoor formula and these changes seemed to correct the problem when she was young but now it's back and she's about 5 maybe 5 and half months old ... Anyone have any ideas on what to change now ? Just 5 days ago I noticed it and immediately slowed up on my supplementing and have attempted to get her to drink more water but she seems to hide from the water everytime it mists ... I only use d3 twice a month and the vitamins twice a month and I was doing regular calcium everyday but im not totally sure if this problem is caused by phosphorus / calcium imbalances ? So far it hasn't gotten any better - not sure if using less calcium is helping my situation or not .. Does anyone have the same issue and do you know what you had to change to correct it ? All I know is that it's probably due to over or under supplementing but I can't figure out which one it is :(

Back
Top Bottom